Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#838365 - 05/12/13 01:48 PM Spare drift boat oar options
FKJ Offline
Parr

Loc: West Seattle
I'm wondering what you guys do about a spare drift boat oar. I use to carry a separate pair of much shorter and cheaper oars but had to return them and now need to solve the problem. I'm wondering if any of you know/use a collapsible spare though I probably would have to keep it assembled if I want to have any chance of grabbing it quickly in an emergency. So, a collapsible may not have any boat space value. Trying to keep cost down and don't want to buy a new single oar to match my used set. Thanks

Edited by FKJ (05/12/13 01:49 PM)

#838366 - 05/12/13 02:03 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: FKJ]
Ken I Offline
Parr

Loc: soaking-wet Grays Harbor
I took an old p.o.s. 8 1/2 ft. oar, and cut it in half. Then, I went down to cut rate auto and found a piece of exhaust pipe tip (chrome baby!) that would act as a sleeve that had a tight fit over the cut ends of the oar, the piece is about 12". drilled holes near the end of the chrome sleeve, and in both pieces of the oar, added correct size of wood screws and screw driver to my 'oh [Bleeeeep!]' tool kit and I'm good to go. Also, I have an older clacka with the fixed rowers seat, so I lashed the 2 piece oar underneath the rowers seat out of the way. Another vital component of my O.S.! tool kit is gorilla duct tape, that stuff is awesome! hope this helps,
Ken

#838368 - 05/12/13 02:12 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: FKJ]
SideDriftin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Try and find something used or pick up a new Carlisle (a bit cheaper). Not sure what your life is worth, but $100 - $200 investment to save your ass is priceless. 2cents

Don't buy a breakdown.

Edited by SideDriftin' (05/12/13 02:15 PM)

#838370 - 05/12/13 02:26 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: SideDriftin']
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I probably have a old oar or two out in the shop if ya want one. Never take a 2 piece oar and think if you did break an oar it would be any good. I have broken several and never in a spot that I needed my spare in a few minutes. I needed it "NOW".

fp

#838371 - 05/12/13 02:29 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: SideDriftin']
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
Don't be cheap on a spare and while getting a spare oar get an extra oar lock and pins. Sh¡t happens in seconds even on flat mellow water .the river takes lives and isn't picky on who and I bet the majority of them are the unprepared or have Wal-Mart gear.

Edited by Rag N Steel (05/12/13 02:31 PM)

www.badcatboats.com

#838382 - 05/12/13 04:52 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: Rag N Steel]
fishnbear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: A coastal river with fish
Don't cut oars, your idea sounds great, but I don't think it would hold up to my big ass, pullin hard on that oar done that way, I think the strength of that oar has been lost by cutting it. I would suggest against it... my thoughts

#838384 - 05/12/13 05:01 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: fishnbear]
Bent Rod Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish
Ken, If you need that oar in a hurry you are going to be in big trouble having it broke down and lashed under the seat...not to mention the time to screw it together...Have it together and ready to go....

#838439 - 05/13/13 01:33 AM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: Bent Rod]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
A "old, whole oar, is far better than a new 2 piece oar".....as many of you know I live close to the Wynoochee River.....many Saturdays and Sundays, I'd be at the Blk. Ck. boat launch to see how the fishing was.....I saw LOT's of driftboats....I really don't remember seeing anything but 1 piece "extra oar".........forget a 2 piece oar!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#838451 - 05/13/13 09:43 AM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: DrifterWA]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
2 piece Cataract snaps together faster than you can put one in the oarlocks. Mine fits nicely under my seat (not lashed) within easy reach. You can always put it together before you start down the Green R. gorge too if you're at all concerned. wink
Good idea on the spare oarlocks, BTW.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#838454 - 05/13/13 10:42 AM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: Mooch]
FKJ Offline
Parr

Thanks all for the input. This cheap bastard is realizing I need to man up and spend some money.

FP-thank you for the offer but due to the distance between us and the MPG of my truck I probably need to solve this problem closer to home.

Mooch-The only 2 piece Cataract I can find is the Mini Magnum which seems a bit short. Is that what you're running with? I do see Carlisle does make a full size two piece. Also, do you guys know if Cataract and Carlisle blades are interchangeable?

#838491 - 05/13/13 03:06 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: FKJ]
FKJ Offline
Parr

Got a pair of 15' Carlisle Craigslist specials and cut one down.

Oars $50 not having to man up and spend money, priceless!

#838495 - 05/13/13 03:37 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: FKJ]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
2pc cataracts "mini mags" broke one they are carp go with the sgg s

www.badcatboats.com

#838612 - 05/14/13 01:23 PM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: Rag N Steel]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
FKJ,

My breakdown oar is a full size SSG oar. It fits perfectly under the seat with standard Magnum interchangeable blade on. I believe I picked mine up from Lavro in Monroe.

Shaft lock

Blade lock

Although I prefer my Sawyer SquareTops over my Cataracts as primary oars, I use the breakdown Cat as my spare. It's really just a personal preference thing, the Cats are a fine oar and there is nothing wimpy or inferior about the breakdown either.

As far as quality oars go, I've never understood why so many "oarsmen" would spend so much money on rods and reels and then cheap out on their oars. I have to think it's because they've never tried something better and don't realize how much of a difference they make.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#838771 - 05/15/13 09:46 AM Re: Spare drift boat oar options [Re: Mooch]
FKJ Offline
Parr

Thank you for the pictures and lead on where to find. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Fortunately, I now have the immediate spare issue solved for this weekend and have time to find a breakdown spare. Thanks again.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1090 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |