LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#829697 - 03/19/13 01:54 AM Lets talk building projects in progress.
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Picked up a few stripped upper receivers last week from Aero Precision. Tacoma company. Ordered Thursday morning, had in hand Friday afternoon. Shipped conveniently to my bank. The ladies at the bank are interested, but not concerned with what gets shipped there. ""Andy, is this ammo, or more parts?"

Also ordered a few other parts from three other sources. The first package arrived today. Upper receiver parts!

With the help of a few simple tools....

....and done with step #1.

Should have barrels, delta ring parts, a gas tube and a handguard tomorrow. I'll update as I have time and run through test fire and first group. Probably limit it to 50 yards, as I don't have optics yet, just a red dot and some BUIS.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#829830 - 03/19/13 04:12 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

They might make a slab side upper, but mine are hunting rifles, not benchrest beauties, so a FA is necessary. Cool thing is they are local. Got the upper receiver parts from MidwayUSA.com. $294 for the two upper receivers, all parts, including charging handles.

I invested in a BCM high speed/low drag CH because the rifle that is going on will be suppressed from time to time. It will also get an adjustable gas tube.

Some more specialized tools will come out for the barrel attachment, vise block, wrench, and so on. Tools required are actually pretty minimal. I won't go into absolutely everything, but it will be done correctly.

#830052 - 03/20/13 12:29 AM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Dogfish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Looks nice.
I thought that looked like a Gunfighter CH. smile

Don't know if you've purchased any barrel install tools yet but I will vouch for the Gem State wrench.
$40 shipped and made in Idaho, USA.
Laser cut from 1/4" plate.
http://www.gem-state-armory.com/ar-armorers-wrench/

I'll send it up if you want to try it and the Brownells clam shell.
I also have a 6x lifetime supply of AeroShell 33MS which is the official moly-fortified grease for the barrel nut.

I've been using the Brownells clamshell which is very well made.
The Spikes Block Works gets good reviews as well and there is a Block Works knock off on Ebay getting good reviews.
The knock off is US made probably by a retired machinist...machined from HDPE I believe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMORERS-HEAVY-D...=item2327de5959

#830061 - 03/20/13 12:53 AM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Got the rest of the parts for my M4gery upper build.

Install the completed upper receiver into the receiver block.

Insert the receiver block into your vise. (I did all of the finish assembly/torqueing in my bench vise, but just used the kitchen table for loose assembly and photos)

Get your delta ring assembly ready and then assembly with the C-ring going on last.

Apply your chosen anti-galling agent to the threads on the receiver and insert the barrel, aligning the pin on the receiver extension into the notch.

Using the gas tube, align the gap in the delta ring so that it is top dead center. (I used a spare tube, just in case.) Tighten the barrel nut, back it off a bit, tighten again, loosen, tighten again, and align one of the notches (shown by the barrel nut wrench pin) with the gas tube. 80 ft/lbs is the torque amount I use, checked with a torque wrench.

Insert the gas tube from the receiver end, through the delta ring, and align in the front sight base. Install 5/64"x1/4" roll pin into the front sight base, securing the gas tube.

Install the crush washer, then the flash hider. Tighten as needed, using the crush washer to properly time the flash hider. (Done in the vise block.) With an A2 flash hider, the closed section is at 6 o'clock.

Install the front hand guard.

Install the charging handle and bolt carrier group.

Install rear sight systems. I run a flip up rear sight in addition to a Bushnell red dot.

6.8SPC assembly should take place Thursday. Both rifles will be checked for headspace, then test fired this weekend. Accuracy tests after that.

There are three specialized tools needed, the vise block, headspace gauges, and the barrel wrench, but after that most guys have the tools in their garage or on their workbench to be able to complete an upper.

There are a number of things I left out (Black Bart is probably cringing), so before you do it, buy a book and read up on it, talk with an experienced builder, and get to it.

More later this week.

#830065 - 03/20/13 01:02 AM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I have the Brownell's block. It is a good one. I have three wrenches, an all-in-one and two of which attach to my torque wrench, but I appreciate the offer.

These are relatively low dollar builds, about $900 cash cost for the two, minus sights, which I already have. Pretty inexpensive considering the environment. Of course, if your factor in the profiteering I've engaged in over the past three months, my actual costs for these uppers is about $475-$500 total. I'll ship .45ACP brass to Alabama all day long at $90/1,000, when they pick up shipping. I'm going to hell, but at least I'll be well armed.

#832490 - 04/01/13 02:07 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Dogfish]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
no pics but I've started the ball rolling on a .458 Socom AR15.
the upper has yet to hit the market but should be out soon. It'll be built on a new Magnum upper able to handle Mag pressure but attach to a 15 lower.Barrel will be 16'' polleygonel
rifling. Probably top it with a good red dot and later a quality Holographic.

Kris

#832493 - 04/01/13 02:33 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: dcrzfitter]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I have a .458 Socom as well, built by Marty Ter Weeme on a Larue billet upper. It is pretty stout.

Is Mega or Aero making this new upper receiver?

If you handload and would like to try a few different bullet profiles, I have many types from 250gr-500. I can make you up a projectile sampler pack. It is a fun cartridge.

#832524 - 04/01/13 07:48 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

More parts!

#832604 - 04/02/13 01:39 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Dogfish]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Dogfish,

I would be interested in some help building loads. I do hand load but haven't picked up powder or dies. I did pick up a bunch of brass and bullets. Not sure what powder to buy. Maybe H110? The builder has asked me to keep this under raps until it's made public. It was suppose to be released at Shot Show this year so I'm thinking it is but won't use their name with it until I know for sure.
Its a local Washington company that is known for their barrels. It's been talked about on the internet some. You can find it with google. It's not a Mega upper but they might be doing the production work for the inventor.

The thought behind building on the mag upper receiver is to possibly be able to push this round a little more than with the standard AR15 upper. I guess it could be called a .458 SOCOM Mag if it works out. I'll probably do another build on the mag upper as soon as this one is done. I'm thinking something in .308 cal. on a wssm case. I've
never built an AR and now I'm getting the bug.

Kris

Edited by dcrzfitter (04/02/13 01:48 PM)

#832635 - 04/02/13 05:40 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: dcrzfitter]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

H110 is a great powder for .458. 296 is also good. 4198 also works, Reloader 7, Lil' gun, etc. Basically powders that work well for .44mag and .454 Cassul will work well for .458 Socom. There are a few guys here who have them.

#832637 - 04/02/13 06:05 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: dcrzfitter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: dcrzfitter

The thought behind building on the mag upper receiver is to possibly be able to push this round a little more than with the standard AR15 upper.

As you dig into it, you will find that the upper receiver has nothing to do with containing the explosion.
That is the duty of the chamber, barrel extension and bolt.
Those three components are the "vault".

The upper receiver is just a "tunnel" for the BCG (bolt/carrier group) to ride in.

Olympic Arms has monkeyed with the WSSM cartridge in the mouse frame (AR15 as opposed to AR10) with varying degrees of success.
Many believe that their WSSM design renders critical areas too weak.

If you want a 458 SOCOM it is best to stay with Marty's design.
Just an oversized ejection port, 458 bolt and 458 barrel.
The round single stacks in a 5.56 mag.
No need to re-invent anything.

Welcome to BRD (Black Rifle Disease)....no known cure.

#832644 - 04/02/13 07:30 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Direct-Drive]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

direct drive,

I realize what you are saying. This new Mag upper will be able to handle the pressure of the wssm because it will use an AR10 Bolt. The limiting factor will be the lower. As you know it limits the length of cartridge but handles no pressure.

This upper is not just for the .458. I just got wind of it after I had already ordered my barrel and So I called them and asked about doing a build for me on the new upper when it comes out. I hope to be able to pump it up just a little more.
They are a very reputable company with a few other new things coming to the market soon.

What kind of velocity are you guys seeing with a 300grn, 500grn bullet?

Kris

#832648 - 04/02/13 08:56 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: dcrzfitter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: dcrzfitter
direct drive,

I realize what you are saying. This new Mag upper will be able to handle the pressure of the wssm because it will use an AR10 Bolt. The limiting factor will be the lower. As you know it limits the length of cartridge but handles no pressure.

This upper is not just for the .458. I just got wind of it after I had already ordered my barrel and So I called them and asked about doing a build for me on the new upper when it comes out. I hope to be able to pump it up just a little more.
They are a very reputable company with a few other new things coming to the market soon.

What kind of velocity are you guys seeing with a 300grn, 500grn bullet?

Kris

Again, the upper doesn't handle pressure.
Sounds like vaporware to me, my friend.
I would not plan around it.

#832683 - 04/03/13 02:23 AM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Direct-Drive]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

300gr bullets in the 1800+ range. Over 1800fps you see swipes on the case head.

500gr in the 1,000-1,100 range.

#832692 - 04/03/13 12:02 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

#832695 - 04/03/13 01:40 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: ]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Have heard good things.....

LaRue LT-104 w/ QD

#832699 - 04/03/13 02:36 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Driftin']
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

LaRue is good. I have an upper of theirs.

#832807 - 04/04/13 12:36 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: Dogfish]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Direct drive,

I'm really new to this AR world so I won't' try and BS. The way they explained it to me is the mag upper will hold a heavier bolt carrier group or Vault as you call it but will still use the 15 lower. It's intended for the wssm builds. The testing is done and it is working great. They also have a new recoil reduction system coming to market that I'm thinking about adding to the package.

If it don't allow me to push much extra for the .458 then I'll be building a wssm on it. Just not sure what caliber yet.

Kris

#832830 - 04/04/13 01:51 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: dcrzfitter]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

More parts!

...and 1,000 rounds of subsonic .22LR!

#832907 - 04/04/13 11:13 PM Re: Lets talk building projects in progress. [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Fish Ranger has a side charger. I haven't built one yet, but the only excess weight would be the handle itself, which would be offset somewhat by the lack of a case deflector, the cutout behind the ejection port, the lack of a ejection port cover and other accoutrements.

Some side chargers have charging handles, others don't.

Those charging handles replace one that I robbed from another build for my M4gery. Next build on tap would be a 5.45x39, if I can find a barrel and bolt.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 810 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |