Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82621 - 10/12/99 07:40 PM Willie Drift Boats
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I'm curious if anybody has bought one of the $3995 willie specials and what they are like? I see that Koffler has the same kind of deal going right now. How do the 2 boats compare?

#82622 - 10/13/99 01:43 PM Re: Willie Drift Boats
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I bought a 98 willie using that package and I have no complaints. Steve their rep. was helpful, courteous and patient-important issues with me.

It is a well built boat and quite solid. handles tight white water (olympic penninsula)well.

As extra options I ordered a fishbox, gunnel guards and coat-it on the bottom. A word of caution on the bottom coating-do it yourself.
They charged 150.00 for bottom coating and what I got was damn thin. I had to put 2 more coats on to get it to an acceptable thickness for real protection.

Other than that glitch, I do reccomend them. They are very proffessional with a quality boat.
Good luck.

#82623 - 10/13/99 03:19 PM Re: Willie Drift Boats
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
I own a 17'X60" Fish-Rite that I love... so I can't help you. I have seen a few more Wild Hairs down here in the last few years, and they look good. I have never rowed one, but from what I hear, Bob loves his. I would like to know how they compare in price? I know it all depend on the options? But what options to they offer that are unique to Wild Hair?

I went to a 60" bottom a couple years ago (from a 54") and really like the stability. I don't fish any white water,infact we dodn't even have water on the south coast of Oregon. I have a 5 year old son who is my #1 fishing partner, and I like the extra room and stability it gives me with him in the boat. I am 6'6" and weigh 275 pounds, I like how this 60"er sits in the water and I feel it is easier to row than the old 54"er. (My 60" has the split front bench and I like that it also have the side anchor system and I love that).

I am looking to replacemy oars and think I am going with the Sawyer HyBrid Composite's with 30" ash blades.
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#82624 - 10/14/99 12:50 AM Re: Willie Drift Boats
Fishlips Offline
Parr

Loc: Issaquah, WA
I picked up the $3995 package on the 99 Willie 16 ft wide bottom guide model. I'm still getting used to it after rowing an Alumiweld for the last 10 years. I'm not convinced that the sharper upsweep of the bottom for and aft on these boats compared to a traditional Mckenzie design really makes a better handling boat yet. It does make it more difficult to stand in the front end of the boat because of the steeper incline. Another draw back is that with the bow sticking up in the air like a sail, its really had an effect on my truck gas milage when towing it. Another thing to consider is the $3995 package comes with the standard 0.1 inch bottom. Despite the use of the "aircraft grade" aluminum, I've found the bottom still dents easier than the 0.125 bottom that's standard on Alumiwelds. So if you float alot in low water or on more challenging streams you might consider upgrading to a thicker bottom. I would also avoid paying the $150 for the microthin applied bottom coating. Not only was the Coat-it applied very thin, the bottom was not prepped properly either. Large areas of the coating peeled off just from contacting with the trailer rollers. All in all though - its a pretty easy rowing boat -as long as you don't overload it.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |