LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83173 - 11/22/99 11:47 PM need some advice from the pro's...
Harbor_Hog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Bob and or any other guides. I live in Aberdeen and fish most of the rivers around the area such as the Wynoochee, Wishkah, Humptulips, Satsop, Chehalis, etc... I have a 16' custom made jet sled but I am looking towards buying a drift boat but my question to you is it hard to become a guide? I love being on the river and would spend my whole life there if I was able to. I am just curious but does guiding make you decent money? I am only 17 but know my way around most of the rivers really well. Is there any tips that you can give me to get started or am I just wasting my time?well thanks for your time.

#83174 - 11/23/99 08:17 PM Re: need some advice from the pro's...
noodle rodder Offline
Fry

Loc: Silverdale,Washington,Kitsap
Start out small. Offer to guide some rivers on this sight for about ten to twenty dollars fot each person and don't take more than two people at a time. Make sure you can provide some equipment if necessary. Practice by using some of your relatives as clients and go out and scout around, see what holes holed fish. Write me back if you have any luck and please tell me if you are having any luck on the Humptulips, Salmon, and Clearwater.

#83175 - 11/23/99 08:37 PM Re: need some advice from the pro's...
Harbor_Hog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
NoodleRooder, I will be fishing Stevens Creek above the hatchery this weekend in hopes of hooking up with some nice early hatchery steelies but who knows... More than likely will fish the Satsop with in a few days also. Probably where the East fork meets the Turno branch, hope to find some clear water. Thanks for your advice on the guiding, we will try and see what happens...

#83176 - 11/24/99 11:49 PM Re: need some advice from the pro's...
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Andy,

I to have thought about doing the guiding thing maybe as a part time hobby thing to make a feew extra $$$ to pay for my tackle and cost of fishing. I am only a few yrs older.(22) hope things do well for you. I woould be intrested in going on a little trip with ya someday to learn some new tricks. I like the Nooche and Satsop. havn't gotten out the last few weeks and won't untill after late Archery. Anyway how is you're experience on the Nooche and Satsop? I haven't fished either this time of year. Will the Satsop have many silvers in it the next few weeks? hatchery or natives?

dcrzfitter

#83177 - 11/25/99 01:38 PM Re: need some advice from the pro's...
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Andy and dcrz,

I've fished the Satsop and 'Nooch for many years. If either of you guys want to email me, I'd be glad to give you some advice on drifts, techniques and run timing. I'd rather not discuss it in detail on the Board, though........

Fish on......

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#83178 - 11/27/99 03:32 PM Re: need some advice from the pro's...
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
Don't forget to look into special license requirements (WDFW, USCG, etc.)! Technically, even a guest bringing along the beer as compensation for the trip constitutes a "passenger for hire," but definitely if you're being paid.
I'm rusty on this state's rules, but how about you full time guides addressing these details?
Special insurance policy too?
Not to forget the "thick skin" protection against all those 'difficult' clients!

#83179 - 11/28/99 01:03 AM Re: need some advice from the pro's...
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Some other things to consider for guys wanting to try the guiding game ...

Although the state DOES NOT require insurance, first-aid / CPR and the like ... only a fool would operate without them. My old roomate (guided here for about 30 years) has had two people suffer heart attacks in his boat ... one fellow made it, the other unfortunately didn't ... these people's lives are in your hands sometimes an hour or more away from medical help. Or consider the ramifactions of a lawsuit based on someone slipping on a slick floorboard in your boat???

Another thing to consider if you're going part-time (which most people of course do starting out) ... in nearly all instances, it is a "guide thing" not to try to compete with working guides on your days off ... some guides even feel that you shouldn't be on the river AT ALL if you're not working (this isn't always the case, but there are those that have this opinion) ... so there won't be any early starts for you on your days off ... you'll be expected to be one of the last on the river and fish behind those working ... so, if you like to fish on your own or with buddies, keep that one in mind ... good luck!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FISH'N BRASS, jomat, Rollo, Venga, Warlock49766
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (eddie), 782 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645447 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |