THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#823532 - 02/17/13 11:08 PM lets talk building...
redhook
Unregistered

im gonna do a new rifle.. and i dont feel like spending a sh!t ton right out of the gate for a stock rifle, that i add things too...

so heres what im thinkin

have my dads Remington Sportsman 78, which was basically the Model 700 ADL in the 80's, aka the "poor mans 700"... im thinking about tearing her down and re doing it, the barrel is shot to sh!t, but the rest of it is fine and looks great... so im thinking just grab a Hogue overmolded stock, they are relatively cheap, and it makes it a bit heavier than the 5 1/2 pounds it is, and a barrel...

on ebay, there is a ton of barrels that are new take off barrels for sale... good prices too... i could go that route...

but im more interesting than that, as you know...

can i swap the calibers? its a 06 right now, and i do not want to go below that caliber... if i buy a 7mm mag, or .300 mag barrel, can i get it done with that action from the 06, or is it not long enough?

a 6.5-284 would be another option if i could find a barrel, so will Wildcat cartridges fit and work in a 06 sized action?

#823536 - 02/17/13 11:21 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
So the WSMs are expensive gimmicks,but you're considering a 6.5-284?

#823539 - 02/17/13 11:40 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
redhook
Unregistered

just a thought....

not building this rifle for hunting per say, although its still an option... just trying to see about what calibers i can do with that action....

#823542 - 02/17/13 11:56 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
If it's chambered for '06 stick with calibers that share the same bolt face. Buy a good bbl (not a flea bay special)....like Pac-Nor, Benchmark (Arlington WA), Douglas, Shilen, Hart, etc. BUT FIRST FIND A GOOD GUNSMITH!!!

Btw...what's wrong with 30-06? Why change calibers?

6.5-284 is above your pay grade. wink Magnums aren't needed and wildcats are duplicative unless you possess the requisite skills and money to see them thru.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#823556 - 02/18/13 12:24 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

good question RvDub, theres nothing wrong with that round at all... i love it, comfortable shooting it, ect... i like to get punched a bit tho lol... i dont mind it in the slightest, thats why i was thinking going magnum, the 6.5 would just be for target shooting, and your right about seeing it through... they arent cheap, it was kinda just a target rifle thought, but i should even be thinking that with this action anyways... most of the 6.5s are custom built, with the exception of the Savage (expensive)....

so what bolt faces are compatible? where do i go about finding any?

it will be a 1 deer kill rifle and ill be done hunting for good.. i plan on going with my brother this year just to spend some time in the wilderness with him like we did with our dad, and i figured i do the gun up too...

AFTER that, i wanna kill pop cans or such at 500 yards with it, or beyond... just a fun rifle basically... i have a scope thats decent, ill get another one just cause tho, ..... basically, if a gun doesnt excite me anymore, i get bored with it and sell it... trying not to do that this time... i like to get popped a bit, enjoyable for me, but like seeing the target go down at distance... i guess the 06 is still suitable... the only rifle i sold that i didnt get bored of, was my 700 7mm, Hart barrel, TImney trigger, i think it was a Harris bipod, Leupold 6-24x (had many scopes on this gun but was sold with this) with quick detach Leupold rings and Weaver dove tail bases... shot like a god damn champ, but i needed money for school, and couldnt beat the offer..

ive even thought about making an m40 replica out of it, camo paint and all.... would be fun and not too hard to accomplish...

so where would i look to find bolt face sizing?

#823563 - 02/18/13 12:46 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Stay with your .473 bolt face.

Otherwise piss money away at random.

My advice stands....find a good 'smith and don't get all Mr. FancyPants.

#823567 - 02/18/13 01:00 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

advice taken for sure... trying to budget this one out and be decent with it... shouldnt be too hard with technology these days to find it for a good price...

the most expensive thing would be the scope, im wanting to run a Millett on it with the exposed turetts...

#823570 - 02/18/13 01:08 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

A fellow could do much better than Millet for not much more money.

Spinning turrets is great as long as they track repeatedly. Spend $100 on the rifle but $1000 on the scope.

#823574 - 02/18/13 01:18 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

points taken...

this is the one i was thinking about : http://theconsumerlink.com/Millett/detail/TCL+BK81008/0

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/trs/

the first one is the actual scope itself payment wise, the other is the "catalog" version of it...

i can find that scope for cheaper than that... so i will be under 500 bucks for that... im figuring 200 for the barrel, 100ish for the stock, scope

wow

i just realized this aint gonna be cheap, FACK

i have a decent Simmons 4-12 44mm (44 Mag) that has been on just about every one of my guns, and is extremely reliable for a cheap scope (paid 289+tax for it when they came out 10+ years ago)....

i should have just bought my neighbors Sendero for 700 bucks and been done with it....

hows the guys work barrel wise out of Arlington? in state would be nice, support the locals...

#823576 - 02/18/13 01:20 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: redhook
Leupold 6-24x (had many scopes on this gun but was sold with this) with quick detach Leupold rings and Weaver dove tail bases...

A lot of guys will stick with dove tail rings when using dovetail bases.

#823577 - 02/18/13 01:28 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Oregonian]
redhook
Unregistered

they were a dovetail base ring...but they had little levers on the side that controlled the screws, instead of using an allen wrench... you could take it off if you wanted to and re install it with your hands... they were expensive tho when i bought them, like 125 a pair... i had another pair on my AR, with the scope i have still, but sold the rings with the rifle...

not even sure they still make them anymore, i thought they were cool as hell, and even after taking the scope off, the gun was only like 1-4 inches off, so it was easy to sight in again...

they were made by Leupold tho, so they might still be around somewhere...

#823578 - 02/18/13 01:29 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Oregonian]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

rofl

I'd be interested in seeing Redhook make that amalgamation work....probably cost more than a great bbl, blueprinted and lugged square.

#823579 - 02/18/13 01:32 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Leupold and many others made QR rings.....still do.

You plan on open sights on this 6.5-284?

1-4moa isn't acceptable....

#823582 - 02/18/13 01:43 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

no, scope for sure, would have to be a higher power scope too, which means more money, and theres zero point in putting a 3k dollar scope on a 500 dollar rifle... that caliber is now out of the equasion, i didnt think it was that expensive till i truely thought about it a second...

its not a gimmick tho, that and the 6.5 remmy are great rounds... just arent popular...

ill stick with the 06, they have been using those for 1000 yard shots for years... plenty of bullet choices as well...

anyone know if Black Bart (member here) does barrels?

#823584 - 02/18/13 01:48 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Pretty sure he does a bang up job mating bbls to actions....

#823587 - 02/18/13 02:38 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

maybe it would be a good idea to look for a factory PSS bull barrel? or a Sendero barrel?

#823616 - 02/18/13 10:54 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

its not a gimmick tho, that and the 6.5 remmy are great rounds... just arent popular...

What exactly is your thought process?

Or do you just not know?

The .284 Winchester was designed to replicate .270 WCF and .280 Rem velocities in a short action round. The 6.5 Rem mag is basically Remington's version of a WSM.

The other day you couldn't wrap your mind around the usefulness of a short action round. Now all of a sudden they're great rounds and you were considering a short action wildcat.

So in your opinion what makes the .284 Win and 6.5 Rem mag great vs them being a gimmick?

#823628 - 02/18/13 12:04 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
RH,

Whats your reloading agenda going to look like for the rebuild? Do you have the budget for that? Staying with the 06' you can get a good variety of less expensive factory ammo that might work really well. If you go 6.5x.284 its might be tough find factory rounds that work well in the new rifle, and suit your accuracy reqs (you might get lucky though). In addition they are major expensive. $50 to $80 for 20 rounds in some cases (using Midway as source link below). For a target rifle, and shooting target rifle volume, I think you are going to want to hand craft some ammo for it. Or, I guess you could have someone reload it for you but you will still have to buy components, possibly dies, and time.

I have been looking into a wildcat for sometime now. I mean four to five years reading and studying what I might want. The wildest I think I want to get is a ackely improvement of some sort where you only have pay for re-chambering and blow out the cases. I think I'm going .30-30 AI as it seems to be one the best choices for a significant increase in ballistics.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=9926

j7 2012

#823652 - 02/18/13 03:32 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: SundayMoney

I'd proffer a 0.473" l/a SAAMI recipe but something tells me I'd just be casting pearls before sleeping dogs....

wink

#823654 - 02/18/13 03:47 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Driftin']
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Driftin'

I'd proffer a 0.473" l/a SAAMI recipe but something tells me I'd just be casting pearls before sleeping dogs....

wink

Custom turn bolt dreams on a spudgun budget.

#823655 - 02/18/13 04:04 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
redhook
Unregistered

Or do you just not know?

The .284 Winchester was designed to replicate .270 WCF and .280 Rem velocities in a short action round. The 6.5 Rem mag is basically Remington's version of a WSM.

The other day you couldn't wrap your mind around the usefulness of a short action round. Now all of a sudden they're great rounds and you were considering a short action wildcat.

So in your opinion what makes the .284 Win and 6.5 Rem mag great vs them being a gimmick?

again, im not building a hunting rifle per say, this is more of a target rifle, so extra FPS isnt even on my radar... my points on that thread were that the regular ammo works just fine, is way cheaper, the performance is basically the same, ect... penetration means nothing to me really on this, as im penetrating paper and cans.... and maybe a coyote...

also, regarding the WSM's, i have already talked with a member of the other boards, might even be a member here, anyways, i was going to do a long range rifle with a .300 WSM, and he also told me to stay away from it for target shooting and to just go with a 7mm or plain old .300 Win... if i remember right, it was something about the bullet being stable at long range flight...

name another round capable of what the 6.5 has accomplished in tournaments...

J7, i have access to a Dillon 650, so im not worried too much... i was plugging 60 dollar boxes of 7mm and 80+ dollar boxes of .338 Win Mag when i had those 2 rifles, so ive learned to appreciate not buying factory ammo... the 06 is pretty versatile now that RvDub has me thinking about it... so im not going to switch calibers on this gun... i suppose if i want to get a 6.5, i will just buy the Savage F Class rifle, but they are around 1500 bucks just for the gun, then you have to add all the other crap...

the 06 has been used in 1000 yard competitions as well, so i know its capable of shooting that far fairly accurately... i was thinking of going with a 28'" barrel, with mid grain weight bullets to get decent velocity, without being too heavy and dropping off, or being too light they start to flip and roll in flight at distance... im also not building a 1000 yard rifle either, thats asking alot...500+ yards isnt asking alot, and should be acheivable using this rifle, with not too much spent (barrel and stock pretty much)...

plus it was my dads and i just want to shoot it again accurately...

#823658 - 02/18/13 04:34 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

name another round capable of what the 6.5 has accomplished in tournaments...

From what I've read and understand is that its a recoil issue not a caliber issue. Some propose that youre getting the same trajectory as a .300 win mag with less recoil with a 6.5. Looking in my Barnes book here comparing a .264 Win mag to the .300 Win mag you get about the same velocity (130 grain compared to 168 grain). So, with the same B.C., I think you do get the same trajectory with less recoil. I thought the .300 Win mag was the top dog for a while.

j7 2012

#823660 - 02/18/13 04:44 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

I can see you've got it all figured out.

#823662 - 02/18/13 04:57 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
redhook
Unregistered

no, i dont, thats why im asking opinions... even yours SM..

im also thinking about putting a brake on the barrel, but ive never used one at long ranges, so i dont know if it has any affect on the bullet... my 7mm was non-broke...(<<< is that a word?)

#823663 - 02/18/13 05:02 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

A brake only reduces recoil and protects your crown from getting dinged up.

j7 2012

#823664 - 02/18/13 05:11 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: j 7]
redhook
Unregistered

i get that part... im curious tho because the gasses escape behind the bullet before it fully exits (ported barrel), so i didnt know if it would decrease anything or help start instability in the bullet itself after distance...

this gun as it is, isnt much fun to shoot... at all... its got a kinda short barrel, and throws fire like nothing ive ever seen with some rounds... i have had range masters come up to me and ask me WTF i was shooting because it was loud, belted the sh!t out of me, and threw fire 5 feet from the barrel in broad daylight... part of that was the ammo tho i suppose, but even Core Lokt rounds throw a significant amount of flames...

after about 20 rounds your shoulder stings, and probably has some purple starting to show, 40 rounds, your shoulder hurts, and shows bruising...60 rounds, you are screwed for 3 days... i do like to get popped to an extent, but that gun is a little excessive in its current state...

sooo, new Hogue overmolded stock, and a bull barrel, bipod, heavy scope, and a brake should take all of that away, and make it much more enjoyable to shoot...

i was going to just get a 700 PSS or SPS Tac and go from there, but im thinking they are going to be tough to find, and probably way higher than the 585 bucks they were before the sh!t hit the proverbial fan...

#823665 - 02/18/13 05:13 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

also, if i do go the new gun route, it HAS to be a 7mm... im familiar with the round, and the model 700, so it would be an easy set up and get going great type gig...

#823667 - 02/18/13 05:24 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

i get that part... im curious tho because the gasses escape behind the bullet before it fully exits (ported barrel), so i didnt know if it would decrease anything or help start instability in the bullet itself after distance...

Well, how much do you understand about Newtonian physics?

j7 2012

#823668 - 02/18/13 05:28 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: j 7]
redhook
Unregistered

nothing... i dont even know what it is.... i assume its something that Issac Newton created?

does it have anything to do with Newtons Law?

#823670 - 02/18/13 05:33 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

nothing... i dont even know what it is.... i assume its something that Issac Newton created?

does it have anything to do with Newtons Law?

Its, laws, plural. Which one do you know of?

j7 2012

#823673 - 02/18/13 05:46 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: j 7]
redhook
Unregistered

uhhhhh...

the one that if you run smack dab into a wall, your internals will continue moving till they smack into their "wall" aka your skull ect...

im trying not to word it stupidly and sound dumb...

i think its velocity + mass = force

#823676 - 02/18/13 05:53 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Close RH, close. That's F=MA, as in force equals mass times acceleration. Carry on.

#823682 - 02/18/13 06:32 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

uhhhhh...

the one that if you run smack dab into a wall, your internals will continue moving till they smack into their "wall" aka your skull ect...

im trying not to word it stupidly and sound dumb...

i think its velocity + mass = force

Ok, maybe I can work with that, but lets stay away from equations. Your skull scenario is Newtons first Law. But, lets make your brain the bullet in this case. I hope you understand that in this scenario the projectile will stay in motion at a constant velocity until its acted upon. Lets say the primer ignites the powder and the majority of it burns on the way down the tube. So now we're right at the crown or muzzle. Both the gas and bullet are going the same velocity. The bullet is in front of the gas (assuming no gas has blown past or seeped around). Then we hit the atmosphere which acts on the bullet and the gas.

So now we are out of the barrel just a tiny bit. The bullet and the gas are now on a separate journey. The gas wants to expand and it slows down quick and short like a parachute while the bullet continues to haul ass. You talked about the huge flame that came out of your 06. The flame was the expanding gas and unburned powder and your bullet was out in front of that. So a muzzle brake is going to help the gas expand and slow down quicker and in different directions with less opportunity to interfere with the projectile. Does this help?

j7 2012

#823685 - 02/18/13 06:42 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: j 7]
redhook
Unregistered

yeah it helps alot... thanks...

Brownells has Schillen barrels for under 300 bucks that are pretty much screw on and go, with the exception of it needing to be reamed for head space... then maybe i could get Black Bart to do the rest for me?

BB you out there?? how much would that cost me?

first i would shoot it with the newer heavier barrel and stock and see if that takes some of the whack out of it... then decide on a brake... from my experience, brakes make guns louder than normal... i was shooting my Saiga a while back and there was a guy next to me shooting a 700 in .416 Rigby, or maybe it was a Jarrett cal, it was a tactical rifle, and he had a brake on it.... when he fired next to me, it burned my face with tingles and such, was extremely obnoxious, and painfull to be around...

im kinda trying to prevent that to an extent (the .416 is a massive round), dont want to piss anyone off too much with muzzle blast if they arent used to shooting next to it...

#823688 - 02/18/13 07:40 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Black Bart Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Adna
Oh Yeah. I'm out here Red Hook. But it would just be so wrong for me to take on any custom rifle work now that my Federal and State business and firearms licenses are no longer current.

My advice, get yourself a wrist rocket and some silly putty and have at 'em sonny boy.

#823694 - 02/18/13 07:54 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Black Bart]
redhook
Unregistered

nah, i stopped shooting sling shots when i was little... wink

you need all that crap to reem a barrel?

this is what im considering and likely will buy in a couple weeks

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/remington-700-barrel-prod25196.aspx

from what im gathering, its a near drop in barrel, with a little extra work (reaming) needed done, it does say in the specs that minor stock alteration is nessesary some times, i feel comfortable in doing that myself if needed... i pretty much have every wood working tool imaginable to do it...

the buddy that helped me with my 700 is dead, so i cant ask him for anything... i know zero gunsmiths, know zero about whos good and whos not, and would prefer to keep it in this state if i can... id also like to help out members of this site if i can by giving them a little cash and something to work on if they want...

if you wont do it, do you have any recommendations of people in the Puyallup/Tacoma area that are good smiths for a reasonable price? i dont need someone that charges 1000 dollars an hour for superb custom work, but i also dont want some dingbat that will try to install the barrel with vice grips....

RvDub, you know anyone down this way?

#823762 - 02/18/13 10:32 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Black Bart]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Black Bart
Oh Yeah. I'm out here Red Hook. But it would just be so wrong for me to take on any custom rifle work now that my Federal and State business and firearms licenses are no longer current.

My advice, get yourself a wrist rocket and some silly putty and have at 'em sonny boy.

rofl

If I were in that dudes slippers I'd continue chasing photography......

#823763 - 02/18/13 10:39 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

RvDub, you know anyone down this way?

===========================================

No I don't....at least that I've dealt with and could endorse. I'm sure there are a lot of good 'smiths down that way...I deal with local folks for most stuff.....whatever you do please don't think that your buddys-buddys friend is what I'm talking about.

Ask at some ranges, gunshops, etc.

#823779 - 02/18/13 11:48 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
redhook
Unregistered

no, im not going to just let anyone do it thats for sure...

ill contact The Marksman here and see what they say... ive just always noticed that smith fees from shops are higher than guys that do it by themselves... i was hoping to find someone like BB that does it for fun and such, i didnt know you had to have all the licensing and such to even be able to do it...

it shouldnt cost too much to have the barrel i linked installed... just dont want to get railroaded... this is just for fun, not for serious competition... dont want to pay competition prices, but also dont want to pay cheap and have someone screw up...

ill go talk to the guys at TSC tomorrow too...

#823859 - 02/19/13 01:50 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
so will Wildcat cartridges fit and work in a 06 sized action?

Wow.... just fuckin wow.....

#823875 - 02/19/13 03:13 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
im gonna do a new car.. and i dont feel like spending a sh!t ton right out of the gate for a stock car, that i add things too (spoilers, lowering kit, wide tires, LED lights, bad ass stereo taken from the tweaker camp next door...

so heres what im thinkin

have my dads Taurus, which was basically the Model SHO in the 80's, aka the "poor mans Pontiac Fiero"... im thinking about tearing her down and re doing it, the engine is shot to sh!t, but the rest of it is fine and looks great... so im thinking just grab a 3.4L SHO V8 they are relatively cheap, and it makes it a bit heavier than the 3,200 pounds it is, and a spoiler...

on ebay, there is a ton of engines that are new take off engines for sale... good prices too... i could go that route...

but im more interesting than that, as you know... I'm the most interesting man on PP and in the world!

can i swap the engines? its a V6 right now, and i do not want to go below that horsepower... if i buy a Porche, or Ferrari engine, can i get it done with that mount from the V6, or is it not long enough?

a V12 Hemi would be another option if i could find an engine (might have to sell some of my Picaso's to Stam), so will a Hemi fit and work in a V6 frame?

#823878 - 02/19/13 03:22 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: The Moderator]
redhook
Unregistered

rofl creative...

i think this is the stock im going to get with that barrel:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V2C...rd_i=B008MB2XN6

another one would be the wood Boyd's stocks i was looking at last night...

#823879 - 02/19/13 03:24 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Typo in your URL.

Try this:

http://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-stocks-ultralight.php

Best thing I ever did to my Grandpappy's trusty ol' Remmy 700 7mm-Mag...that and add on the Talley's and the Loopy FX6x42 with the BigStick approved M1 elevation turret.

The barrel beat to crap and rusted/pitted on the outside. Looks like crap. Took it to local smith who looked at the INSIDE of the barrel and said she was good to go. Had him do a trigger job on it...and left it alone minus the new McMillan.

(The BLUE tape has since been replaced by RED tape...so no need to lose any sleep over that)

#823882 - 02/19/13 03:31 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: The Moderator]
redhook
Unregistered

yeah i messed up anyways, its a BDL stock and BDLs have either detachable magazines or hinged floor plates, the ADL's are internals...

McMillan is a huge one, even the military uses them... but they get really expensive... i dont know what guns i was just looking at but the stocks were 350-500 bucks... little high in price for this, but always a thought...

heres the Boyd's:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/335801/...d-brown-drop-in

the problem i have tho with wood thumbhole stocks, is i dont care for some of the pistol grips that people create out of them, either they are funky shaped, or too small, or this, or that... but that is a cheap stock, looks nice, so i may just get it just because, i can always sell it to a friend down the road...

this was the main one i was looking at last night, and most likely will be the one that i will be getting... i like the style of it, and the grip looks to be nice... ill have to go hold one of similar dimensions at the Marksman or something to see if my hand feels the same as my eyes do

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/415683/...composite-black

#823894 - 02/19/13 04:13 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: The Moderator]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Originally Posted By: parker

(The BLUE tape has since been replaced by RED tape...so no need to lose any sleep over that)

I was concerned when I first gawked the picture until I read this!!!

#823896 - 02/19/13 04:19 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Timber]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Timber
so will Wildcat cartridges fit and work in a 06 sized action?

Wow.... just fuckin wow.....

RH needs to slow down before he turns his dad's rifle into a pile of shidt.

#823901 - 02/19/13 04:36 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: SundayMoney]
redhook
Unregistered

your right SM, i was getting ahead of myself...

i will be getting that Shilen barrel from Brownells in the 30-06 cal, that Choate target stock from Midway, a Timney trigger, and be done with it for now... i do like the Millett with the iluminated reticle, but its another 550 bucks on top of the 550 that will be spent on the other parts... id be better off just buying another gun with that kind of money...

i have been thinking about just getting a stock 700 Varmint barrel as well... then, ive also thought about just getting the same barrel that came on it and not messing with it at all and use it for hunting at short to medium range... and just starting from scratch...

there are a ton of cool guns around to start from if i decide to scrap this idea, Savage, Remington, Ruger, ive owned all three and each one shot great (Savage Model 10 .308, Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag, Ruger M77 MKii .338 Win Mag), i know the weapons well, and they arent "that" expensive if you buy a nice used one...

i still would like to get that Shilen tho, they are world renowned for accuracy, and that price is a great price for a barrel like that... from Shilen themselves, a barrel like that would be in the 400 dollar range probably...

either way, im still wanting to get this done in a timely manner... so i will have to add up the prices and see what route would be better to go, take my dads, or start over... with my dads (it is just a gun after all), i already have the gun, so no need to spend 600 bucks out of the gate on a new one...

any of you guys doing anything cool?

#823928 - 02/19/13 06:48 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: The Moderator]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: parker
im gonna do a new car.. and i dont feel like spending a sh!t ton right out of the gate for a stock car, that i add things too (spoilers, lowering kit, wide tires, LED lights, bad ass stereo taken from the tweaker camp next door...

so heres what im thinkin

have my dads Taurus, which was basically the Model SHO in the 80's, aka the "poor mans Pontiac Fiero"... im thinking about tearing her down and re doing it, the engine is shot to sh!t, but the rest of it is fine and looks great... so im thinking just grab a 3.4L SHO V8 they are relatively cheap, and it makes it a bit heavier than the 3,200 pounds it is, and a spoiler...

on ebay, there is a ton of engines that are new take off engines for sale... good prices too... i could go that route...

but im more interesting than that, as you know... I'm the most interesting man on PP and in the world!

can i swap the engines? its a V6 right now, and i do not want to go below that horsepower... if i buy a Porche, or Ferrari engine, can i get it done with that mount from the V6, or is it not long enough?

a V12 Hemi would be another option if i could find an engine (might have to sell some of my Picaso's to Stam), so will a Hemi fit and work in a V6 frame?

^This just really deserved some additional acknowledgement.

Well done!

#823933 - 02/19/13 07:13 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA

Waiting on an AR upper receiver so that I can start another 6.8 AR-15 build. Barrel is in hand, as is the quick detach suppressor mount. The lower is already built. Just need my upper parts list to arrive. The only thing I may be missing is a Delta ring, but I think I have that figured out.

I'll do a little pic by pic tutorial. Good project for me and the boys.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#823943 - 02/19/13 07:45 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Dogfish]
Piper
Unregistered

nice work Parker wink

Redhook,
if its all about target practice... 100 bucks will get you a nice 900-1000 fps pellet rifle. Add a scope and you can shoot the flies off of the ceiling in the doublewide without fear of being arrested for illegal firearms discharge...

#823944 - 02/19/13 07:49 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Dogfish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Waiting on an AR upper receiver so that I can start another 6.8 AR-15 build. Barrel is in hand, as is the quick detach suppressor mount. The lower is already built. Just need my upper parts list to arrive. The only thing I may be missing is a Delta ring, but I think I have that figured out.

I'll do a little pic by pic tutorial. Good project for me and the boys.

I'm waiting on (2 ea) 8-36 x 1/8" set screws that I couldn't source anywhere in the Portland area.
8-32 all day long, but no 8-36.
Then I will have a 20" 6.8 AR-P rifle.
Latest and greatest 6.8 chamber called 6.8 AR-P, 5R rifling, 11.25 twist and Melonited.
ACT trigger with JP yellow/red spring kit.

Should be able to light it up in about a week.

Finally found some of those Lancer translucent mags (5.56)
458 guys seem to like these for those fat boys, as well.
They're waiting at the UPS hub.

#823946 - 02/19/13 07:51 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

i already have 2 pellet rifles, just shot one of them as a matter of fact... one is 1100 FPS roughly, and the other is 8-900 or so probably more to the low end, havent chronoed them...

matter of fact, i think im gonna strip the lower one down and paint the stock blue... right now as a matter of fact!!

#823947 - 02/19/13 07:56 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

paint the stock blue...

You have a paper bag big enough to hold the stock? wink

#823949 - 02/19/13 07:59 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

just stripped it down...

why not do pictures with this as well... gay, but fun i suppose...

#823963 - 02/19/13 08:35 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

originally it was baby doo doo brown, so i painted it black... but i smacked it a couple times and it chipped..

decided on the Red paint this round...

#823970 - 02/19/13 08:59 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

originally it was baby doo doo brown, so i painted it black... but i smacked it a couple times and it chipped..

decided on the Red paint this round...

Might want to wait 'til Stam gets back.
He can show you how to trick that thing out with an Orange County Chopper type paint job.

#823974 - 02/19/13 09:18 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

yea i screwed up... it was coming out great, but started to bubble the black paint near the grip, so its screwed... could be due to using 2 different kinds of paint DUH!!!...

ill have to strip it down to the wood tomorrow and start over... no biggie, i got some 400 grit around here somwhere...

#823979 - 02/19/13 09:27 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

yea i screwed up... it was coming out great, but started to bubble the black paint near the grip, so its screwed... could be due to using 2 different kinds of paint DUH!!!...

are sure you didn't just sneeze while you had your face in the paper bag?

#824001 - 02/19/13 10:23 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Stick with meth. wink

- Albert Einstein.

#824016 - 02/19/13 11:05 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Sol Duc]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Use some Chemical stripper or something similar. Screw the sanding. Get it down to bare wood, then do a simple stain and then a solid clear coat finish.

#824019 - 02/19/13 11:14 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Dogfish]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Chemical and stripper in the same sentence.

#824026 - 02/19/13 11:25 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Dogfish]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Use some Chemical stripper or something similar. Screw the sanding. Get it down to bare wood, then do a simple stain and then a solid clear coat finish.

+1

Not too sure why I'm replying, as RH as it all figured out and doesn't take good advice when it's shown to him in big old fat pictures.

But, just in case.....

Buy the sealer and the finish. Follow these instructions:

http://laurelmountainforge.com/instructions.htm

The result will be something like this:

(Shoes not included)

#824040 - 02/19/13 11:42 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: The Moderator]
redhook
Unregistered

man you guys are killin me here...

Parker, i listen to everything everyone says to me on here.. i dont know why you guys keep thinking i dont....

my initial thought was to use stripper, but i dont/didnt know what it would do to the wood... this is a air rifle stock, they didnt use Mahogany for it wink .... matter of fact, it may even be Pine... i dont need it to look as sexy as that M 1, so i figured id just paint it again... when i did it black, it looked great, and lasted a couple years without any clear coat on it.... that was just your standard semi gloss Walmart rattle can paint... i have this paint i was using on spoons that i kinda liked, and thought i would shoot it... well, that wasnt cheap paint, it was like 8 bucks for the half a can... i think its the 2 different paints that caused it, one high grade auto paint, the other low grade garbage paint....

the stock doesnt even have any grainage in it, so staining it would be kinda pointless... (trust me, i would have done that instead of painted it if it were applicable)...

painting was just the easiest route, and decent looking, actually good looking...

#824043 - 02/19/13 11:53 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Two experienced guys vote for stripper/stain vs one guy asking for advice...paint gets the nod. (while he listens intently to everything) Priceless.

#824067 - 02/20/13 02:02 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

put up some pics Redd... my M77 was NICE... i actually traded a Bushmaster AR for a M77 MK II SS .338 with this weird greenish ashwood (i think it was) stock... the grain and detail of it were crazy... i should have kept that gun... it was painfull to shoot more than 10 rounds out of it tho... the 275 grainers aint no joke...

#824091 - 02/20/13 11:16 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

i listen to everything everyone says to me on here.. i dont know why you guys keep thinking i dont....

I liken situations like this to a rainy day. Of course you can hear through the hood of your rain jacket but your hair stays dry. I think what most of us observe here is that you are sprayed with a fire hose of experience and science but you keep your rain gear on. It seems the return is misconceived contradictions and flakey ideas that change by the post. Maybe take the hood off and let your hair get wet.

j7 2012

#824103 - 02/20/13 12:23 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: j 7]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: j 7
i listen to everything everyone says to me on here.. i dont know why you guys keep thinking i dont....

I liken situations like this to a rainy day. Of course you can hear through the hood of your rain jacket but your hair stays dry. I think what most of us observe here is that you are sprayed with a fire hose of experience and science but you keep your rain gear on. It seems the return is misconceived contradictions and flakey ideas that change by the post. Maybe take the hood off and let your hair get wet.

Most have dreams and ideas. Attainable, possibly attainable and unobtainable.
RH just does all this dreaming out loud and in public.

#824116 - 02/20/13 01:55 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Direct-Drive]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Redhook's brain operates like a random number generator. Anything that comes out of it making sense is purely coincidental. Cheap entertainment though.

#824601 - 02/22/13 03:58 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: RowVsWade]
goodjob Offline
goodbye goodjob

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
Originally Posted By: Black Bart

rofl

If I were in that dudes slippers I'd continue chasing photography......

.....slippers!!! Haha! That was good. I bet RH owns a pretty comfy pair..or two? One when he has to take the garbage out/restock Mt. Dew and another pair for playing on 'puter, xbox, etc.

Edited by goodjob (02/22/13 03:59 PM)

#824604 - 02/22/13 04:02 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: goodjob]
goodjob Offline
goodbye goodjob

RH sells his grandmas oxycontin and they are worth quite a bit I have been told....Prolly has the money.

#824607 - 02/22/13 04:07 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
goodjob Offline
goodbye goodjob

Maybe, just maybe, if we are really, really super lucky.......

The gun is for putting in his mouth and he wants to go out in style?!

#824608 - 02/22/13 04:08 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: goodjob]
redhook
Unregistered

shes dead ybd... both of em are, one died from cancer 4 years ago and the other died from Alzhiemers 2 years ago...

thanks for the kind words.... this will be the last time i respond to your garbage, go mess with someone else... im serious...

to the rest,

im ordering the stock first, making sure everything fits right in it since it has an aluminum bedding block, and getting the barrel next... im going to look on ebay too for a McMillan stock as Parker suggested, because i have shot them and they are extremely nice stocks... i do like the ones that i linked up, but this gun kicks as it is, i dont think getting a super light stock would do anything to stop that... so im going to look along more traditional styles than some cool looking "sniper stock".... i can use the Marlin 30-30 to hunt with, and use this as a target gun...

#824610 - 02/22/13 04:16 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
goodjob Offline
goodbye goodjob

He'th tho therioth!!!!!

#824612 - 02/22/13 04:18 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: goodjob]
goodjob Offline
goodbye goodjob

Or you could just buy a used custom rifle unstead of fuking up your dad's gun?!

Hand me down rifles from you past on kin aren't fo modifying.

#824615 - 02/22/13 04:25 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: goodjob]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: goodjob

One of the best posts in this thread.
Prolly won't penetrate though....it'll just roll off.

#824621 - 02/22/13 04:35 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

DD, heres some info about this situation

that rifle has probably in the area of 10,000 rounds through it, during my younger days... we would shoot 1-200 rounds out of it each time we took it out, and that was usually every weekend or day possible...

it will not hold groups, at all, whatsoever... you will put all 5 rounds on target, but could cover it up with a basketball... and before you say its me, 2 other people have shot it during the last outing, and both got the same results...

my brother took it in to Bear Arms, and they said the barrel is shot...

fine... no problem...

when i had my .338 my dad wanted it really bad... he even offered me 200 bucks PLUS this rifle... so he must have really cared about it a ton....

the 870 Wingmasters will never be touched... they will remain in their nice beautiful wooden glory... no short barrels, no pistol grips, just the sexy wood and 28 inchers that already are on it...

the 06, as of right now, it cant even be shot... well it can, if you want to just waste money on nothing... i dont... i want to shoot this thing again, and i want it to shoot like it should...

and im going to make it do that, regardless if people want to make fun of me about it or not...

i also know for certian my dad would be pretty excited and impressed with what im about to do to it... you might be too... just buying the stock and barrel now as i said, i will borrow one of Katies dads Zeiss high zoomage scopes he uses for Benchrest Comps to see what kind of power scope i need/want... then ill start thinking about buying one of my own...

#824635 - 02/22/13 05:20 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

i want to shoot this thing again, and i want it to shoot like it should...

your pentax DSLR is saying the same thing...

the Sun is starting to peek out here in seattle, and that means just one thing...
might be a nice moon again tonight beer

#824642 - 02/22/13 05:26 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
goodjob Offline
goodbye goodjob

I was a lot like redhook 20 years ago, I gotta say.

I'm 29 now.

#824661 - 02/22/13 06:21 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: Piper

the Sun is starting to peek out here in seattle, and that means just one thing...
might be a nice moon again tonight beer

Chortle.

#824664 - 02/22/13 06:28 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Dogfish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

On the cover the moon stuff is pretty funny.
Could be he's mooning us though ......nah.

crazy

#824760 - 02/23/13 12:25 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: goodjob]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: goodjob

Yep, sac-relig.

- Albert Einstein.

#830474 - 03/21/13 11:37 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: ]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
Go buy a savage in 260, or heck...any number of great choices. You will shoot little groups, and not have the hassle. Prob be cheaper too. When ya start talking about wildcats, and 28" barrels n all kinds of chit you will be over a grand in no time. Spend the money on glass. Jmho.. I gotta 6br that makes the 17lb mark if you want to shoot light gun 1000 yd. let ya have it for 2. smile Its a tac driver.

I went shooting the other day. It was windy. Poor day for load testing. I only took AR's. I had a little 2 group thing going with the .243 that was pissin me off. Groups were ok tho for the most part. I broke out the Blackout, and some 147 pull downs. 125 sierras, and 130 Hornady spire points. Combinrd with 1680, 296, and Lil Gun. Man... That thing is gonna shoot. I was going to be happy if the thing shot into 2 or 3" was going to load up a bunch of fodder, and blaze away. The dang thing is a half inch gun. Well it is now. I'll fukk that up when I load 50 to prove it 10 more times.

Got to babbling a bit there. Good luck on the project!

#830477 - 03/21/13 11:46 AM Re: lets talk building... [Re: GEAR MONGER 2]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

.300 BO barrel is on order. That will be the me t build after tonight's 6.8 SPC build.

#830532 - 03/21/13 04:06 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: Dogfish]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
Nice!! I'm running to grab a 3 gun trigger now to put in a lower. I don't know what's wrong with me. Lol. The g ssa e is nice. Just want to try a 3 gun.

#830586 - 03/21/13 07:47 PM Re: lets talk building... [Re: GEAR MONGER 2]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: GEAR MONGER 2
Nice!! I'm running to grab a 3 gun trigger now to put in a lower. I don't know what's wrong with me. Lol. The g ssa e is nice. Just want to try a 3 gun.

It's called BRD.
There is no known cure.
Presently I'm salivating over a Mega billet side charger in .458 SOCOM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 971 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |