Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81780 - 06/07/99 03:42 PM Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
OK, as some of you may have seen, I've been poking around looking for a boat for awhile now. Ideally, I thought I'd like a driftboat to fish the Sky and Snoqualmie for the most part. But a shortage of funds has made me reconsider.

I've found an old 12' aluminum Klamath that fits my checkbook very well. But I'm wondering what it'll be like trying to fish from a skiff like this. It has a very wide flat bottom, a pointed bow and a square stern.

In case you can't tell. This is my first boat and I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. But I think the sky/snoqualmie and maybe the skagit would be the only places I'd try taking this thing.

So would I be able to back plugs if I had the rods on the stern and pointed the bow upriver? It has oarlocks and I guess I could hold it steady and back through holes if I had the bow pointed up. Aside from the sleds, I haven't seen all that many jonboats or non driftboats out on these local rivers. Any and all comments welcomed.

B. Gray

#81781 - 06/07/99 08:11 PM Re: Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
fishingrod Offline
Parr

Loc: Bothell,Wa. Sno.
B Gray If you value your gear and possibly your life I would suggest you save your money and wait for that drift boat. Even thought the Sky and the snoqualmie look easy, There are spots, That in a craft that is not made for for taking down a river as easy as these two mentioned. You can get youself in trouble very easily. I would find a freind with a drift boat and float and study the white water and see why it is not a good idea to do this. if you do GOOD LUCK and please be careful.

#81782 - 06/08/99 01:31 AM Re: Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Nasty holes between Fall City and Duval? Or between Sultan and Monroe?

I'm not talking about trying to run from Index down to Gold Bar or even from high bridge down to Sultan....

#81783 - 06/08/99 02:19 AM Re: Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
Skydrifter1 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lynnwood,Wa.98036
You may be ok from Carnation to Duval but why most that is frog water.I would not try Sultan to Monroe I watched a guy roll a 12' car topper just below Sultan a few years ago in water that wasn't all that tuff so be careful and save your money and get a drift boat if you look long enough you should be able to find one for around $1000.00-$1500.00 Good Luck

#81784 - 06/08/99 10:12 AM Re: Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I was right behind a drift boat that went down below where the Sultan runs into the Sky. The fools had tried to anchor in that fast water off the rip rap rocks. Anchor became hung up and BOTH of them tried to get in back to free it. Boat went straight down with two guys in the water. They are very lucky to be alive. I heard they finally pulled the boat out about six months later and there was nothing left. It had been spinning in that current smashing on the rocks that whole time.

#81785 - 06/08/99 10:24 AM Re: Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I'm with the two replys. You are much better off in a drift boat. From Sultan down I would consider pretty tame, but your limiting yourself once you get good on the oars, because of your boats' stability. Before I owned my Koffler, with hesitation and fish in the head I canoed down the upper/middle Skagit, and other Puget Sound rivers, I am sure your flat bottom would be more stable than that, but spend a little more for reasons of safety, satisfaction and pleasure-get a boat that is designed for river fishing. Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Coho (edited 06-08-99).]

#81786 - 06/08/99 12:29 PM Re: Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Thanks for all the advice. I went and had a closer look at the boat yesterday and I don't think it's in the running anyway. Lots of caulk. See you on the bank.

Bruce

#81787 - 06/08/99 03:10 PM Re: Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Hey I see ya been lookin for quite a while, with not much luck. I fish the Rivers here in Wash and am usally on the Penninsula. In my travels around the state I see lots of drift boats for sale and one comes to mind that may be right up your ally. Its in Hoquium (not sure how to spell it)and I saw it last Sat in my travels, I dident get a number or anything but I can tell ya were its at. When your leaving town headed tword the Hump its right before the last tavern headed out of town. this is were the speed limit goes up after the 90° corner to the left after Kentucky fried chicken and theres a 7-11 on the opposite side. The boat appears to be fiberglass, its light blue in color and has a trailer, the trailer dosent appear to be a driftboat trailer but does work apparently. I know it may be hard to get down there so if you want I am headed thru on Thursday night and can get a number if you like. I would say the boat is pbobably in the range your looking for, let me know if I can help...

------------------

#81788 - 06/08/99 04:21 PM Re: Question about floating the Sky/Snoqualmie
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Hey Bob, that would be great if you could get me the number! I live and work here in Seattle so it's near impossible for me to get out that way during the week. I dropped you an email. Thanks again!

Bruce

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bdscott, Skunked
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 568 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645466 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |