Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#837477 - 05/05/13 11:08 AM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: steely slammer]
SpringCreek Offline
Eyed Egg

If your not in a hurry to get one, watch casa.com. They will run specials for 30% off your first order and free two day shipping. I purchased one in January for less than $50.

I have used this for a few months now and it is as good as described.

Jim

#837580 - 05/06/13 12:58 AM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: SpringCreek]
Dee Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
Darex makes the drill doctor as well. The $100 version wasn't that great when I used it some years ago, but the professional $1,000 version is excellent.

Nice to see Parker bought one, now I can borrow his tools for once.

#837851 - 05/08/13 10:12 AM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: ]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Popeye
I didn't know asian men had that much body hair !!

That wasn't an Asian man. Doc used an Italian woman for his experiment.

#838973 - 05/16/13 05:21 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: ]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

Just out of interest Doc - did you get your knife that sharp (as shown in the video) with just the red belt (200 grit) or did you progress through a few grits and finish with the honing purple belt? Just got mine and am wondering what people do in practice to get the razor sharp edge. The video shows going from 200 grit to the honing belt but that seems like a big jump to me.

#838984 - 05/16/13 06:02 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: SeaDNA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
i Used the "red grit belt" only........that by itself does a good job, I then switched to the scissor sharpner.....WOW, WOW, WOW....makes that job so easy and the scissors are sharp....

Edited by DrifterWA (05/16/13 06:03 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#838995 - 05/16/13 07:49 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: SeaDNA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: SeaDNA
Just out of interest Doc - did you get your knife that sharp (as shown in the video) with just the red belt (200 grit) or did you progress through a few grits and finish with the honing purple belt? Just got mine and am wondering what people do in practice to get the razor sharp edge. The video shows going from 200 grit to the honing belt but that seems like a big jump to me.

I used the red belt to re-establish a new base angle on the edge. The red one is quite capable of removing a considerable amount of metal.

Then it was onto the purple belt.... which after a dozen knives now looks grey and hardly feels like there's any abrasion left. But it's definitely still doing something.

Lovin' the well equipped working kitchen turned surgical suite.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#839019 - 05/16/13 11:55 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: eyeFISH]
neon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Talkeetna
Ya don't need much "grit" to polish that burr that the red belt creates. That's for sure! I too don't change purple belts until the belt actually fails. So far it has been working extraordinarily well for me tho.

#839302 - 05/18/13 02:29 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: neon]
talljeeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Thanks Doc for sharing this!

#839464 - 05/19/13 08:02 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: talljeeper]
goodtimesfishing Offline
Parr

Dang! I think this is something I NEED not want.....ya that's how I will explain it. Oh, and comes with free belts for just registering, better hurry before that offer ends.(that will get the ok faster)haha

#851209 - 08/07/13 01:01 AM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: goodtimesfishing]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I was swinging through Bimart today, saw one, and bought it. Took about 40 minutes and sharpened all of my old fillet knives, and kitchen knives, and hunting knives. Wow! Worth it in how scary sharp my knives are. Filleting 6 fish was a breeze with a cheap Rapala fillet knife, you know, the $3.00 ones you buy in a bucket. Amazing.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#851213 - 08/07/13 01:29 AM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: Dogfish]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Anybody get their free belts yet?

I did the mail in, and so far, nothing.

fp

P.S. I still have all my fingers.

#851265 - 08/07/13 12:49 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: ]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

I got mine right away..

mainly region 6

#851283 - 08/07/13 02:34 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: steely slammer]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Got one a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed with the results. Wife laughs (or groans) every time I grab one of the kitchen knifes that hasn't been sharpened yet and head out to the garage.

#851288 - 08/07/13 03:01 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Steelspanker
Does anyone know if it's true that if you wash a knife in the dishwasher that it will go dull faster than if washed by hand?

If true, why?

True, the wash cycle bangs the knives around other utensils.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#851295 - 08/07/13 03:11 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: steely slammer]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Ordered my belt kit today after registering the tool.

#851311 - 08/07/13 05:17 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
So nobody really answered the question........"IS the worksharp better than the chef's choice 120"??????????????????. I've had my chef's 120 for 12 years now and still love it. I sharpen my fillet knives & bait knives after each use so they are always sharp.Good luck,
SZ

#851313 - 08/07/13 05:27 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
is ther only one model of the worksharp?

#851316 - 08/07/13 05:36 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Don't know SZ. I've been using a diamond stone, until now.

#851318 - 08/07/13 05:49 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: Dogfish]
*Nate*
Unregistered

the problem with the one you guys are talking about, is that its basically a belt sander.... and removes a TON of material... yeah it will work great on the cheap 3 dollar Rapala knives like Andy said, and even 15 dollar Rapala, some Victor's and even Dexter's and other fillet knives...

but, i wouldnt be caught dead using them on my Cutco's, or Wusthofs or Henkels...

now i know most of you will probably just tell me im full of sh!t, but go ahead and look at your knives in 5 years after using them....

wont be much fun replacing 100 dollar fillet knives...

cheap knives, machetes, and the likes, the WSKTS is fine... expensive knives, chisels, plane irons, only way to go is stone stone stone... the rod kits work good as well, just alot more stuff to mess with, but they are still great and do a very fine job...

you also have to remember that belts flex, and you can get concave cupped edges even if you cant see it, its there... and thats bad, it reduces the integrity of the edge, makes it brittle, and wont last as long, then, you have to completely re edge it removing even more material, and repeat process till you have a nub for a blade after a few years...

the ceramic/stone disk grinder/sharpeners, can also remove a ton of material, but if you know how to use them, they work great, like the Chefs that was mentioned, and other really high end models, including the 300 dollar WS machine...

matter of fact, ill show you in a bit what happens when some dipwad gets ahold of your 90 dollar knive and uses a machine like that and doesnt know what the hell they are doing looks like....

#851321 - 08/07/13 06:26 PM Re: WorkSharp.... WOW! [Re: ]
*Nate*
Unregistered

heres a picture... the only way to fix this is A: leave it as it is, its still sharp, just looks like hell... or B: go from butt to tip, and remove all material to the low point in the dip, which will make the knife weaker, skinnier, and less effective than what it was designed as...

how did that happen? most would think its because the person let it sit in one spot for too long... not the case... its caused by uneven pressure when pulling it through the belt, and the fact that the belt flexes, and never gives a true 100% same pressure as you are sharpening your knives... there may even be smaller ones that you cant see, use a micro scope to check it out if you want... you may be suprised...

fillet knives also flex quite a bit too, which is a double edged sword using a belt system like the WSKTS, a rod system would be a much better option, but also much more time consuming... i will sacrifice an hour of my time, to make sure my knives are sharper than the next guys, and will last me 20 years longer... ive got Chicago Cutlery knives that are 40+ years old (back when they used High Carbon Steel), and they will out perform some of the more expensive knives on the market... and theres a reason for that wink

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1043 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |