THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#823532 - 02/17/13 11:08 PM lets talk building...
redhook
Unregistered

im gonna do a new rifle.. and i dont feel like spending a sh!t ton right out of the gate for a stock rifle, that i add things too...

so heres what im thinkin

have my dads Remington Sportsman 78, which was basically the Model 700 ADL in the 80's, aka the "poor mans 700"... im thinking about tearing her down and re doing it, the barrel is shot to sh!t, but the rest of it is fine and looks great... so im thinking just grab a Hogue overmolded stock, they are relatively cheap, and it makes it a bit heavier than the 5 1/2 pounds it is, and a barrel...

on ebay, there is a ton of barrels that are new take off barrels for sale... good prices too... i could go that route...

but im more interesting than that, as you know...

can i swap the calibers? its a 06 right now, and i do not want to go below that caliber... if i buy a 7mm mag, or .300 mag barrel, can i get it done with that action from the 06, or is it not long enough?

a 6.5-284 would be another option if i could find a barrel, so will Wildcat cartridges fit and work in a 06 sized action?

#823536 - 02/17/13 11:21 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
So the WSMs are expensive gimmicks,but you're considering a 6.5-284?

#823539 - 02/17/13 11:40 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
redhook
Unregistered

just a thought....

not building this rifle for hunting per say, although its still an option... just trying to see about what calibers i can do with that action....

#823542 - 02/17/13 11:56 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
If it's chambered for '06 stick with calibers that share the same bolt face. Buy a good bbl (not a flea bay special)....like Pac-Nor, Benchmark (Arlington WA), Douglas, Shilen, Hart, etc. BUT FIRST FIND A GOOD GUNSMITH!!!

Btw...what's wrong with 30-06? Why change calibers?

6.5-284 is above your pay grade. wink Magnums aren't needed and wildcats are duplicative unless you possess the requisite skills and money to see them thru.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#823556 - 02/18/13 12:24 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

good question RvDub, theres nothing wrong with that round at all... i love it, comfortable shooting it, ect... i like to get punched a bit tho lol... i dont mind it in the slightest, thats why i was thinking going magnum, the 6.5 would just be for target shooting, and your right about seeing it through... they arent cheap, it was kinda just a target rifle thought, but i should even be thinking that with this action anyways... most of the 6.5s are custom built, with the exception of the Savage (expensive)....

so what bolt faces are compatible? where do i go about finding any?

it will be a 1 deer kill rifle and ill be done hunting for good.. i plan on going with my brother this year just to spend some time in the wilderness with him like we did with our dad, and i figured i do the gun up too...

AFTER that, i wanna kill pop cans or such at 500 yards with it, or beyond... just a fun rifle basically... i have a scope thats decent, ill get another one just cause tho, ..... basically, if a gun doesnt excite me anymore, i get bored with it and sell it... trying not to do that this time... i like to get popped a bit, enjoyable for me, but like seeing the target go down at distance... i guess the 06 is still suitable... the only rifle i sold that i didnt get bored of, was my 700 7mm, Hart barrel, TImney trigger, i think it was a Harris bipod, Leupold 6-24x (had many scopes on this gun but was sold with this) with quick detach Leupold rings and Weaver dove tail bases... shot like a god damn champ, but i needed money for school, and couldnt beat the offer..

ive even thought about making an m40 replica out of it, camo paint and all.... would be fun and not too hard to accomplish...

so where would i look to find bolt face sizing?

#823563 - 02/18/13 12:46 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Stay with your .473 bolt face.

Otherwise piss money away at random.

My advice stands....find a good 'smith and don't get all Mr. FancyPants.

#823567 - 02/18/13 01:00 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

advice taken for sure... trying to budget this one out and be decent with it... shouldnt be too hard with technology these days to find it for a good price...

the most expensive thing would be the scope, im wanting to run a Millett on it with the exposed turetts...

#823570 - 02/18/13 01:08 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

A fellow could do much better than Millet for not much more money.

Spinning turrets is great as long as they track repeatedly. Spend $100 on the rifle but $1000 on the scope.

#823574 - 02/18/13 01:18 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

points taken...

this is the one i was thinking about : http://theconsumerlink.com/Millett/detail/TCL+BK81008/0

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/trs/

the first one is the actual scope itself payment wise, the other is the "catalog" version of it...

i can find that scope for cheaper than that... so i will be under 500 bucks for that... im figuring 200 for the barrel, 100ish for the stock, scope

wow

i just realized this aint gonna be cheap, FACK

i have a decent Simmons 4-12 44mm (44 Mag) that has been on just about every one of my guns, and is extremely reliable for a cheap scope (paid 289+tax for it when they came out 10+ years ago)....

i should have just bought my neighbors Sendero for 700 bucks and been done with it....

hows the guys work barrel wise out of Arlington? in state would be nice, support the locals...

#823576 - 02/18/13 01:20 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: redhook
Leupold 6-24x (had many scopes on this gun but was sold with this) with quick detach Leupold rings and Weaver dove tail bases...

A lot of guys will stick with dove tail rings when using dovetail bases.

#823577 - 02/18/13 01:28 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Oregonian]
redhook
Unregistered

they were a dovetail base ring...but they had little levers on the side that controlled the screws, instead of using an allen wrench... you could take it off if you wanted to and re install it with your hands... they were expensive tho when i bought them, like 125 a pair... i had another pair on my AR, with the scope i have still, but sold the rings with the rifle...

not even sure they still make them anymore, i thought they were cool as hell, and even after taking the scope off, the gun was only like 1-4 inches off, so it was easy to sight in again...

they were made by Leupold tho, so they might still be around somewhere...

#823578 - 02/18/13 01:29 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Oregonian]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

rofl

I'd be interested in seeing Redhook make that amalgamation work....probably cost more than a great bbl, blueprinted and lugged square.

#823579 - 02/18/13 01:32 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Leupold and many others made QR rings.....still do.

You plan on open sights on this 6.5-284?

1-4moa isn't acceptable....

#823582 - 02/18/13 01:43 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

no, scope for sure, would have to be a higher power scope too, which means more money, and theres zero point in putting a 3k dollar scope on a 500 dollar rifle... that caliber is now out of the equasion, i didnt think it was that expensive till i truely thought about it a second...

its not a gimmick tho, that and the 6.5 remmy are great rounds... just arent popular...

ill stick with the 06, they have been using those for 1000 yard shots for years... plenty of bullet choices as well...

anyone know if Black Bart (member here) does barrels?

#823584 - 02/18/13 01:48 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Pretty sure he does a bang up job mating bbls to actions....

#823587 - 02/18/13 02:38 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

maybe it would be a good idea to look for a factory PSS bull barrel? or a Sendero barrel?

#823616 - 02/18/13 10:54 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: redhook

its not a gimmick tho, that and the 6.5 remmy are great rounds... just arent popular...

What exactly is your thought process?

Or do you just not know?

The .284 Winchester was designed to replicate .270 WCF and .280 Rem velocities in a short action round. The 6.5 Rem mag is basically Remington's version of a WSM.

The other day you couldn't wrap your mind around the usefulness of a short action round. Now all of a sudden they're great rounds and you were considering a short action wildcat.

So in your opinion what makes the .284 Win and 6.5 Rem mag great vs them being a gimmick?

#823628 - 02/18/13 12:04 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
RH,

Whats your reloading agenda going to look like for the rebuild? Do you have the budget for that? Staying with the 06' you can get a good variety of less expensive factory ammo that might work really well. If you go 6.5x.284 its might be tough find factory rounds that work well in the new rifle, and suit your accuracy reqs (you might get lucky though). In addition they are major expensive. $50 to $80 for 20 rounds in some cases (using Midway as source link below). For a target rifle, and shooting target rifle volume, I think you are going to want to hand craft some ammo for it. Or, I guess you could have someone reload it for you but you will still have to buy components, possibly dies, and time.

I have been looking into a wildcat for sometime now. I mean four to five years reading and studying what I might want. The wildest I think I want to get is a ackely improvement of some sort where you only have pay for re-chambering and blow out the cases. I think I'm going .30-30 AI as it seems to be one the best choices for a significant increase in ballistics.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=9926

j7 2012

#823652 - 02/18/13 03:32 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: SundayMoney

I'd proffer a 0.473" l/a SAAMI recipe but something tells me I'd just be casting pearls before sleeping dogs....

wink

#823654 - 02/18/13 03:47 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Driftin']
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Driftin'
Originally Posted By: SundayMoney

I'd proffer a 0.473" l/a SAAMI recipe but something tells me I'd just be casting pearls before sleeping dogs....

wink

Custom turn bolt dreams on a spudgun budget.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
birdhunter111, metalman, solducsinker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (chrome/22, stonefish), 946 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |