Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81526 - 05/04/99 10:07 PM Hey Robbo: Its' all Good and Getting Better
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Hope the fishing on the Situk is still kicking. What a trip. Again, the apologies for freaking you on the Midwest version of Chuck N Duck. I never have seen a tall guy use that set up. What did you think. Sorry about raking those poor bucks out of those sweepers, but they had my name on them. The snow storm was awesome, and the boys landed 32 the day they marched in to hell.

In case everyone is wondering what the hell I'm talking about, let me give you a little clue. Went to the Situk from April 17 to 24, and had a blast. No dead fish found their way home with us, but there are a couple of 20 pounders with sore mouths.

Trip started at Teds' in Lynwood. Those guys are great. They treated us like gold. We rented a car, and drove there instead of a taxi. Anyone heading out West to fish owes it to themselves to stop at Teds'. Mike and the guys are gods. I have a few little tricks to play on fish around here after talking to the boys(snoopy and baby blue pearls are going to be big hits.

The night before heading to Yakutat we ate at the Double Tree Seaport restraunt. Nice place to take your dog. Save your money and go to Jack in the Box. I had a 13 inch long hair in my crab dip. Tasty!

Didn't Sleep worth a darn the night before we flew in. Have to say, you guys have some great scenery out there. Got to Yakutat at 10:51 a.m. and was greeted with about 5 feet of snow on the ground. Needless to say, you couldn't travel much of the river, as you post holed every other step. Even Robbo did, and he is 5 foot 18 inches tall. Was fishing by 2:30p.m. and the three of us got in to 27 fish before 7:00 p.m. I hit 18 and only managed to land 4 or 5. Rule number one: Don't try and horse native fish like Midwest brats, or you will have your ass handed to you. A lesson I will not soon forget.

Next day we floated the river with a guide. Should have skipped that, as the river was easy to read and fish were in all the places they should have been. Great day fishing, but was ruined when I left my vest full of stuff in the room. What a maneuver. I cried like a baby all day, and would have been better off going back and getting it. Hooked several fish, but mostly drop backs. They still had plenty of horsepower.

Fished the next day with "Dave the Savage". What an animal. The guy is non stop. What a treat. My buddy Larry banged a beauty that was 36 inches long, and had a girth of about 20 inches. What a slob. I followed suit with one the same length, but a little more than an inch thicker in the gut. My knees were like rubber for an hour. What a rush. Later in the day, hooked 6 fish in 8 drifts. 4 landed. All of the fish were taken on yarn and flies. The rest of the day went great, and we saw several pods of fish coming in with the tide that night. What a sight to see.

Next day was more of the same. Got in to a chrome bumper hen at the mouth that was loaded with lice, and she ripped off 150 yards of line and headed back to the Gulf of Alaska. She was pushing the 16 pound mark, and took twenty minutes to get in. that Martin 72 fly reel now needs new gears, as the old ones are shredded. Tim tried the same bail out of the boat move on a bright fish, and hooked his toe on the edge of the boat. A 6 foot 4 inch guy almost drowned in 20 inches of water. you do the math. Larry and tim both landed nice fish again, and had a blast.

Went out in gale force winds on a halibut charter the next day, and caught a couple in the 50 to 60 pound range, and 4 around 20 pounds. Only kept 2 fish. The Savage stayed out on the deck the whole time trying to coerce a halibut in to taking bait on a Salmon rod. What a kill. Classic case of hypothermia. The fresh Dungies were awesome that night for dinner. I got strep throat, and the savage went to fish the tidewater until dark.

On Friday, Robbo came in, and we got him situated in his new dwelling. Checked out the fish that Mountin man did, and boys they are awesome. If you want a skin mount or a repro, call Mountin Man. This guy is an artist. He will definitely be the guy that does my fish when I am ready. Unbelievable work. After getting Robbo set, we headed for the dump to take pictures of Grizzlies, and had no luck. it was raining and snowing like hell, so we decided we better go fishing. I'll let Robbo defend himself, because he was at a disadvantage with my funky gear. It wasn't pretty. The boys made the March in to hell, and ended up banging 32 steelies that day. Pictures to prove it and lots of sore lipped pouting fish. We hung around the bridge waiting, and finally headed back in to town at dark.

My last days plans went to hell, as i was planning on fishing with Robbo. The boat situation horsed us up, and it fell through. Don't worry Robbo, next year, we'll get it done. By the way, robbo is a kick. We had fun fishing with his friend Jack, a man that will keep you warm on frost hoary nights.

What a trip. Catching could have been better, but with 5 feet of snow on the ground, I was impressed. Lots of guys, but no one keeping fish. Neat to see that you don't have to kill fish to have a good time. By the way Robbo, I want a picture of me kissing that pretty double striped buck in the snow storm. Tight lines.

Rule 2: Fishing is always great, but sometimes the catching is slow.

Rule 3: Don't go to the dump and throw rocks at grizzlies to take pictures. It makes them angry. even if they just came out of hibernation. Videos as evidence.

Good Night.

#81527 - 05/06/99 01:02 AM Re: Hey Robbo: Its' all Good and Getting Better
Jer Offline
Parr

Loc: Belfair,WA USA
Great story. thanks for the update.

#81528 - 05/06/99 10:16 AM Re: Hey Robbo: Its' all Good and Getting Better
Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge) Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bothell, WA, USA
Thanks for the story. Sounds like a great trip.

#81529 - 05/06/99 01:07 PM Re: Hey Robbo: Its' all Good and Getting Better
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Me home now. Me not know what to do in real world. Me walking around aimlessly and talking to myself. Me have 200 steelies to boat in last 5 days. This not good for Robbo. Robbo need help!

#81530 - 05/06/99 02:27 PM Re: Hey Robbo: Its' all Good and Getting Better
FshnMR Offline
Parr

Loc: Auburn,wa.
robbo: urgent!!! you must induce vomiting immediatly.(preferably by drinking way to much beer)

#81531 - 05/06/99 09:08 PM Re: Hey Robbo: Its' all Good and Getting Better
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Quit your cryin' Robbo.

Fished three times in last two weeks, no springers, three natives, one each day. Got a twelve pound hen today on the Kalama. Ripper.

Gettin' geared up for the sculpin tourney? Guess it won't be on the HumpTwoChins this year, we'll have to stick to the Quits.
Later.

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#81532 - 05/13/99 11:21 AM Re: Hey Robbo: Its' all Good and Getting Better
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Hawk,
What a blast! I'm still walking around giggling like a little kid who just scored a Lifesize Compass in the Stock Tickle Me Sable doll for Christmas. Hard to believe fishing used to be that way around here.

I've got a rather compromising picture of you with that buck. A freind of mine is working on a "Van Gogh" of that portrait as we speak. Lily pads, flowers, a slightly rippled pond, and a big guy sucking face with a rosy cheeked fish.

Maybe Jack and I'll try to get out your way next winter. Say hi to the Lar-dog for me and keep in touch.

Todd,
Whatever?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bdscott, Skunked
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645466 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |