THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#809008 - 12/21/12 12:40 PM Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion)
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
More guns! Armed police at all schools.

$$$

We're turning into Israel but unfortunately, we don't have a Sugar Daddy (another U.S.) to pay for all of it.

#809010 - 12/21/12 12:45 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
I know one gun in the hands of the principal at that school last friday would have helped.

j7 2012

#809011 - 12/21/12 12:46 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
So you have been to Isreal AP and can compare the two?

#809012 - 12/21/12 12:50 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Us and Them]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Yeah, nobody knows anything about places they haven't been to.

You know, because there aren't any books, magazines, television, or any other way to gather info.

Solid effort, as always, TJ.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#809016 - 12/21/12 01:01 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Dan S.]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

In my experience no. The only part of the US that even comes close to resembling Israel in the Arizona and Texas borders out of the 40+ states that I have visited. You keep reading books and magazines and watching TV for experience we need more people short on experience and long on opinion. Pun intended of course. If we were like Isreal everyone would have served in the military, handled a weapon and understood what living under a real threat was all about instead of talking out of your ass which is your specialty. .

#809018 - 12/21/12 01:08 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Us and Them]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
You're so awesome.

Clearly, you're the best.

My specialty is laughing it you, and you never fail to provide another reason to laugh.

Go sip some wine, Sally.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#809020 - 12/21/12 01:17 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Dan S.]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Deep as usual, Nancy.

#809021 - 12/21/12 01:19 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Dan S.]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Not too impressed by their suggestion unless they follow it through all the way.

Certainly would be a job creator, with over 130,000 schools in the US. (public and private k-12)

Lets assume $80,000/yr per officer for salary, equipment, training and benefits.

That is only $10.4 Billion (Big B).

With an estimated 10.8 million guns sold last year, just to pay for that the tax would be about $1,000 per gun. Applications this year were about 16.8 million so far, so assuming that was the actual figure, the cost per gun is only $620.

Maybe adding onto the 10-11% excise tax on firearms and ammunition would reduce the overall cost on a per gun basis, but really this is just another unfunded mandate (Mandate of the NRA). It is just as irresponsible for them to suggest this, as it is for the US Congress, or our State elected critters to do the same thing. Create a program without adequately providing for a revenue stream to pay for it.

Sorry, I live for story problems.

On the subject of facts I found this interesting tidbit in the NRA article on MSN.com .

"The rate of firearms-related murders in 2011 was 3.2 per 100,000 people. In 1993 the rate of firearms-related murders was 6.6 per 100,000 people. The number of firearms-related murder victims dropped from more than 17,000 in 1993 to 9,903 in 2011.

Yet the shootings in Connecticut have raised the possibility that Congress might enact restrictive legislation that would incorporate the 1994 ban as well as measures to increase funding for treatment of mentally ill people.
"

So with gun related murders dropping by close to half, 42%, why is there a need for a gun ban? I don't see the other side of the argument there.

Hopefully someone will come up with meaningful legislation that will both protect the public at large, and not take away the rights of law abiding citizens. Sadly, until we can figure out a way to get criminals to obey the law, there will still be crime.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#809026 - 12/21/12 01:39 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Dogfish]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I, for one, thoroughly enjoy your story problems Dogfish.
Especially because they are brutally honest thumbs

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#809028 - 12/21/12 01:44 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: ]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Seems to me that the NRA may have jumped the shark today.

#809029 - 12/21/12 01:48 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

That information was from MSNBC in the article that on the NRA. Those numbers are not the NRA's.

The ban expired in 2004 and weapon sales have increased significantly since that time. If the amount of guns on the street directly or indirectly correlated to an increase in murders, then the murder rate should be much higher than before the ban.

After the ban ended, from 2007-2012 there were over 77 million applications processed to purchase guns in the US. In excess of 10 million per year. Wouldn't this have led to a greatly increased murder rate? Well, it didn't, so the anti gun folks are wrong when they say the availability of more guns leades to a higher rate of murders.

I am a pro gun person, provided that they are used responsibly.

#809030 - 12/21/12 01:56 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Us and Them]
Hippie

Originally Posted By: Tom Joad
The only part of the US that even comes close to resembling Israel in the Arizona and Texas borders out of the 40+ states that I have visited.

Wow, that is what you got from what I said? This might explain why people react to you the way they do.

What I was getting at is that the additional homeland security proposed is insane as far as cost:benefit. Schools are already drastically underfunded (so much so that the WA State Supreme Court had to step in) yet no one is eager to provide additional tax dollars. And now we considering adding another 100,000+ people to stand around with guns in an attempt to limit unpredicatable future events. I just think there has to be some rational thought about what we are going to spend and what we are actually getting for our money.

I also find it incredibly interesting to see the flip-flopping of people that always shout about "smaller government" and the "nanny state" yet seem to hop on board as soon as they get scared.

#809034 - 12/21/12 02:04 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: NOFISH]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: NOFISH

Ya think!

#809036 - 12/21/12 02:18 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: Bucket/Good Sport

Ya think!

Its the banker/economist in me. Sorry.

#809037 - 12/21/12 02:21 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Dogfish,

Story problems have long been my favorite as well. I find that they are more readily solved using rational analysis than visceral knowledge (emotion). Unfortunately the 2nd Amendment and gun control debates use little to none of the former and a too big heaping of the latter. I probably qualify for cranky old fart status by being annoyed by well paid government representatives engaging in debate using visceral knowledge. WTF.

Sg

#809038 - 12/21/12 02:24 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Dogfish]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Originally Posted By: Bucket/Good Sport

Ya think!

Its the banker/economist in me. Sorry.

Now your annoying me. Never and I mean NEVER say your sorry for being honest (even if it is brutal).

Have a good day ladies and gentlemen!

#809044 - 12/21/12 02:36 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: ]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Let teachers/administrators carry if they wish to. Don't make it a mandate, just let it be OK. No extra pay. No extra training. Just let them shoot back.

#809047 - 12/21/12 02:39 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Salmo g.]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Pot Kettle AP. I support zero of that the NRA proposes and I support zero about what the govt. has said so far. Me personally I think we already live in a police state where people take next to zero responsibility for their own safety. I think we have way too many police. The schools are no where near underfunded. Take all the BS programs out of the schools and there is plenty of money to do the best job in the world. Again go to China, India and other countries and see how they do more with less instead of relying on TV and magazines to form your opinion. People react the way they react because they surround themselves with like thinkers and reject anything that challenges their views. That’s why you and your cabal won't read dissenting opinions from sources not approved by the Cabal. You care more about who says it than what is said. You don’t have the nuts to say what you think because your friends might think differently of you. Your comment about Israel says it all, that is the mainstream liberal opinion, Israel is bad and only successful because of US funding. Never having set foot on the ground. The NRA does the same as you in terms of pandering to its audience but they are worse. Give me a friken break.

Edited by Tom Joad (12/21/12 02:41 PM)

#809052 - 12/21/12 02:57 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: Us and Them]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Armed guards seems to work pretty well for the politicians pampered a$$es. Anyone been to D.C. since 911 and not seen armed guards hanging around there little meeting hall. I agree that putting a cop at every school will look and feel more like a police state but it is effective. I kinda agree with Gutz get rid of "gun free zones" and let the teachers shoot back. It will reduce police pressesnce and even the fight (at this point its a fight). I think training them and setting up an arms room/locker for them would come at a cost but there is no way that any reaction from these tragedies is free. I'd think training and arming would be cheaper than hiring new and arming.

j7 2012

#809056 - 12/21/12 03:11 PM Re: Surprise, surprise (The NRA's suggestion) [Re: j 7]
Hippie

Choad, you're in typical form.

I'm not sure exactly what I said that has seemed to piss you off so much? Since your reading comprehension seems to lagging, I'll tell you that we appear to be agreeing on the basics here. You think there are too many police. I'm saying I don't think we should have additional police in schools (because it is costly and not effective... just like other "security" measures I've pointed out for 10+ years on this board).

For some reason, you also devoted a lot of your words to tell me what I think. More impressively, you got most of it wrong.

P.S. You seem REALLY obsessed about Israel and, particularly, about assigning things to me that I didn't say.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1433 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |