THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#818407 - 01/28/13 06:00 PM Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade.
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Had a rod explode on me this weekend, luckily I had brought a few backups. ...no matter, I planed on replacing this old broom stick any how. I stopped in the local shop and bs'd with the owner for a bit, and something in the corner caught my eye...maybe my upgrade?

At the moment, I am leaning towards getting a G.Loomis stfr 1363 11'4" Moderate-fast action, Med-Light Power. 8-12 Lb. line, Lure weight is 1/4-3/4.

Does anyone on here own one of these rods, and how do you like it?

Thanks,
Tyler

My fish from this weekend, before my rod broke... doh

#818417 - 01/28/13 06:16 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Paul Smenis]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
okuma sst is the way to go. the money you save, get yourself a bottle of McCallan 10 single malt scotch.

#818430 - 01/28/13 07:06 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Brewer]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Or with the money you save on that Okuma, you could buy a second Okuma to have ready when the first one breaks.

11' 4" seems like a REALLY long rod. What type of fishing are you going to be doing with it (drift fishing, float fishing, etc.)?

#818432 - 01/28/13 07:14 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Paul Smenis]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

I have been working really hard the past few months and wanted to get myself something nice. Alot nicer than an SST anyways, for whatever that's worth.

I like the idea of the long pickup for float fishing for mending and hook set while the bobber stops are set for fishing deeper depths (like 19'-24') This will be a dedicated jig/float fishing rod for steel.
Only been out a few times, but I'm hooked and can't wait for the next trip!

Edited by Yak-Fresh (01/28/13 07:14 PM)

#818433 - 01/28/13 07:15 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Paul Smenis]
redhook
Unregistered

are you set on Loomis?

because there are alot of other companies out with as nice, and in some cases, nicer rods for less money...

#818435 - 01/28/13 07:18 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Paul Smenis]
seatownlion Offline
Parr

Loc: 206
+ 1 for Okuma SST for the price

Only plus of the G. L. is the warranty, though the finesse feel can make the difference when it comes to feeling the bite. But what do I know?

Edited by seatownlion (01/28/13 07:19 PM)

#818437 - 01/28/13 07:27 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: seatownlion]
Brewer Offline

yak-rotten your stupid if you think a sst is a poor rod.

only the the yuppy elitest on this site would think this way. your sadly in no way in this catagory.

save your cash!

#818440 - 01/28/13 07:30 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: seatownlion]
redhook
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: seatownlion
+ 1 for Okuma SST for the price

Only plus of the G. L. is the warranty, though the finesse feel can make the difference when it comes to feeling the bite. But what do I know?

Loomis's warranty is a crock of bull dung... its 100 bucks, plus if its out of production you are screwed... you would be way better off buying a Shimano Clarus for 100-130 bucks, which can be returned at the store for the life of the rod... its basically the same rod anyways...

Loomis is the most over rated rod company on the planet...

#818442 - 01/28/13 07:34 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Paul Smenis]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
If ya got the bucks, and you want something nice, then by all means get what YOU want.

To often I see the other extreme.....Got no bucks, but want what bucks can buy, so you buy on credit. Lot's of people get in trouble using credit cards.......banks, credit unions would hate it....but I think Debit cards are/should be the only cards offered.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#818444 - 01/28/13 07:37 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: ]
yarnballsdeep
Unregistered

Have someone build ya a rainshadow.. I have a funny feeling the new Si is going to be a float rod. If I were you, I would just get a lamiglas x11 10'6"..affordable and I hear they are nice. SST's are uuuuugly..but I'm fruity that way..folks love those shimanos too..good call rh.

My exs 106 ml would get most float fisherman horned up, but they quit making them...

#818460 - 01/28/13 08:40 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: ]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Got about 5 or 6 lamis sitting in the garage that need repairs. Have also had a rainshadow explode on me. The only rods I have spent big money on he past 4 yrs or so are Sage and Reddington. Have been fishing the Shimano Clarus and the Okuma SSTs for gear rods for several years now with no problems. Both decent rods for the price. If you have an issue with the shimano just bring it back for a replacement. I think the Okuma is a limited warranty. Fenwick also makes a great price point rod, but not sure about the warranty. Don't get me wrong, I love high end rods just as much as anyone else, but just can't justify the cost anymore between warranty issues, having to send them back etc....

#818461 - 01/28/13 08:47 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: metaladdiction]
yarnballsdeep
Unregistered

U always run the risk of breaking a long light rod if you high stick or what not...no matter what the company... I'd check out the X11, they will treat you well warranty wise and they are a good price...sorry for being a cack sucker earlier..time for more elk burgers!!

#818479 - 01/28/13 09:41 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: ]
Brewer Offline

anyone who spends $300 on a bobber rod (loomis or any manufactorer) is a idiot! i enjoy asking guys who bobber fish "what did the bite feel like?" they always say and i quote " i'm using a bobber" i will always reply "expensive pole for feeling nothing"

guys have put way to much thought that $$$ equates into greatness. sadly it doesn't.

fishprince and a SST would out fish yak-rotten with a sage,loomy or a lami. experience trumps expense everyday all day!

i make this claim because yak claimed today that he could not catch a huge wild bruiser without spazzing and crackering it off!

so why why blow big $$$ on a rod if your a cracker!!!

#818480 - 01/28/13 09:44 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Nothing but compliments for the SST here. I think the copper/bronze blank looks great... but hey, maybe little brown people might be biased.

Bought one as a back up rod for a totally different application, but it quickly became my youngest daughter's "go to" rod.... "I like it, Daddy!" Since then, LMWS's trusty SST has handled some mighty big fish in all three coastal estuaries... taking king of the season the first year she started using it.

I own an entire quiver of 10'6" salmon moochers.... including Loomis SAR1265, Lamiglas 1066GH, Shimano Cennan 106MH-2. As far as performance, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything comparable for $60. In my hands, the SST 10'6" has the feel, weight, and action of the venerable Loomis 1265.... but you can buy an entire spread of four SST's for the boat for the price of one Loomis.

When one of them finally breaks (and yes, they ALL will) you won't feel so bad (or broke) about having to get a new replacement.

As other have said the Loomis warranty is getting to be a joke. $100 deductible.... and only valid on a production rod. If they discontinue the one you buy, no warranty.

I think all these manufacturers should just bite the bullet and start selling rods that reflect the cost of manufacture rather than hyper-inflating the price with a built in warranty that gets abused by negligent owners. Most rods are broken by pilot error. The warranty shouldn't even apply. Users need to own up to their stupidity and just buy a new rod outright.

If they were appropriately priced without a warranty, it would be easy. Or maybe for the folks who don't mind paying top-dollar for peace of mind, sell an extended warranty for extra up front. Either way, you gotta pay.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#818485 - 01/28/13 09:57 PM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: eyeFISH]
Brewer Offline

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Nothing but compliments for the SST here. I think the copper/bronze blank looks great... but hey, maybe little brown people might be biased.

Bought one as a back up rod for a totally different application, but it quickly became my youngest daughter's "go to" rod.... "I like it, Daddy!" Since then, LMWS's trusty SST has handled some mighty big fish in all three coastal estuaries... taking king of the season the first year she started using it.

I own an entire quiver of 10'6" salmon moochers.... including Loomis SAR1265, Lamiglas 1066GH, Shimano Cennan 106MH-2. As far as performance, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything comparable for $60. In my hands, the SST 10'6" has the feel, weight, and action of the venerable Loomis 1265.... but you can buy an entire spread of four SST's for the boat for the price of one Loomis.

When one of them finally breaks (and yes, they ALL will) you won't feel so bad (or broke) about having to getting a replacement.

As other have said the Loomis warranty is getting to be a joke. $100 deductible.... and only valid on a production rod. If they discontinue the one you buy, no warranty.

I think all these manufacturers should just bite the bullet and start selling rods that reflect the cost of manufacture rather than hyper-inflating the price with a built in warranty that gets abused by negligent owners. Most rods are broken by pilot error. The warranty shouldn't even apply. Users need to own up to their stupidity and just buy a new rod outright.

If they were appropriately priced without a warranty, it would be easy. Or maybe for the folks who don't mind paying top-dollar for peace of mind, sell an extended warranty for extra up front. Either way, you gotta pay.

sadly i agree with all of this!

#818536 - 01/29/13 09:14 AM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Brewer]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
I sent my Loomis plug rod (2 guides pulled off due to stupidity) thru Outdoor Emporium for repair, no $$ was asked for by OE, and Loomis sent me a brand new rod---no charge.

Hooked on Loomis.....

#818545 - 01/29/13 10:33 AM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Brewer]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Brewer
yak-rotten your stupid if you think a sst is a poor rod.

only the the yuppy elitest on this site would think this way. your sadly in no way in this catagory.

save your cash!

Ok...:facepalm:

I already own a few, not that blown away, I want something nicer, been working hard...but thanks for starting a debate that doesn't need to be cluttering my thread. Don't own the Loomis in question? Move on.

:thumbup:

Edited by Yak-Fresh (01/29/13 10:34 AM)

#818555 - 01/29/13 11:16 AM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Kinetic Kwik]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Kinetic Kwik
GL3 1263 is my all timer float rod for ID summers... Try it you'll like it! Mikey.

(cereal reply for cereal post)

buy an sst .........cuckoo for coco puffs..........

1363 might be a little much.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will be sure and check that one out.

#818556 - 01/29/13 11:23 AM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: eyeFISH]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Nothing but compliments for the SST here.

Great stuff, sir, I have enjoyed many of these pictures over the years from you.
No doubt I have a few of my own, and will be using some of them again this spring.

Edited by Yak-Fresh (01/29/13 11:23 AM)

#818557 - 01/29/13 11:28 AM Re: Snap, Crackle, POP! Time for an upgrade. [Re: Paul Smenis]
yarnballsdeep
Unregistered

Theres a loomis float rod on portlands craigslist for $260...not sure if I can say that...and not that the dude needs any more money, but the Buzz Ramsey Berkey rods have some decent float options..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, steely slammer, 1 invisible), 980 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645365 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |