Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#806611 - 12/11/12 03:19 PM Mad in Michigan
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Adna
Lansing, MI.

The day after President Obama spoke to the union faithful in Michigan (MI) yesterday, union members gathered to protest "Right to Work" bills slated to be voted on today in the MI State Legislature.

Violence ensued, arrests were made.

Let me state, I was a union member for nearly 20 years. Intl. Assoc. of Machinists. Local 751.

I don't know exactly what the new "Right to Work" laws in MI will look like. It seems clear however that the union bosses are not a bit pleased.

At Boeing, before retiring in 1991, I had a choice. Be a card carrying member of IAM Local 751, or not. The thing was, Boeing would deduct your monthly union dues from your paycheck regardless of your union membership status. So....why not be a member of the union...right?

Perhaps those defiant UAW guys in MI should start to ask themselves how all these sweet labors deals we had going on led us to this?
Oh and not to besmirch the teachers union, the teamsters, and all the others, I saw you guys waving your signs around today also.

#806634 - 12/11/12 04:34 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
Equinox Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The "Rock"
I'm not on either side of the fence yet with this.

Do you think those Chrysler workers would have gotten their job back if they were non-union???

Nope is the answer...

#806635 - 12/11/12 04:36 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: Hankster
They'll look like you won't be forced to pay union dues if you want to work.

You are a spinner.

And not the good kind.

#806639 - 12/11/12 04:57 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Why, you've already informed everyone of what they are, right?

"You don't have to pay union dues to work."

I'm sure it is really that simple and that is all there is to it.

#806643 - 12/11/12 05:11 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Organized Labor's taking it on the chin.....again.

But then I've seen a couple of my Union Brother's land a few as well.

Sad day.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#806736 - 12/11/12 10:16 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I won't predict the outcome, but it will be interesting. My question might be, will it be that seniority which presently breeds lazy workers lose union support, or will it create more openings for those lower on the ladder, but will skills and ambition?

#806738 - 12/11/12 10:20 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ParaLeaks]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Here's a prediction that you can book...average take home pay will drop by about 8 to 15 percent in Michigan now.

You may fool yourself into thinking that with that savings the "job creators" will create more jobs. They will...for travel brokers and yacht manufacturers. They won't create any more in their factories, that's for damn sure.

I don't really like the idea that folks have to pay into the Union in some jobs, in some states, to be honest with you...but this is a 100% fact: in the states where they do, they make more money.

Period.

Pretending that this is good for anyone other than upper management and ownership is either some excellent denial, or just lying.

As with most right wing propaganda, there's a handful of liars, and a mountain of chumps. If you're posting here, you're probably one of the chumps.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#806769 - 12/11/12 11:07 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Hank, it's average take home pay that will drop...for the unionized workers (and the hangers on) who keep their paychecks high, there are the rest who will lose a lot more than the 8-15%...that's just the average lost pay.

Speaking of hangers on...the unions need to find a way to make sure that when they collectively bargain for a shop that those who chose to not pay union dues do NOT get the benefit of the union bargaining on their behalf.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#806774 - 12/11/12 11:27 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
All I care about is getting more people donating to my retirement.......

get to work, you lazy bastages! I need ...............something....... and you're gonna buy it! I love you all!! smile

#806780 - 12/11/12 11:36 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
KACC paid their workers in Pleasanton, CA at the Center for Technology
more than the unions got for various skill categories. Paid a bit extra
and they could afford to since there no lost time episodes playing
the grievance game and shop stewards and all the rest of the chaff
that goes with the Union.
As was said, some unions are good for all, some are not and breed
offshore employment for those jobs removed from the local scene.

#806880 - 12/12/12 11:57 AM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: Illyrian]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
Bravo! the Michigan 'right to work' laws were passed.
Shouldn't have to join any club to have the right to earn a living.

#806882 - 12/12/12 12:04 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: Illyrian]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
People should be promoted and moved up in position based on what they bring to the table, not how long they've been around.

#806888 - 12/12/12 12:19 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: fish4brains]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

My garbage man makes a $100k and recently went on strike because the recyclers ONLY make $80k...

If you fired them all and reopened the job for $50k, you'd have a line a mile long of people willing to perform the same unskilled task and theoretically (of course) my garbage bill would go down.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#806901 - 12/12/12 01:15 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
http://autos.aol.com/article/chrysler-rehires-drinking-drugging-workers/

Yep unions are great for the employer and fellow workers

#806902 - 12/12/12 01:19 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: JTD]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Originally Posted By: JTD

My garbage man makes a $100k and recently went on strike because the recyclers ONLY make $80k...

If you fired them all and reopened the job for $50k, you'd have a line a mile long of people willing to perform the same unskilled task and theoretically (of course) my garbage bill would go down.

Looks like I need to be a garbage man in your county seeing as the average in the rest of the state is somewhere around 37K-54K.

#806913 - 12/12/12 01:57 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: gvbest]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: gvbest

Looks like I need to be a garbage man in your county seeing as the average in the rest of the state is somewhere around 37K-54K.

Waste Management said its most recent previous offer was a six-year deal that would raise average salaries from $58,000 to $68,000 a year. If benefits are included, that offer was worth $98,000 a year to a driver at the end of the sixth year, the company said.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-08-01/trash-piling-up-as-strike-drags-on-in-seattle-area

Benefits are a real expense to an employer and a customer.

In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#806915 - 12/12/12 02:03 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: JTD]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper

Benefits are a real expense to an employer and a customer.

+1

#806917 - 12/12/12 02:13 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: fish4brains]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Michigan already has the highest rate of union membership in the Midwest. It also has the highest rate of unemployment in the Midwest.

Over the past couple of decades, thousands of businesses in Michigan have either closed down or moved facilities overseas.

Did the unions prevent any of that? ....No!

If union bosses really wanted to do some good, they would be organizing protests against our incredibly foolish trade policies. But instead, they tell their members to vote for politicians like Obama and then run out to the stores and fill their carts with huge piles of cheap P.O.S. products that were made in China.

Union workers need to wake up to one fundamental economic fact – in a one world economic system, the big corporations simply do not need you. They can make their products in lots of other countries where it is legal to pay slave labor wages. This phenom is happening in almost every industry where it is possible to do so.

#806920 - 12/12/12 02:34 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

My fiance' voted for Obama and I suggested that she just signed away money that we WOULD have seen, at 55%.

real money out of HER pocket...

She had no idea but thought social issues were more important than financial policies.

oops.

beathead

Edited by JTD (12/12/12 02:35 PM)

#806921 - 12/12/12 02:34 PM Re: Mad in Michigan [Re: ]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
I can't wait to see the benefits that all Americans receive from the next 4 years.
Raising the inheritance tax on previously taxed dollars is a perfect example of government theft.
55% is a joke.

Pay your fair share........You didn't build that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |