Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81133 - 03/29/99 12:11 AM Info on one man rafts
Dave Offline
Egg

Loc: Forks
I'm getting ready to purchase a one man raft. I have looked at them for about two years now and there is a lot of them out there and different price ranges. Does anyone have one for sale or a recommendation on brand and options that I would want? Will be using it for the west end rivers. What about the foot rest bar versus the adjustable pegs? Would a 10 footer be better than the 8ft? Thanks for any replies.

#81134 - 03/29/99 11:30 AM Re: Info on one man rafts
Lazy Drifter Offline
Fry

Loc: Darrington, WA
If you are talking about pontoon boats, there are lots of options.For really knarly white water I would spend some money and go with pontoons with welded seams and multiple air chambers per pontoon.I've heard some people complain about the pontoon styles that have an air bladder with the PVC outer covering. They say that gravel will get in between the two and cause abrasion.
I have a 9ft built by Outcast that has air bladders and have never had a problem.It cost about $500.My Outcast does not have welded seams either. The Outcast boats with welded seams come with a ten year warranty I think. My boat has adjustable foot pegs and they work fine.As far as 10ft vs. 8ft, that depends. I weigh almost 230lbs and the 9ft floats me pretty good.One of the reasons to have a raft vs. a hard bottom drift boat is they are easy to launch and carry around.I have a friend who has a 10ft pontoon boat made by Bucks Bags.We were floating a local river a few weeks ago and came upon some sweepers. I lifted my boat up with one arm and carried it around( it weighs about 40lbs).I had to help him with his and I think my drift boat is easier to push than it was to carry that thing. Of coarse he has everything but the kitchen sink attached to it.
Anyway, I hope this gives you some info. Also, I ordered my boat from Anglers Inn out of Utah.

#81135 - 03/29/99 05:08 PM Re: Info on one man rafts
Anonymous
Unregistered

LD-

Can you provide me with an address, phone number or web page to contact Angler's Inn??? Thanks in advance. Also, where are there any cataraft dealers in WA??? Thanks in advance.

Boto

#81136 - 03/30/99 12:31 AM Re: Info on one man rafts
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
If you want the advice of someone who rows a boat for a living ... the Outcast, period ... go with the cataract oar option ... the blades do not sink like the carlisles so you can drop the oars while free floating & casting without fear of them sinking, hitiing a rock, and then flipping you. I run an 800 ... the 1000 is nice with the extra weight capacity for totin' gear, but at that point it becomes clumsy to tote around into those places where the pontoon boats are most advantageous ... I would go with the 800 again. Ted's is Lynnwood carries several versions of the pontoon boats ... remember one thing when you pick out a boat ... your life depends upon the performance, safety features, and durability of the boat ...

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 03-29-99).]

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#81137 - 03/30/99 12:33 PM Re: Info on one man rafts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob....What about the Skookum. Have you checked that one out. I have been looking at them and it seems that it is better built and has the front platform for standing. I am not sure how stable it is as I have never used either one. Let me know what you think. By the way...I am the guy that was giving my buddy [Bleeeeep!] on the Hoh on Saturday for playing bumper boats when you went bye.

#81138 - 03/30/99 02:58 PM Re: Info on one man rafts
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
I don't know, the Skookum products boat is pretty hard to beat from a durablity stand point and for about the same cost as a Outcast Pac 800

#81139 - 03/30/99 07:30 PM Re: Info on one man rafts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chances are you will never find the best boat for your use configured as a package from any given supplier.

I own three cats, a 9' X 12" Skookum and (2) Maravia's at 12' X 20" and 14' X 24".

The best one man configuration I could reccommend for fishing is a frame from Skookum and tubes from one of the following:

1) Maravia, 8' or 10' X 18" or 20"
2) Aire"Outcast" 8' or 10' X 18"

The off the shelf frame from Skookum is by far more durable and versitile than those provided on Outcast Cats. While this is true, the Skookum tube diameter of 12" is by far less boyant than the 18 or 20" diameter offered by Aire or Maravia.

I weigh 200 Lbs. and with gear, the Skookum is loaded to about 300 Lbs. and the floor of the boat is at water level. "it becomes sluggish"

Skookum's 9' Steelheader model is rated for 500 Lbs.. I Think what Bill Day means is that it will float.

Maravia and Aire rate capasity by
submerging the tubes to 1/4 the diameter which will not significantly reduce the manuverability of the craft. The 12' X 20" Maravia tubes are rated for 550 Lbs. and with this load it will live up to the name Cat Boat.

Maravia and Aire"Outcast" are top of the line tubes and the difference in cost will be less than $ 200.00.

Maravia tubes are PVC coated nylon cloth
with welded seams. Upon compleation of the welding, the entire tube is encapsulated with urathane for further durability and UV protection.

Aire"Outcast" outer tubes are PVC coated nylon with welded seams. The outer tube then receives an inner urathane bladder for air retention.

Maravia's material is tuffer and offers superior UV resistance.

Aire"Outcast" is by far more eaisily repairable in the feild. Duct tape the inner bladder untill you reach the comfort of home or camp.

Neither of the two will likely fail from puncture. Also Bob's point is valid when running rivers like the upper Duc or Calawah, your safty depends on your equipment, so don't cut corners.

Go to the WEB pages of Maravia.com & Aire.com

#81140 - 03/30/99 11:04 PM Re: Info on one man rafts
Dave Offline
Egg

Loc: Forks
Thanks for all the information. I purchased the Renegade made by J.W. outfitters. Its a 8ft.6inch model rated for 500lbs. Came with a lift and lock anchor system, oars, two storage bags and a rear cargo deck. It appears to be well built and for the price I just could not pass on it. I hope no one has any horror stories about this one. I can't wait for some low water!

#81141 - 04/01/99 01:43 AM Re: Info on one man rafts
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Brian ... when I looked at the Skookum, there were several things I didn't like, one is the shape of the pontoon ... virtually no rocker ... I also remeber that there were straps that went around the pontoon ... a buddy's JW Outfitters boat had straps around the tubes and he nearly wore through in a SINGLE day of low water floating in which the pontoons hit bottom in the riffles ... along these same lines, I want no platform, and and open path out of the front end of the boat ... this way you can lift the boat and walk through very shallow areas ... you can also stand up and "be out of the boat" when fishing non fishing from boat areas while the seat rests on your calfs ... thus saving an actual beaching of the boat, and the open front (unlike the JW's that my buddy had that got into trouble) to escape in an emergency situation ... in the JW's, my buddy had to drop through the bottom of the foot rest bar to get away from the boat. Something else I didn't like was sitting that high up in the boat ... I don't buy "waderless" anyhow ... as it makes the boat tippier.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#81142 - 04/01/99 02:43 AM Re: Info on one man rafts
Mavrick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
I just sold my driftboat, because it was always tough to find someone to go with me during the weekdays when I can fish, is this type of boat a good alternative for a guy who fishes during the week alot by himself.

#81143 - 04/01/99 11:33 AM Re: Info on one man rafts
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
Bob, If your buddy had to drop through the bar of his J.W. boat he was in a scout.The scout is a 399.00 dollar boat desighned for stillwater.
The Renegade, that dave bought uses a foot peg system slightly smaller than the Pac-800, allso no straps pass under the the pontoons of the Renegade or any other of J.W.'s white water boats. That feature applies only to the Scout.
There are alot of pontoon boats out there, it can get really confusing. I don't want to go into too much detail because I will be selling a few different brands of these things soon and I don't want to come off like I am making a sales pitch.
I agree with you though, If you want a waderless boat get a drift boat. These things seem to me to be best used as a summer boat and should be walk through.
Bob, if you have time and are interested, I am trying to arrange to demo several brands of these things this summer, drop me a line if you want to try any of the new ones. The biyak is kind of interesting, I have only rowed it in still water though, I want to give it another try.

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 04-01-99).]

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 04-01-99).]

#81144 - 04/01/99 11:51 PM Re: Info on one man rafts
AkBill Offline
Juvenille at Sea

These things sound interesting. Do they make a small one, 60 lbs. or less, that has a motor bracket? It would be nice to be able to cruise to the (placid)lake outlet and inlet too, and then down the outlet with the motor up.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FishTickler, LadyZehe, MADWIZERD
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645468 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |