Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#821886 - 02/10/13 06:33 PM Re: Occupy Skagit ***** [Re: bhudda]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Steve,
Thanks for the excellent speech. It not only helps to understand the relationship between C&R fishing and returns, but also provides the historical context for how we arrived at such a situation as exists today.

Hopefully you don't mind if I copy it and spread it around where needed. (with full credit)

#824476 - 02/22/13 12:37 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: _WW_]
jam session Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Goodwin
Salmo, thanks for your efforts and rationale on this. I responded on the other board cause I couldn't believe the Cowlitz BS that it turned into. I will be there and probably will use my 6wt with a skater. After all the purpose is to not catch fish! Not likely to get April steelhead but suspect the dollies will be all over that and if the surface take is all I get, that will still be fun. Considering camping at Rockport and would love to share a brew and meet fellow CR proponents.

#826734 - 03/04/13 01:48 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: steeliedrew]
Saundu Offline
Spawner

HONESTLY...to a person that is in the know about what sometimes happens on this river...during catch and release season...or during the December/January open period.

It is best kept CLOSED...
how many times do you hear about someone getting nailed on the mighty Skagit poaching a steelhead. NOT VERY OFTEN ..if ever.

Honestly..... I routinely (this past winter) "more than once" sat a bar with other fishermen bragging about native steelhead meeting their ends at the hands of "sportfishermen" whom rationalize their behaviors with the 1974 bodt decision and the natives gillnet practices.

KEEP IT CLOSED.. PERIOD or there wont be any more.

I would love to see it open for a C&R, but it lets in the greedy white fishermen whom have to have it "now" even tho they can wait till the fall and have their fill of all the salmon they should need.

With this being said...i am caucasion.

#826749 - 03/04/13 08:12 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Saundu]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
It is best kept CLOSED...
how many times do you hear about someone getting nailed on the mighty Skagit poaching a steelhead. NOT VERY OFTEN ..if ever.

If the river is closed there aren't any law abiding fishermen on the river to report poachers.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#826906 - 03/04/13 09:32 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Jerry Garcia]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Poaching will happen no matter what the regulations are. Always has and always will.

In spite of the years of poaching, the years of wild fish retention, the years of netting salmon, the years of C&R angling, the bountiful years and the very poor years, the last three decades of ever increasing human encroachment, the ever more efficient angling methods, the numerous floods and a host of other things - the Skagit population of wild steelhead is right on par with where it was 34 years ago.

The main thing we are not doing now that has been done for the past several decades is C&R fishing. Of all the things I listed above, C&R fishing is the least impactful to the future viability of the run. But other than wild fish retention, C&R angling is the only activity that has been shut down. In fact, every year it is the FIRST thing to get shut down.

OCCUPY SKAGIT!

#827787 - 03/08/13 04:18 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Salmo g.]
WaFlyCaster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Well put.

#827816 - 03/08/13 09:06 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: WaFlyCaster]
Saundu Offline
Spawner

doubt it...if you let a catch and release season occur it opens it up to natives and their gill nets.

good luck....you and all ur pals will most likely get a ticket. And it will remain closed...despite your efforts.

#829187 - 03/16/13 08:53 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Saundu]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

ANOTHER WAY TO HELP!

One of the things we'd like to do on April 6th is collect names of those who support the movement to regain our C&R season on the Skagit. It will be something akin to a petition, but not binding, and will be carried to Olympia to help in illustrating how broad the support for this season is. For those of you unable to attend the Occupy or the Olympia meeting this is how you can still represent your support.

For this purpose we would like to get your name and home town – we do NOT need your full address.

To avoid duplicates, we ask you to reply by email and not to this thread. That way all the info is in one spot.

The email is: cr_skagit@yahoo.com

#829992 - 03/19/13 10:34 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: _WW_]
BassMaster2000 Offline
Alevin

How can your bassin cousins help the cause?

- Me

#830104 - 03/20/13 09:16 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: BassMaster2000]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

There are three ways to get involved.

1. Show up in Rockport at The Howard Miller Steelhead Park the morning of April 6th and join us in some faux fishing.

2. Show up the following weekend in Olympia at the Commissioner's meeting and voice/show your support.

3. Send us an email with your name and hometown and we'll carry them to Olympia for you. cr_skagit@yahoo.com

Show up in Rockport and I will make sure you get a spey lesson from someone, even if I have to do it myself! smile

#830135 - 03/20/13 11:59 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: _WW_]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
email sent

#830298 - 03/20/13 08:10 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Coho]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for the emails!
Keep 'em coming!!

#831223 - 03/25/13 12:51 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: _WW_]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

For those of you who have expressed concern about the legalities of "Faux Fishing"

I talked with our local enforcement officer. They will be there and will probably check a few outfits before they go in to water. As long as there are no hooks everything will be fine. He respects our right to freedom of speech and wishes us the best of luck.

One concern they have is that folks who are not associated with us, will try to take advantage of the situation. I've known this particular agent for over twenty years - He plays no favorites. I feel sorry for the fool that gets caught actually fishing the Skagit on April 6th!

I look forward to seeing you all there!

#831938 - 03/28/13 12:25 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Salmo g.]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
Probably wouldn't need to renew my license, since we are just pretending to fish.

#832025 - 03/28/13 10:10 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: chasbo]
Fear_no_fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens
The lower river is open for trout now?
Is this so indians can net the river for their share? Seems a little weird to me.
Do you think this will take away from a catch and release season up stream??

#832253 - 03/30/13 10:18 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: Fear_no_fish]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Fear_no_fish
The lower river is open for trout now?
Is this so indians can net the river for their share? Seems a little weird to me.
Do you think this will take away from a catch and release season up stream??

It's open to fishing for cutthroat trout. Historically the river was open year-round below Mount Vernon. This is a return to that scenario. It is believed that ESA listed fish do not linger in this stretch making themselves vulnerable to capture.

This has nothing to do with tribal fishing.
I see no way that it can impact a C&R season upriver. That season is currently non-existent and prohibited by federal law.

Hopefully we can change that! smile

Quote:
Probably wouldn't need to renew my license, since we are just pretending to fish.

If you want to push your luck, that is your business...

#832450 - 04/01/13 08:46 AM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: _WW_]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

It's coming up soon now! The Occupy is on Saturday and the commissioners meeting is the following weekend.

Those of you unable to attend either event can still have your support recognized by sending us an email with your name and hometown.
cr_skagit@yahoo.com

Many thanks to those of you that have taken the time, every single one of them is important!

#832506 - 04/01/13 05:01 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: _WW_]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
Thank you Curt for your leadership and hard work!! See ya there....

#832859 - 04/04/13 06:10 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: bhudda]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Less that 48 hours away now! If you are too lazy to wade in maybe you can hold one of these:

Be seein' real soon now...:)

#832860 - 04/04/13 06:15 PM Re: Occupy Skagit [Re: _WW_]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
BroodBuster, Ikissmykiss, and I will be in Adirondack 1 at HMSP...we'll get there tomorrow night, be there all day Saturday, and head home on Sunday afternoon.

We're planning on floating from Marblemount to Rockport.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |