Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#816265 - 01/18/13 07:43 PM Occupy Skagit *****
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Copied from other fishing bulletin boards:

On April 6, 2013 a number of people will be staging a protest over the closure of the Skagit River to catch and release season for steelhead which ran until the end of April. We would like to see WDFW reinstate this season. We feel the reasons WDFW used to justify the closure are flawed and the c&r season does little to no harm to the Skagit steelhead. Closing the river only serves to deny us of yet one more oportunity to fish. If you care to join us we are billing this little protest as "Occupy Skagit". The goal is to get as many people as we can to show up and "fish" the Skagit on April 6th. Nothing illegal, no hooks allowed. As one fisherman put it; "If WDFW is going to pretend to manage our fish, I am going to pretend to fish for them." This is a somewhat organized event. We are planning to notify certain media outlets and also show up at the commisioner's meeting the following week. Please join us.

#816279 - 01/18/13 08:24 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Salmo g.]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
I think we need to get a banner or T-shirts or hats with that slogan printed on them. It is a classic line.

I will be there. I can take turns casting a hookless Rvrfshr spoon and a hookless Intruder.

#816287 - 01/18/13 08:39 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: The Catcherman]
Fear_no_fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens
"Occupy Skagit" Sounds like some good casting practice.
I might show up.

#816299 - 01/18/13 09:23 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Fear_no_fish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
That's my birthday, and that's where I spent my birthday for fifteen straight years, give or take...until it closed a few years ago.

I've heard rumors about the numbers the last couple of years, and those rumors, if true, would be good enough to re-open the river thru April.

I plan on being there.

There is also an "Occupy Skagit" facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/OccupySkagit?fref=ts

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#816300 - 01/18/13 09:27 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Todd]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Todd,

The rumors are just that - rumors. Last spring the 6,000 escapement goal was exceeded by a small amount. Other years haven't even been close, and this year is predicted to be considerably less than last year. All three brood years that go into the forecast were very low.

Still, since fly fishing is notorious on this BB for not catching steelhead, I think the Skagit would still be a great place to go not catch them, or not, as the case may be.

Sg

#816301 - 01/18/13 09:28 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Catcherman,

If you think Occupy Skagit is classic, have you heard who's behind it?

Steel Team Six.

#816302 - 01/18/13 09:29 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Todd]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
So, I could legally dump the boat in and pull hookless plugs? That could be A LOT of fun seeing some super hard take downs. wink This sounds interesting...maybe if it works out ok, an "Occupy Skykomish" could be in order? The year I got into steelheading was the first year the C&R season on the Sky was closed, or maybe the year before? I've only been steelheading for about 4 years now I guess.I didn't know enough about steelhead at the time to realize what a bummer that was.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#816330 - 01/18/13 10:53 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

it would take some pressure off the OP streams too having puget sound rivers open to catch and release as I'm sure everyone can agree. I feel like spreading pressure out would be much healthier than only having a few streams open.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#816380 - 01/19/13 10:27 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: steeliedrew]
Saundu Offline
Spawner

yea....i live between the Skagit and Stilly and 50 miles from the Sauk. Got to do the catch and release thing one year when I bought my drift boat. Now just go to forks. It would be nice to do some steelheading in March and April around here.
I tink i try this occupy Skagit!

#816384 - 01/19/13 11:32 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: steeliedrew]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
So, I could legally dump the boat in and pull hookless plugs? That could be A LOT of fun seeing some super hard take downs. wink This sounds interesting...maybe if it works out ok, an "Occupy Skykomish" could be in order? The year I got into steelheading was the first year the C&R season on the Sky was closed, or maybe the year before? I've only been steelheading for about 4 years now I guess.I didn't know enough about steelhead at the time to realize what a bummer that was.

I fish with a guidde that gets fed up with management and described fishing wiht no hooks. It will be called biting. When the plug rod buckles, hey guys I think I had a bite! Nice we are 5 for 5 today. Looking good.

#816402 - 01/19/13 02:05 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: RB3]
What Offline
Spawner

about time i wasthinkin somthin neededto be doneabout this extreme lackof managememt ability and iM reddy to feel the bumppulltugorgrab again. eXtrmely proficient steelheaD at eating plugg n boberdoggled offeringz to.missing speedo fishin mixer an chappel in apriL...
speakin of april Im needen too tie some vokeyinspired buggs, some hoggs in thet river.

#816424 - 01/19/13 03:57 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Redd,

One step at a time, one river at a time. Since WDFW will probably feel obligated to send an agent to make sure protesters are indeed going hookless, I don't think it serves the cause well to have protests scattered across multiple river systems. The Skagit is a pretty large area to patrol as it is.

The philosophy of Occupy is that no one is in charge. You can set up your boat however you wish. So far I'm reading about hookless flies, hookless spoons, hookless plugs. Since the protest is about having a CNR season, I assume that means no bait. Oh, and your non-hooks have to be barbless.

Sg

#816490 - 01/19/13 11:10 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

So far I'd say count me in. I'll put the boat in, do some plugging and spoon some bars.

#816523 - 01/20/13 11:32 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: steeliedrew]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

I think this is an outstanding idea to get WDFW attention and let them know how much we miss our beloved seasons. Our opportunities keep dwindling in front of our eyes and it seems all we can do is watch it happen.

#816528 - 01/20/13 11:53 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: cobble cruiser]
riverdick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: around the next bend
If you deploy hookles gear dont be surprised if you are issued a harassment of wildlife ticket!!
Just saying

#816535 - 01/20/13 12:16 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: riverdick]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: riverdick
If you deploy hookles gear dont be surprised if you are issued a harassment of wildlife ticket!!
Just saying

hmmm....meh, still worth it. smile

#816540 - 01/20/13 12:47 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: steeliedrew]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Definitely a worthy cause- fished for many years and cannot- it has had it's effect on many great guides that make a living on c&r season

#816571 - 01/20/13 04:53 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: steeliedrew]
Fear_no_fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens
Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
So far I'd say count me in. I'll put the boat in, do some plugging and spoon some bars.

Is there supposed to be a set location for us to all show up to?
Or are we all just going to run around the river and fish?

#816643 - 01/20/13 11:18 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: ]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Rockport is always a good gathering spot

#816707 - 01/21/13 12:41 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Coho]
206jb Offline
Smolt

Loc: port of seattle
Open the Skagit for C&R!!! I watched a old school steelhead VHS recently where this guy fly fishes for steelhead on the Umpqua with no hooks, looked like alot of fun having the fish strike the fly multiple times without getting spooked.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1107 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |