THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#839071 - 05/17/13 11:09 AM Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast?
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
just got my first center pin set up together and have been practicing out in the yard with my dog. She helps me retrieve the float. Haha. I watched all the YouTube videos I could find and have been practicing the "short cast" and the "modified wallis" cast.

My question is, can you achieve greater distance with the original wallis over the modified wallis? It seems to me that with the original wallis the rod tip gets loaded a bit more than the modified wallis. After a couple hours in the yard yesterday I'm happy with accuracy and distance so far with the modified wallis cast though.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#839089 - 05/17/13 12:31 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: steeliedrew]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Still getting my feet wet with this technique myself, so I can only offer you words of encouragement, but, STICK WITH IT! After you land that first fish it is all so very worth it. Good luck out there to you.

Tyler

#839097 - 05/17/13 01:24 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
For God's sake...just don't EVER side cast.

Otherwise, whatever works best for you.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#839104 - 05/17/13 01:41 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: Todd]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

haven't side casted yet Todd, and don't intend to. smile everything I've read has told me to start by learning the wallis cast and there will never be a reason to side cast. I'm not keen on line twist so Fvck the side cast. Haha.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#839119 - 05/17/13 02:55 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: steeliedrew]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

DFon't forget about BC casting. I wish that I could find a better example. But I prefer using it when casting heavier gear.

Bill McMillan

#839128 - 05/17/13 03:39 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: steeliedrew]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
I agree with Todd, side casting should be a cast of last resort, especially here in the NW where it's generally not needed to make an adequate centerpin cast. The reason its taught is because its one of the easiest to learn and like a spinning reel it's quite effective when casting off the rod tip or when using light floats. Side casting doesn't require as much casting control (like a baitcaster) but also doesn't provide as much accuracy or line control either. Not to mention it causes line twist, which should be avoided whenever possible. But whether you use it or not, you should still have it in your bag of tricks.

The Modified Wallis cast is actually more of a "across the body pull cast". The benefit of either type of Wallis cast is that they come directly off the reel without twist. However you can also "open" your Wallis cast (by changing orientation of reel) during the cast to get additional distance if needed, but this does introduce some line twist too. Another trick to increase distance with a Modified Wallis is to introduce a double haul into the cast where a short pull before loading the rod with the second pull gets reel accelerating even faster.

These types of casts are the most commonly discussed or demonstrated centerpin casts, mainly because they are promoted in the GL are where they use much smaller floats and lighter gear. A centerpin cast you don't hear much about on the web or out of the GL area is the BC or swing cast, which actually works better for our waters because of the rods and terminal tackle we typically employ. It's a very simple cast that offers distance rivaling the side cast with zero line twist. It also offers line control equal to the Wallis cast and is far more accurate than either. It does require a bit more room than either the Wallis or the Side cast to properly load the rod, but that's generally not a problem especially when fishing from a boat or a bar.

Before float fishing moved out to the GL with our Skamania steel, the BC cast was the method steelheaders used out here for years. Now that joys of center pin fishing are being discovered out here, we are having to rediscover our roots and the techniques that work best here as well. It's unfortunate for those in the NW that are wanting to learn centerpin casting that there aren't more resources, like videos, that are tailored or directed to our area, such as the BC ("swing" or "across the body") cast. FWIW, here's my feeble attempt to show a comparison of the Wallis and the BC cast side by side. Hopefully others will contribute better resources for our area as this highly effective technique gains resurgence in the NW.

For those wanting to get started with a centerpin, casting can definitely take some getting used to coming from a baitcaster or spinning reel. But with a littel practice you can easily become proficient in a fairly short time. Whether you use every type of cast or not, it's still best to learn as many as you can because each have their particular advantages and disadvantages. You can also use combinations too. For some folks the learning curve is short, some longer, but once it becomes second nature it sure is a lot of fun.

Enjoy!
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#839129 - 05/17/13 03:41 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: Mooch]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Oops, sorry there Sky. smile
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#839130 - 05/17/13 03:41 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

I watched that video and did practice that a few times but timing seems to be tough on that one. I'm better at the "short cast" than the BC. and so far I'm better at the modified wallis than I am at the short cast. still playing around with my grip and what finger works best for breaking the reel. can't wait to put it all together on some ultra aggressive summer runs!

#839132 - 05/17/13 03:47 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: steeliedrew]
jomat Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: NY
It helps to start with a heavier float/weight and then work your way lighter as you get better. Key is the timing between the rod loading and getting your reel spinning. Good luck

#839133 - 05/17/13 04:01 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: jomat]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

I was playing around with timing yesterday and found that if I start the reel up just slightly into my forward swing on the cast I get good distance.

#839137 - 05/17/13 04:11 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: steeliedrew]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
I was playing around with timing yesterday and found that if I start the reel up just slightly into my forward swing on the cast I get good distance.

I get mine going just at the end of the backswing by just taking my pinkie off the spool and lettin' 'er rip.

It's hard at first...but the learning curve is fast. Practice with both hands, in both directions...you'll need it. You'll also be able to do it over your head once you get your timing down. Too soon or too slow on a regular cast will mess up your aim...too soon or too slow on an overhead cast will drive it into the water in front of you, or throw it up in the air, both of which will result in spectacular backlashes!

I'll be fishing with it some of the time on June 1 if you're out there, Drew...keep an eye out for us.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#839139 - 05/17/13 04:17 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: Todd]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

They are not of the best quality. But there are a few video links at the bottom of this page.

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/centerpin/articles/bc-cast/

Edited by SkykomishSunrise (05/17/13 04:18 PM)

Bill McMillan

#839142 - 05/17/13 04:37 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Todd,

I'll be up there all weekend on the opener. Luis knows where I'll be. The spoon rod will come out to play as well. It always does. wink

#839152 - 05/17/13 05:15 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: steeliedrew]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
Bc cast only for me never found a place where I couldn't use it and the distances is unreal. And I found out that I can rocket the float with my new islander.......summer runs and pins..........Ohh God yeah!

www.badcatboats.com

#839154 - 05/17/13 05:22 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: Rag N Steel]
kwikfiks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Poundtown
Drew, it all becomes so perfectly clear once out on the water....

#839160 - 05/17/13 06:21 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: kwikfiks]
Ale Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

God it feels good to be Kangster.

#839178 - 05/17/13 07:41 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: Ale]
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

Does the BC cast just us the weight of your rig to start the rotation of the pin? Looks easy in the video but I know how that is! laugh

I have been getting very good distance and decent accuracy with the modified wallis cast. Not sure that I will ever have to cast any further but who knows. Just finished fishing the South Santiam, pretty water and lots of casting. No catching unfortunately.

#839182 - 05/17/13 08:13 PM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
Ale Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
Yup. Same concept as using a bait caster.

God it feels good to be Kangster.

#839241 - 05/18/13 01:39 AM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: Ale]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Drew,

Definitely take Todd up on his offer. Like two-handed or spey casting, nothing beats getting a bit of hands on casting instruction when it comes the center pin. Showing and doing really trumps trying to explain it. For many years I had to learn on my own, which of course caused me a number of bad habits along the way. Until you hook up with him or another mentor, I put up a short demo video just for you. smile In spite of all the faults and low production value, I hope it helps you visualize the timing and tempo of the BC cast while you continue to practice your Wallis cast too.
BTW, if anyone can do better please post it up, there ain't much out there. wink

#839247 - 05/18/13 02:21 AM Re: Modified wallis cast vs. wallis cast? [Re: Mooch]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

That's awesome. I searched for a while the other day trying to find a good BC cast video and couldn't find one. Thanks A LOT for taking the time to put that together. That really helps me visualize it.

How much weight were you using to get that distance? It looked absolutely effortless and smooth.

I'm game to learn from any of you guys who'd be willing to spend a day on the water with the pin rods. Mooch and or Todd, Pick a float and I'll row.

Thanks again Mooch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, steely slammer), 1056 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |