Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81717 - 05/24/99 11:38 PM Wynoochie
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I'm going to the Wynoochie opening day. Anyone know how it usually opens? Thanks

#81718 - 05/25/99 12:38 AM Re: Wynoochie
Mac Offline
Parr

Loc: Olalla Wa.
Very crowded, get there early and be ready to stick and move. Theres usually a few fish around.

#81719 - 05/25/99 10:11 AM Re: Wynoochie
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

It depends what your in to. If you have summer-run fishing closer, personally, I'd somewhere else. After midnight of the opener, there are already guys staking out holes. Last year there were over 70 boats on opening day.

It's the usual story on any opener-first boat down picks up the easy ones, next couple boats and bankies get the strays missed by the first boat then the other 67 boats and 286 bankies are out flailing away at empty water.

The opener on this river seems to get worse each year.

#81720 - 05/25/99 12:21 PM Re: Wynoochie
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
I don't know why the Wynoochie has become so popular, sure it gets a few fish, but the fishermen out number the fish and some of the rudest fishermen in the area fish it. I think it's worse than the Cowlitz crowd wise because it's not a very big river. Personally there are alot of better options if your'e up to doing a little exploring. The Wynoochie is a lemming's river.

#81721 - 05/25/99 02:47 PM Re: Wynoochie
IntenseGK Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia, WA
I can imagine how bad the Wynoochee could be on a season opener, but I fished it towards the end of the season there and the fishing pressure seemed pretty light. Maybe the fishing had been slow in recent days but we had a good day. Does anyone have any idea on when the pressure will taper off on the river and a "managable" number of boats will be around? For those of you fishing the 'nooch on the opener, Good Luck!

#81722 - 05/25/99 06:12 PM Re: Wynoochie
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Opening day and late in the season are like night and day. There are fish around both times but people have this illusion that they will likely be the first one out to snare the easy fish on the opener. Now, you get 300 boats and bankies thinking identically and you have a mob scene, litterally, that frankly, isn't very fun to fish.

What boggles my mind is that guys pursue this mob scene knowing full well thats what they'll be greeted by. The wynoochee has not been "red hot" by any stretch of the imagination on any recent opener. Yes, fish are caught but there simply aren't the numbers to constitute this percieved guarantee at catching fish and it's hard to understand what draws the huge numbers of people.

There are many rivers that have better openers.

Maybe there's just a new generation of fishermen out there who don't know any different and are content to fish under those conditions. I don't know that that's what constitutes a good day for me. I'd rather explore in relative solitude for fewer fish on lesser known, unpublicized rivers-they're out there!

#81723 - 05/25/99 11:27 PM Re: Wynoochie
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
The Wynoochee is a classic example of what happens when a lot of guys who haven't fished in a while get desperate enough to do on opening day. You know it's gonna be crowded, and this early on there usually aren't good numbers of fish, but that's what a couple months without much fishing will drive a guy to do.
The crowds usually start to taper off about the time the water gets low and clear, but if you go mid-week after a week or so past the opener, you can get some tremendous fishing for some big, hard-fighting summer-runs. I don't know what this crap is about the 'Nooch being a lemming river and full of rude anglers. Sure they're on the 'Nooch just like any other river, but they're definitely not the majority. What exactly is a "lemming river" ? I know the Wynoochee can be very productive, especially if you can get on it when the crowds are smaller, and you're not afraid of a little hike if you're on the bank. But if you show up there on opening day, or on a Sunday in the middle of the winter run, you're gonna have company. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.
Don't pass up the 'Nooch, but don't go there expecting solitude, either. It's all up to what makes a good day of fishing for you. Although I fish it quite a bit during the summer, you won't catch me there on opening day. Good luck if you go, but be prepared.

Fish on............

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#81724 - 05/26/99 12:50 AM Re: Wynoochie
IntenseGK Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia, WA
I know there are drifts on the upper part of the river, I have only drifted it 3 times and I put in underneath the bridge above the spillway. Does anyone know how the drift is on the upper stretch of the river?
My guess is that it is pretty productive. Also, I don't know if anyone of you have drifted the river recently, but there is one really awkward spot to get your boat past and I could see how it could be a bit dangerous. Post if you know what I'm talking about: there is a bar on the left had side that has about 2 inches of water sweeping over it rather quickly. It then drops off very rapidly and there is about a 4-5 foot gap before a log jam, there is little to no room to get a bite with your oars and well, if things go wrong your in for some entertainment! I think now that I am more experienced on the oars it would be easier. But I choose to walk the boat on the shallow part just before it drops off. Anyway, for those of you that have not floated the river, you will know what I'm talking about unless the flow has changed in that section. Thought I might offer some advice for boaters looking to float it soon!
Good Luck!

#81725 - 05/26/99 01:29 AM Re: Wynoochie
Winterrun Offline
Alevin

Loc: Gig Harbor, Wa
I don't think the flow has changed at all in that section,at least it had'nt the last time i floated it, the spot you're talking about is usually not a problem with winter time flows, but I can see a problem in skinny water, I have seen guys go to the right side and then ferry across, but would not advise this in low water. Like they say, when in doubt....

#81726 - 05/27/99 08:00 PM Re: Wynoochie
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

In my above post I didn't mean to sound flippant. What I ment by a "lemming's" river: A river that is perpetuated by overhype and magazine articles that receives a mass migration of anglers at certain periods expecting instant gratification.

Also, My opinion/definition of rude anglers:
1. Anglers who float by in their boat and cast out where your fishing and start boondoggin' through

2. Anglers who low ball you in a drift your fishing, unless they ask if it would be cool to share the drift with you

3. Sled through the water your fishing at fast speeds

4. Floating over a drift your fishing at low water, unless there's no other room to come through

5. Anglers who don't bother to learn proper C&R techniques and don't practice C&R on wild steelhead

Anybody else have some to add? I'm off my soap box now.

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 05-27-99).]

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 05-28-99).]

#81727 - 05/27/99 10:38 PM Re: Wynoochie
Fishlips Offline
Parr

Loc: Issaquah, WA
A few more for the rude angler list:

6. Anglers that float by you and drop anchor just downstream of you in a hole you happen to be plugging.
7. Anglers that cast near your line while you're playing a fish.
8. Anglers that croud in on your hole after they see you've landed a fish.
9. Anglers that take 20 minutes to get their rig out of the boat launch, making everyone wait while they take care of every last detail before they pull out.
10. A high percentage of the drift boaters fishing the Humptulips in the fall.

#81728 - 05/28/99 12:43 AM Re: Wynoochie
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Rich,

I didn't mean to sound offended, and you're right, the Wynoochee sees more pressure with every magazine article written about it. And yes, with the increased numbers of anglers there are more rude clowns on it now than there were in the past. But the 'Nooch can be a great choice if you learn the flows and go on days that everyone else can't. Although I'm wondering how so many guys get weekdays off. Anyway, I guess you could call many rivers on the west side lemming rivers because I haven't seen the crowds getting smaller or more courteous on any rivers. In fact I've taken to fishing some no-name creeks and smaller rivers when I know there aren't many fish at all Ato be caught, but you KNOW you'll have plenty of water to yourself.

Anyway, don't write the 'Nooch off completely, but I would avoid it on opening day.......

Fish on.........

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#81729 - 05/28/99 03:11 PM Re: Wynoochie
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Rich How about the guy in your boat who uses color combos only found at local gay rallies(not that iv'e been to one). Every root ball he hooks turns into a steelhead, and he out fishes you every time like hooking 11 while you hook 4. Sound familiar? THAT'S RUDE!

#81730 - 06/01/99 11:33 AM Re: Wynoochie
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

That's what happens when your geezer fishing and using a golf ball size corkie in clown with a size 4 hook

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 541 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |