Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#829550 - 03/18/13 01:20 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: goharley]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
I would say the comment has to do with the children present not the act. I think anyone who wants to be done........Be done. Who am I to say you can not but don't go pull the trigger in front of children and make them live with that for the rest of their lives.

That part is cowardly if it is truely what happened.

#829551 - 03/18/13 01:31 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: docspud]
Rossiman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe, WA
Goharley. The guy took his own life in public, in front of a classroom full of people, where kids where supposedly present. Thats cowardly.
If you want to kill yourself, do it in your own home... Better yet, don't do it at all, but still. Going to a gun safety class and doing it in front of people was a cowardly thing to do...

#829553 - 03/18/13 02:17 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: Rossiman]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
I get the point about the children, but that's not cowardly, per se, it's just bad judgement.

#829557 - 03/18/13 02:55 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: goharley]
Piper
Unregistered

In my opinion, suicide is both a selfish and cowardly act... no matter who commits it...

that said...

there is no reason to hurt a grieving friend/relative by calling their loved one a selfish coward to their face... some things are better left unsaid...

#829580 - 03/18/13 06:15 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Had two family members, a few clients, and three friends leave this way. I don't agree with their reasoning, and I think their decisions were extremely selfish, especially after seeing the destruction left in the wake of their deaths. At least all but one had the decency to keep it a private affair, and not do it in front of anyone.

Dick decided to shoot himself in front of his wife, and a number of officers. I thought that was rather uncalled for. At least he didn't make them shoot him.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#829582 - 03/18/13 06:16 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: ]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
A terminally ill person who lives in pain daily is one thing; but this isn't the case and to do it in front of others, especially kids is cowardly at least in my worthless opinion.
You don't know that to be the case, unless you are privy to information the rest of us are not concerning the reasons for taking his own life. I do agree that doing so in front of others unaffiliated showed poor judgement.

#829606 - 03/18/13 09:08 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: goharley]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: goharley
Really? Did you know this guy personally? How do you know he wasn't diagnosed with a terminal illness that the cost of treatment would have put his family in dire financial straits? Perhaps taking his own life provided financial security for his wife and kids; bravest thing he could have done. My point is, if you don't know the particular circumstances behind why someone chooses to take their own life, you shouldn't label them as cowardly.

Weren't there several people associated with this board that took their own life? One I believe was quite well like, if not revered. Is he labeled a spineless coward as well, too? Or another that used to post here (banned on several occasions), whose son took his own life... I doubt you'd call his son a spineless coward to his face.

Just sayin'.

If you think it's such a noble act, maybe you should try it. Don't be so fvcking stupid.

#829609 - 03/18/13 09:23 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: fish4brains]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

+1

- Albert Einstein.

#829612 - 03/18/13 09:52 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: Sol Duc]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
IMO, suicide is always selfish, it may be the best choice in some cases....but to do it in front of an audience is another matter. Martyrdom in the extreme. "Pooor me" to the max. A good friend of mine took himself out with a shotgun.....was dying of cancer and didn't want to spend his savings on medical bills when his family was in need. His family of course would not have approved. I can respect that. No audience. That is why I say sometimes it's the best choice.......

The SOB that this thread is about was the "poor me" loser who now has caused a lot of crap for others to deal with......sickening.

#829627 - 03/18/13 10:41 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: ParaLeaks]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Hmmm, how interesting. Some of you sure didn't have these same attitudes back in early May of 2011.

#829676 - 03/19/13 12:52 AM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: ]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Ah, reality.... I had to tell my toddler sons that their mother--my wife--had died. I've handed flags to widows and grieving mothers.

I know reality; and I've been around long enough to know you cannot pass rash judgement concerning someone's actions without a glimpse of their motivation. Hell, it's one of the tenets of our judicial system.

I did not mean to imply that family member(s) he may have had would not be affected. I merely challenged your assertion that the man was a coward when you don't know anything about him.

#829738 - 03/19/13 08:18 AM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: goharley]
fish4brains Offline

Hmmm, how interesting. Some of you sure didn't have these same attitudes back in early May of 2011.

My attitude has not changed pre or post May 2011.

#829745 - 03/19/13 09:37 AM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: fish4brains]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Funny.......how different people see cowardice and heroism differently.

........just thinking out loud.......

#829755 - 03/19/13 10:23 AM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: ParaLeaks]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
The definitions are constant, however, one shouldn't assign a label until the facts are known.

#829782 - 03/19/13 12:03 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: goharley]
fish4brains Offline

Originally Posted By: Slab Happy
The definitions are constant, however, one shouldn't assign a label until the facts are known.

A hero would not consider affecting other people negatively through their actions.

#829818 - 03/19/13 03:19 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: fish4brains]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Do you know for certain whether that man considered what affect his actions would have on others? My guess is no, you do not, you're merely speculating.

Interesting, though, that if your premise is a hero's actions never negatively impact others, do you advocate removing hero status of war veterans? Surely you can agree that whatever actions a war hero took negatively affected the loved ones of those he fought against. So either your premise is unsupportable, or there are stipulations to heroism of which I'm not aware.

#829881 - 03/19/13 06:48 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: goharley]
fish4brains Offline

Do you know for certain whether that man considered what affect his actions would have on others? My guess is no, you do not, you're merely speculating.

Interesting, though, that if your premise is a hero's actions never negatively impact others, do you advocate removing hero status of war veterans? Surely you can agree that whatever actions a war hero took negatively affected the loved ones of those he fought against. So either your premise is unsupportable, or there are stipulations to heroism of which I'm not aware.

The thread is about suicide, not a soldier's actions during conflict. Stop trying to twist it to fit your weird agenda.

#829885 - 03/19/13 06:54 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: fish4brains]
Piper
Unregistered

its a strawman arguement and not a very good one... As Dan S can surely testify, the only thing good about a strawman is they only take a spark and they burn really f'n big evil

#829915 - 03/19/13 07:54 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I wouldn't be hard on GH, seriously. I know where he works, and who he works with, good folks under huge amounts of stress of the worst kind. I'm pretty certain he has seen much more than his fair share of incidents like this, maybe not necessarily in person, but he certainly has experienced the collateral damage afterwards on a firsthand basis.

Hopefully Rick, you weren't upset by any of my specific comments.

Take care.

Suicide may be painless for the person committing the act, but it takes a toll on those left to pick up the pieces.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#829918 - 03/19/13 08:04 PM Re: Suicide at Bellevue Range [Re: Dogfish]
fish4brains Offline

Thanks Andy. I'm done with this one.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FishTickler, LadyZehe, MADWIZERD
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 341 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645468 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |