Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82317 - 08/25/99 02:26 PM White Kings
Fishskis Offline
Fry

Loc: seattle wa king
What makes up a White king and can a hatchery program produce them. Thanks to all who reply. Sharp Hooks!

#82318 - 08/25/99 03:40 PM Re: White Kings
Mike L. Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Walla Walla, Wa.
I don't know if I am correct, but I have heard the difference is genetic, not a diet difference as I first suspected. If this is the case I don't know why a hatchery couldn't raise them. Most people tell me they don't care for them because salmon meat is supposed to be red. They taste every bit as good to me.

#82319 - 08/25/99 04:17 PM Re: White Kings
Curt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn,Wa
from everyone that i've talked to including biologist with the A.D.F.G the cause for kings to have white flesh is purely genetic,as far as a hatchery producing white kings,i know that Gastineau salmon hatchery in Juneau,Ak produces both white and red kings,as far as how they taste i prefer the white king

p.s.FISH ON!!!!!

#82320 - 08/25/99 08:58 PM Re: White Kings
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I think the only genetic difference is the color of the meat, all else being the same. When i was in AK, fishing/processing, we saw the occasional white coho I think they said like one in 100,000. These were just considered albinos as albinos occur in most animal species. I am not sure why some kings developed into white king runs. A big percentage of the white kings we caught in southeast were true hogs going 50 to 60+ pounds. They were considered better eating then red ones though I cant attest to much difference myself. C

#82321 - 08/25/99 09:40 PM Re: White Kings
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
This is strictly opinion that is gathered from hearsay and experience. I believe that the white king is mainly diet influenced. Some kings eat more baitfish than krill, and thus they may be more inclined to having white flesh than red. Last year we caught 8 mature kings in the same spot in 2 days. Four fish had deep orange/red color of the flesh, the other four were varying shades of white with one fish half red/half white. At one time the commercial fisherman couldn't sell a white king (no demand) so they kept them for their own use. Soon people thought that if the "captain" kept the white king it must be the best. Personally I like red kings better because it's easier to tell when they have finished cooking on the BBQ. If a planted trout has to live in the wild, some of their buddies will eat insects (pink meat) while some will eat fingerlings (white meat). Any real qualified answers would be appreciated. snit

#82322 - 08/25/99 10:05 PM Re: White Kings
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Guys,

White Kings are unable to store a chemical called astxanthine (sp?), I think, due to their genetic makeup, not a difference in diet. The astxanthine is found in crustacean (krill, sand shrimp) shells and a White king's gentic makeup does not allow it to store this chemical. Their diet is the same as any other King, according to stomach content surveys.

I caught a native steelhead on the Wynoochee a LONG time ago (didn't know any better then) that was chrome bright, fat as hell, with big hard milt sacs, and had white meat. Tasted great , but had almost no pink or orange color to it at all. A White Steelhead perhaps? I don't know if anyone else has had the same experience?

Fish on.........

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#82323 - 08/26/99 12:52 AM Re: White Kings
scotty Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, WA, USA
I think a white king is the best BBQ slab you can get, throw a bunch of dampened alder on the coals and smoke away.Everyone I've talked to seems to agree and most will tell you that a white a fattier meat. I made the mistake of canning some,YAK! especially the looks. The pinks definately smoke and can better. Just my 2 cents worth.

#82324 - 08/26/99 12:55 AM Re: White Kings
scotty Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, WA, USA
I think a white king is the best BBQ slab you can get, throw a bunch of dampened alder on the coals and smoke away.Everyone I've talked to seems to agree and most will tell you that a white a fattier meat. I made the mistake of canning some,YAK! especially the looks. The pinks definately smoke and can better. Just my 2 cents worth.

#82325 - 08/27/99 10:20 AM Re: White Kings
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I've caught lot's of white kings in the Strait. I've been told by the fisheries guys that most are headed for the Fraser river but the Skagit and one other river have some too. They are a different strain of fish and if you compare the heads you will notice the White king usually has a rounded nose more like a silver. Almost every one I have caught is 30 pounds on the button. Maybe the rounded nose is just a trait of the the Fraser stock I don't no.

#82326 - 08/27/99 11:45 PM Re: White Kings
corky Offline
Smolt

Loc: Port Angeles Wa.
Most of the white kings I have caught in the strait have been right around the 30 lb. mark also. I smoked most of mine with normal kings,(same brine, same smoke time) and the white king was almost flavorless in comparison.

#82327 - 08/28/99 01:20 AM Re: White Kings
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
I've caught white kings at Sekiu, Pt. Evans, and years ago in Lake Washington. They had the taste and appeal of spawned-out steelhead. It was like comparing a tasteless, white-meat hatchery rainbow with a flavorful pink-flesh rainbow or cutthroat. I had always heard a white king was gourmet fare, but if I could tell I was bringing a white king to net, it would be strictly catch and release for this angler. Maybe the northern strain of white king is better tablefare. Has anyone ever caught a white coho? Just wondering.

[This message has been edited by CedarR (edited 08-27-1999).]

#82328 - 08/31/99 05:38 PM Re: White Kings
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

White kings are genetically unable to store carotine (same stuff that give carrots their color) in their flesh, even tho they eat the same diet as red fleshed kings. Their are a number of Fraser River tributaries noted for their prevalence of white kings, like the Harrison River, so that is why they used to be common in catches out in the Straits. The Skagit River does get a few white kings as well, but they make up a small portion of the run.

I did catch a white fleshed, bright winter steelhead in the Toutle many years ago, before the St. Helen's blast. Hadn't heard of white coho, but there is no reason why such an aberation shouldn't show up in any of the salmon or trout species from time to time. Consider that it is probably just a genetic fluke that gives most salmon the carotine storing characteristic that gives their flesh such an appealing color. Ask anyone in marketing, red sells better. So regardless of taste, it's no surprise that most consumers prefer the red kings over the white. I've eaten a few white kings and honestly could not detect a difference. And when it comes to salmon as table faire, I'm about as narrow minded and snobbish as they come. i.e., I fish for steelhead, but I release them and pay bundles for Copper River king salmon because it tastes better to me.

Regards,

Salmo g.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |