THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#821846 - 02/10/13 01:21 PM 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale?
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
smile This is a way of asking if anyone has a piece of crap (nearly so, any way) that I can shoot up some bird shot in? I'm not going to run those thru my semi autos, so if someone has an old revolver or bolt action rifle, I might be in the market.

WhY? Good question.....I have an issue with one of the coyotes here that has taken to teasing the dogs. Yesterday they ran him/her off (across the highway) again, and when they returned, it followed them back here. I could kill it, and may in fact do that if things don't change, but would prefer to sting it with bird shot to run it off or move its pups elsewhere.

The dogs (both) have shock collars, but they know if they run the boundary at full speed they can bolt right through it with minimal shock. I may have to put a second line of shock wire down. Sure would hate to lose them on the highway.

#821848 - 02/10/13 01:28 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ParaLeaks]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
The shot in .22LR is #12.

The effective range to sting a coyote is gonna be about 9'2"

Hope they're close. smile

#821856 - 02/10/13 02:18 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: SundayMoney]
scrimps Offline
Parr

Loc: puget sound
22's lose velocity really fast so just shoot for the ass end with your normal loads and the yote should be ok

#821874 - 02/10/13 04:50 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: scrimps]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Well, I can't get within 10'......
I've been within 25' once and 50' a half dozen times
100' is no problem at all.
My problem with a regular load is the background, not the shooting. I could kill it easily with a lung shot, but a tail or ear shot leaves ricochet a problem. I used to have a number of directions I could safely shoot, but over the years most have been taken away, so I'm not left with a whole lot of options.
A 410 would work, but then I still have these bird shot.........LOL

#821876 - 02/10/13 05:01 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: scrimps]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
.22 "Ratshot" is pretty anemic.
Might be a good opportunity to work up and test some 12 gauge rocksalt tweeker loads.
That songdog would be singin' the blues with a load of rocksalt in his ass.

#821877 - 02/10/13 05:04 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

they should work fine out of semi autos, they may just not cycle the rounds, so you will have to manually do it... they wont mess it up or anything... they also wont be extremely accurate out of rifled barrels...

slab, take a half sheet of plywood, or even a large chunk of cardboard, and pattern your rifle...see how it shoots... you might be suprised...

#821878 - 02/10/13 05:10 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

you can do this too, extremely cheap, with a lifetime warranty...

http://www.impactguns.com/crickett-22-lo...1613002406.aspx

the barrel is only 16.8 inches tho, so you wont get superb accuracy even with regular LR rounds, but it would be a fun plinker, and shot shooter...

#821879 - 02/10/13 05:13 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

DD.....good idea......hadn't thought of that

RH.....not going to run it thru my semi's.....not......not

#821882 - 02/10/13 05:37 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ParaLeaks]
redhook
Unregistered

i understand...

if you make it out my way any time soon, i can let you borrow one of the pellet rifles... one shoots around 1100 FPS the other is 900 FPS... with the lower one i can shoot an egg at 30 yards and blow it to sh!t... you can actually put 20 shots in a half dollar with it at 30 yards

#821885 - 02/10/13 06:09 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Thanks for the offer, but I have a couple of pump up pellet rifles.....they are too slow to be of use for me for this coyote.....I use them for cherry thieves....aka birds like english sparrows and starlings.

Edited by Slab Happy (02/10/13 06:10 PM)

#821888 - 02/10/13 07:19 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
DD.....good idea......hadn't thought of that

Don't know if you handload shotshells or not but you will want to convert a 7/8 oz or 1 oz 12 gauge recipe to rocksalt.
I've never weighed rock salt so I'm not sure how much volume 1 oz takes up.

Be damn embarrassing to have a blooper and then have Mr. Wile E. Coyote standing there grinning at you.

rofl

For those not familiar, a "blooper" is an underloaded (or defective) shotshell where the entire shot column lazily exits the barrel and falls harmlessly to the ground about 15' (for example) away.
Stop shooting and check for a stuck wad or the next round might grenade the gun.

#821889 - 02/10/13 07:22 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: Direct-Drive]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

I have no idea exactly how to do it. Was thinking of just dumping the shot out of a skeet load and refilling with rock salt, maybe waxing the shell closed.

#821891 - 02/10/13 07:32 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ParaLeaks]
redhook
Unregistered

make sure you clean the sh!t out of your barrel after shooting rock salt... more so than you would regularly...

when i was staying at my friends, they had this huge aluminum "barn" was more like a 10 car garage without doors tho... anyways, the stupid starlings or sparrows or whatnot would build nests up on the rafters and sh!t over all of our stuff in there... so i would take my 3 inch shells (all i had at the time), and open them up and dump probably 3/4s of the shot out and close it back up... when you shoot it, its almost like just a popper, and the pellets will kill the nests and birds....

until the one time rofl

we were down working on a few bikes and such, well came down one morning and there was sh!t all over parts, and the bikes and such, so i told Jake to go grab the Mossy and a shell... we were kinda pissed and i was like we will get rid of em, dont worry about it... so i opened the shell up and emptied some out...

well, "some" wasnt enough...

we saw 2 good sized nests (they were building them out of mud and crap on the sides of the rafters), shouldered the gauge, and let her go... KABOOOOOOM!!!

dust and feathers and sh!t was flying all over the barn... i looked at Jake with a kinda "holy sh!t" look on my face, and we both immeadiately started cracking up laughing...

we started using a pellet gun after that....

#821904 - 02/10/13 09:25 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

I have no idea exactly how to do it. Was thinking of just dumping the shot out of a skeet load and refilling with rock salt, maybe waxing the shell closed.

Mebbe not such a good idea....
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33_2.htm
He pulled apart 1-1/4 loads which would have had a medium-slow burning powder in them.
A fast burning powder would have be better for the light charge of rock salt.

Might just want to go with some birdshot.

#821942 - 02/11/13 02:35 AM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: Direct-Drive]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Interesting.....can you link page one? I tried, but couldn't make it happen. From the looks of the photo, a towel may have been draped over?

#821944 - 02/11/13 02:46 AM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ParaLeaks]
redhook
Unregistered

Slab i was gonna say this earlier, just get a small game tag if you dont have one and wack it... itll keep coming back, itll get more and more fearless, then one of your dogs will get messed up...

buy the tag and you are fine, wont have to worry about legalities or anything, its cheap, and i think coyotes are year round..

wounding or just stunning it is just gonna make it smarter...

i used to shoot these things for "hunting privlages", they can be dangerous... especially when you have one coming in from behind you on a flat.... rocky areas are even more dangerous...

shoot the fvcker dude... dont play with wild vs domestic.... not with coyotes atleast...

#821957 - 02/11/13 08:44 AM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

I've yet to have any serious issues with the coyotes that frequent my place. I've been teaching them to stay away for quite a few years and all has gone pretty well.

I think this one may have a litter and could very well be moving them across the hiway. I'm not ready to kill her yet. We'll see how it goes. I'll kill it when and if it becomes necessary. I make an effort to live WITH the critters that belong here.....even if they cause occasional problems.

#821967 - 02/11/13 10:31 AM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Interesting.....can you link page one? I tried, but couldn't make it happen. From the looks of the photo, a towel may have been draped over?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm

#822127 - 02/11/13 10:00 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: Direct-Drive]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Thanks, DD! That is interesting!

Looks like the wad packs way more wallop than the salt. Crazy! smile

#823323 - 02/16/13 09:01 PM Re: 22 Birdshot quality armament for sale? [Re: ParaLeaks]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
22 short

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1391 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |