Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80735 - 03/08/99 06:46 PM Directions to Zipperlip
fish-on Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: camano island
Does anyone have an idea on which river Bob our host is referring to when he mentions "Zipperlip" river??? Thanks in advance.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fish-on (edited 03-10-99).]

#80736 - 03/08/99 08:20 PM Re: Directions to Zipperlip
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
I really do hope you are kidding!!!
But while you are looking for a good productive river to fish why dont you look for the River Styx. I heard it has really been pumping out the fish!!!
Tight Lines
Ryan S. Petzold

#80737 - 03/09/99 12:21 PM Re: Directions to Zipperlip
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The Zipperlip is easy to find. First, head north by southwest on the two lane highway. At the campground, take a left. Turn right after a few miles, it's approximately the 223rd douglas fir tree that marks the spot. Head off into the woods. Look for which side of the tree the moss is growing on. It helps to walk in circles around the tree a few times. The fishermen in the know have left branches and leaves on the ground to mark the secret trail. Anywhere you see them, walk that way.
When you get to the river, the best holes are generally upstream. Go that way, and keep walking. I generally hook my fish in the river, preferably near a rock.
E-mail me if you need anything else.
By the way, these directions work on Puget Sound, the Peninsula, and sometimes in Oregon, if it's summertime. For winter Oregon fishing on the Zipperlip, change the directions so that they are opposite of the above, but still go upstream and fish behind the rocks rather than in front of them.
Good Luck.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#80738 - 03/09/99 10:16 PM Re: Directions to Zipperlip
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about on the east side of the cascades, how do these directions need to be modified for those rivers. I assume that the directions and tactics would be different....

#80739 - 03/10/99 11:55 AM Re: Directions to Zipperlip
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Hey, Wit, do they have steelhead on the East Side? I didn't even know there were rivers there! :-)
*LOL*
I would guess the directions would still work, though you may have to substitute dirt roads for the highway, Ponderosa Pines for the Douglas Firs, or maybe corn stalks, and follow the cow trails, especially those with cow pies. (Remember, though, they're only hard on the outside).
I haven't done any research on the upstream/downstream distinction, but I feel confident that fishing behind rocks is always more productive than fishing in front of them, unless pulling plugs in a boat. In Eastern WA, it probably doesn't matter much because if you go upstream, you'll hit a dam within ten minutes, and if you go downstream, you'll run into a lake and catch walleyes. You'll have to experiment.
Good Luck!

#80740 - 03/10/99 08:18 PM Re: Directions to Zipperlip
JK Offline
Spawner

Loc: KIrkland, Wa, USA
I know the river, but my lips are sealed...I'll give you a hint though...It's on the west coast of Canada and its not the Frazier.

#80741 - 03/10/99 11:04 PM Re: Directions to Zipperlip
Dino Offline
Smolt

Loc: Walla Walla,WA
Bob's zipperlip was revealed some time ago...what is the secret? Any book containing the words "Canada" and "Steelhead" will have about four chapters on the river. It's location and regulations may protect it some but it is not secret (at least the zipperlip I was talking about). Hit a good library and you'll figure it out.

#80742 - 03/11/99 03:15 PM Re: Directions to Zipperlip
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I think you'd find the main system easily enough, but the key is what tributary is Bob catching all those pigs in. The system's only got about two hundred tribs.
Good luck.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, steely slammer, 1 invisible), 980 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645365 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |