Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83275 - 11/29/99 11:16 PM pink worm on drift gear
wit45cal Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup WA
Can you use the dreaded pink worm behind drift gear? (pencil lead weight and leader). I know the tips page advises pulling it behind a plug but I need to work on my drifting and the covered hook (texas rigged? in bass talk) seems to be an attractive idea for a drift rookie. As an aside, as mgt. at a CNC machine shop, I could make some really trick molds. Is the chemistry available to the general population for hand pouring worms, tubes perhaps jig bodies?

PS- sorry about the four letter word "b**s"

#83276 - 11/30/99 12:34 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
rhino Offline
Alevin

Loc: Bellingham WA USA
I fish pink worms a ton for catch and release on the skagit and sauk rivers. when I'm not pulling plugs I go straight for my "beeny wheeny"! I think that winter runs hit a pink worm harder than bait. Yes bottom bounce them! thats the only way I fish them.

------------------

#83277 - 11/30/99 12:36 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
potter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Pacific Beach, WA, USA
I have seen the pink worm catch steelhead on Cook creek (mass hatchery fish) rigged as a drift. I have also caught steelhead plunking the pink worm on the Quinault River.

#83278 - 11/30/99 12:40 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
BCsteel Offline
Alevin

pink worms as drift gear is an excellent producer of winter and summer steelies in BC. just as effective under a float to.

#83279 - 11/30/99 12:59 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I've had real good luck fishing the pink worm on a plain 1/4oz jighead below a float just as you would a jig. Works great!

#83280 - 11/30/99 01:00 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is a section for making custom soft plastic baits http://www.steelheader.net/bait/custom_soft_plastics.htm

To make the beanie weenie just use pink color and use either a injection mold or a tray mold. Tray molds make a flat sided worm.

#83281 - 11/30/99 01:58 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I have done well drifting the worm. I prefer the Yamaguchis beacuse they are thinner and provide more movement with its little curly tail. I fish them with the hot pink w/ charteuse spin n glows. I also know a couple people that swear by the Exudes fished with a large birdy. If you are going to fish faster water fish with a corky or winner or some sort of non-spinning bobber because in faster water a spinning bobber will twist and tangle your leader.
I fish both single and double hook setups. I prefer the double setup because I only have to put the first hook into the very front of the head and let the second hook dangle which allows for maximum movement but when fishing for wild fish I stick with a single because a trailer hook can severly damage a fish if the fish takes the front hook.
Ryan

#83282 - 11/30/99 02:07 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Again ... no comment ... that is meant as a hint!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#83283 - 11/30/99 08:58 PM Re: pink worm on drift gear
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Uh yea......I like to drift fish pinks worms, The takes are just like plug takes...no doubt about it. I use a lighter than I woud use with drift bobbers.....less snags and more natural presentation......
Hold on tight becaue they really hammer them HARD!!!!!!!!

#83284 - 11/30/99 09:07 PM Re: pink worm on drift gear
Buzz Offline
Alevin

Loc: LaCenter, Wa
3 words " Hold on tight!!"

#83285 - 12/01/99 12:51 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
At recent clinics, two guides suggested rigging plastic worms upside down. Hook tail end first, leaving a third or more dangling. Hook comes out by head. This creates a worm with an upside down "u" appearance. They claimed this rigging gave the best action under a float. Haven't tried it yet.

#83286 - 12/01/99 10:09 AM Re: pink worm on drift gear
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Many of the pink worms sink, so the use of a pink corky above it will keep it off the bottom and out of snags a little better when using drift gear. The new Exude worms float so this isn't a problem. I wouldn't bury the hook "Texas" style because you're not likely to get good hook penetration when setting. Steelhead have pretty tough mouths.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, DrifterWA), 1083 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645371 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |