Rate This Topic
#823028 - 02/15/13 11:52 AM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Illahee]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: Illahee
Originally Posted By: Hankster

At some point the expense and hassle won't be worth it and people will instead use mass transit.

As hard and as inconvenient as they try to make it in S.F. and as high as fuel costs go up, mass transit use in the form of riding buses keeps going down. Routes are dropped north of here on a regular basis. East and south of here, BART and Caltrain riders increase their use a little.

The city was even floating a plan to make parking spots in private business lots paid. Can you imagine going to a grocery store and finding a price increase to cover parking expenses? It didn't fly.

Portland vowed 30 years ago there would be no more major freeways built in the Metro area, the city has opted instead on a 35 mile East West light rail, North South lines run to the airport and Clackamas Town Center and from downtown to the Expo Center.
New lines are being built to Milwaukie presently.
Down town has trolleys running on many side streets.

http://trimet.org/maps/railsystem.htm

It sucks, there are alot of us that have to drive during the day for our work and the traffic just keeps getting worse and we keep losing lanes to Bikes and Mass transit.

#823031 - 02/15/13 12:07 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: willametteriveroutlaw

At some point the expense and hassle won't be worth it and people will instead use mass transit.

As hard and as inconvenient as they try to make it in S.F. and as high as fuel costs go up, mass transit use in the form of riding buses keeps going down. Routes are dropped north of here on a regular basis. East and south of here, BART and Caltrain riders increase their use a little.

The city was even floating a plan to make parking spots in private business lots paid. Can you imagine going to a grocery store and finding a price increase to cover parking expenses? It didn't fly.

Portland vowed 30 years ago there would be no more major freeways built in the Metro area, the city has opted instead on a 35 mile East West light rail, North South lines run to the airport and Clackamas Town Center and from downtown to the Expo Center.
New lines are being built to Milwaukie presently.
Down town has trolleys running on many side streets.

http://trimet.org/maps/railsystem.htm

It sucks, there are alot of us that have to drive during the day for our work and the traffic just keeps getting worse and we keep losing lanes to Bikes and Mass transit.

And at some point you'll say fuk it and use mass transit, that's the master plan, and it doesn't make any difference what you think.
Notice mass transit measures are never on the ballot? They learned years ago that voters lack any forward thinking skills, so now they are all bond driven.

#823033 - 02/15/13 12:09 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Uhhhh...........I wasn't talking to you, but thanks for paying attention anyway.

That's why you replied to the post by Dan S., right?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#823047 - 02/15/13 12:39 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Oh, well it's obvious now that you've explained your idiocy.

#823228 - 02/16/13 09:20 AM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I personally have much love for the planners who make parking a full-size pickup impossible to park in the new quite ingenious parking lots complete with beautification islands and such.

It works especially well here in this "Victorian Seaport" town........as in Duh, does that mean there might be trucks pulling boats?

Dipsticks......lots of 'em.

#823234 - 02/16/13 11:34 AM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline

The ignore button is for pussies.

I'd rather tell you what a fuckhead whiner you are.

#823304 - 02/16/13 07:14 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Illahee]
Spawner

And at some point you'll say fuk it and use mass transit, that's the master plan, and it doesn't make any difference what you think.
Notice mass transit measures are never on the ballot? They learned years ago that voters lack any forward thinking skills, so now they are all bond driven.

Until someone can tell me how to carry a unit of plywood across town on the bus effectively and I'll stop driving my truck..

The problem with those ass holes is they think that some ass hole that has sucked off the goverment [Bleeeeep!] their whole career knows more than the ass holes that pay their salary!

There are burbs in the portland area that are refusing to pay trimet taxes and have trimet service.. I know one local business that pays over 250K a month in tri met taxes (it works out to something like 15K an employee who uses public transit on a regular basis to get to work)

#823344 - 02/16/13 10:56 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Until someone can tell me how to carry a unit of plywood across town on the bus effectively and I'll stop driving my truck..

The problem with those ass holes is they think that some ass hole that has sucked off the goverment [Bleeeeep!] their whole career knows more than the ass holes that pay their salary!

There are burbs in the portland area that are refusing to pay trimet taxes and have trimet service.. I know one local business that pays over 250K a month in tri met taxes (it works out to something like 15K an employee who uses public transit on a regular basis to get to work)

Usually a person gains knowledge from attending a institution of higher learning, but I think in your case just the opposite has occurred.

#823398 - 02/17/13 11:51 AM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Illahee]
Spawner

Usually a person gains knowledge from attending a institution of higher learning, but I think in your case just the opposite has occurred.

College taught me a little bit, the expirience has filled in the gaps.

I manage multimillion dollar construction projects, employees still need tools and materials, and meetings still have to be attended.. Taking an hour to get to a meeting that is 3 miles away on public transit doesn't make much sense to me, but then again I have to produce something every day at work, probably not a problem you face.

#823410 - 02/17/13 12:53 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The main goal of most colleges is to teach the student how to think, you seem to have missed that part.

#823412 - 02/17/13 01:00 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Dan S. Offline

Sounds like a good opportunity to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and just pay the going rate for parking instead of sniveling about it.

Or, you could go the sociailist route, and ask the government to provide you with underpriced parking so you aren't inconvenienced on your ventures into downtown.

Oooooh - you have to produce results at work? I'm sure you are the only one, too. Nobody else here has a job.

#823423 - 02/17/13 02:20 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Dan S.]
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Sounds like a good opportunity to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and just pay the going rate for parking instead of sniveling about it.

Or, you could go the sociailist route, and ask the government to provide you with underpriced parking so you aren't inconvenienced on your ventures into downtown.

Oooooh - you have to produce results at work? I'm sure you are the only one, too. Nobody else here has a job.

Parking will always be a PIA, just pay the fee and get over it. I was complaining about out trimet sitation here in Portland. You know the one that can't get a ballot measure passed to fund it, so they use a back door process to push it or maybe there was a great idea not to long ago to take lanes away on surface streets and turn them into bike lanes. The bicyclists pay so much in road taxes you know they deserve it..

#823424 - 02/17/13 02:22 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Illahee]
Spawner

The main goal of most colleges is to teach the student how to think, you seem to have missed that part.

Why don't you tell me in your infinite wisdom how a non fiscally solvent program that most taxpayers don't use being forced upon is in a back door process is a good idea?

Us non thinking folks want to know why that is a good idea..

#823657 - 02/18/13 04:25 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Why don't you tell me in your infinite wisdom how a non fiscally solvent program that most taxpayers don't use being forced upon is in a back door process is a good idea?

Us non thinking folks want to know why that is a good idea..

Did it ever occur to you that a cite's liveability is judged by the region's mass transit system?
Were you also aware that urban sprawl increases the cost of public transportation?
How about decision being made today concerning mass transit will effect our region's livability 80 years from now?
Your critical thinking skills seem lacking, only to be outdone by your lack of doing any research when forming an opinion, and that's generally why your a dumbass most of the time.

#823671 - 02/18/13 05:37 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Illahee]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Spoken like a true planner.
BTW, planners suck.
Just my personal opinion.

Maybe a good look at quality of life in cities vs rural living needs a good looksee?

urban "sprawl" as is cutely coined by planners happens for a reason......and it isn't cost to live there.

When planners have everyone living in sparrow houses stacked on top of one another and everyone needs a note from whomever rules your ideal domain to wander outside the boundaries, then what?

#823675 - 02/18/13 05:51 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: ParaLeaks]
Dan S. Offline

Shouting from the rooftops again, huh?

#823681 - 02/18/13 06:25 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Dan S.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Yeah Slab, planning is such a bad idea. Because look how good things turn out in the complete absence of planning. Do you read what you type before you post?

Obviously the best alternative is the one espoused humorously by Click and Clack. Pave it all! Pave everything. Then you can drive anywhere you want, any time. Oh, but there won't be anything when you get there, just more pavement. But at least you won't have to take a frickin' bus or train to get there.

#823684 - 02/18/13 06:39 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Illahee]
Spawner

[quote=willametteriveroutlaw]

Did it ever occur to you that a cite's liveability is judged by the region's mass transit system?
Were you also aware that urban sprawl increases the cost of public transportation?
How about decision being made today concerning mass transit will effect our region's livability 80 years from now?
Your critical thinking skills seem lacking, only to be outdone by your lack of doing any research when forming an opinion, and that's generally why your a dumbass most of the time.

1. No, most people don't move to a city because its got great public tranist. they move there because of Jobs. Reading some recent studies, light rail doesn't actually promote growth when the giant tax credits are removed.
2. Yes, but if a community doesn't want it. It shouldn't be forced upon them. To make it feasible, there has to be usage and in many occupations its not feasible to be without transportation on a daily basis. I could list 20, but seeing as how you are a complete twat I'll save my time.
3. NY NY is still a [Bleeeeep!] hole, and they have had mass transit for along time. Mass transit (trolley systems) were in 65 cities prior to 1910. By 1965 there were only 5 system still in place. Guess what their traffic still sucks. The great thing about Portland is that there the employment centers are spread out throughout the metro area and most people choose to live close to their work.

BTW, pop quiz list 3 public transportation systems that actually pay for themselves.. (make sure to include amortized constructions costs and initial set up costs in those figures)

#823691 - 02/18/13 07:46 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
If I was to commute via public transportation it would increase my time away from home by a minimum of 1 1/2 hours a day.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#823697 - 02/18/13 08:01 PM Re: What Is The Thought Process... [Re: Dan S.]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Is there something that keeps you here sniveling instead of heading off to some conservative wonderland like Kansas or Missouri where they don't get bogged down by progressive liberal idiots?

I don't follow any particular ideology with my head up my ass (or in the sand). It doesn't bother me that you seem to, though. Questioning policies our local government makes is sniveling...? You're a freaking riot.

A multi-billion dollar light rail link from downtown to almost the airport is the first phase of our regional transit system? Ya, that's moving a lot of commuters. It's not even moving many out of town travelers.

Serious question, Dan. Do you see any political balance in the Puget Sound region? If so, where? I don't. Wish there was.

I wouldn't fit in too well in Kansas or Missouri because I don't align with the hard right. They'd be telling me to move to Seattle where they don't get bogged down by teabagging conservative idiots...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |