THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#843804 - 06/14/13 09:29 AM Lets talk diver and bait.
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
I haven't ever put much time into fishing diver and bait but I'd like to start getting dialed in on it. So, I've got some questions for you diver and bait gurus.

1.) At what point does a Jet diver become the better choice over the Hot n tot style divers? Obviously depth can play a role in diver choice but I'd assume the small size 10' jet diver could do the same work as the regular size hot n tot diver depending on flow, line angle, and line diameter.

2.) Does the action of the diver enforce your choice on which to run? Maybe in more dirty water the erratic action of a hot n tot is the way to go versus the jet diver?

Now lets talk leaders and droppers...

1.) When would you and when would you not set your diver on a sliding dropper rig?

2.) Say I'd like to fish diver and bait for summer runs...what lb test for leader, and how long should it be? I've heard 5'-6'. Also, would a 1/0 or 2/0 be good with like a size 6 stinger hung back?

3.) Say I'm going to fish diver and bait for kings. What's the prefered leader and hook set up for that?

That's all the questions I have for now. I figured this could be a good topic to have on here. Any info would be great. I'd love to learn this.

Thanks,

Drew

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#843811 - 06/14/13 10:22 AM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Good point there 2many. We're talking hatchery fish with this.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#843819 - 06/14/13 12:06 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: steeliedrew]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
I may not be as dialed as some others here with more experience, but so far what has worked for me is:

Hot 'n Tots in regular or Mag. I like black.
Brads version of the above. Black again.
Mudbugs in black of course.
Jet divers in black as well.

Your best options.
The Hot'n Tots are best suited for shallower water.
Deeper holes your better off with the Mudbug or Jet Diver.
Wiggle warts are best used as a plug, IMO.

-As for the debate on using them when nates around, I'd personally concern myself over water temp. more then technique, but that is just me.

#843823 - 06/14/13 12:35 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: steeliedrew]
plumb2fish Offline
Fry

Loc: 20 sq miles surrounded by real...
I always run my divers on a slider, the style/size is going to depend on the amnt of current. I like mud bugs vs hot n tots, jets work well with lees current.
For kings, I put my diver on a 6" dropper, run a 5-6' leader 3 beads and a spin glo the same color as my beads...usually a 2/0 or 3/0 hook and a cocktail....6' deep or less=mud bug.... 6' or more= jet
If your dropper is heavier than your leader, you will very rarely lose a diver.....when/if you hang up...free spool and the diver will float to the surface allowing you to get it back and usually keep all your gear.

Edited by plumb2fish (06/14/13 12:42 PM)

#843854 - 06/14/13 03:18 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Jet diver's=Salmon fishing.Deeper.6-15'
Hot-n-tots=Steelhead fishing.More action. 3-8'
Good luck,
SZ

Like said above "No divers for native steelhead's"

#843864 - 06/14/13 04:02 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: ]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: 2MANY

NEVER fish diver and bait on rivers with a run of Wild fish.

The fish choke the bait down too far and releasing them dead ain't a good thing.

Serious question as I don't know any better, but do you find THAT big of difference as say side drifting with bait? Sorry to get off topic I just don't understand the difference myself. Thanks for your time.

#843866 - 06/14/13 04:31 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: Paul Smenis]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

I've never really had a steelhead completely sh!t hole a side drifted bait. Maybe with the different presentation they hit it differently. I could see that it would be easy for them to inhale a bait behind a diver though. they have much more time to think about it.

#843872 - 06/14/13 04:38 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: steeliedrew]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Maybe the hook size and how many points one is using should also be taken into account?

When we use diver and bait its with a single red Owner Cutting Point in 3/0 with no barb. (personal preference)

When I see someone side drifting they are usually using what appears to be two #2 hooks, making me think smaller hooks means they will get eaten deeper...that is where my question stems from.

Edited by Yak-Fresh (06/14/13 04:38 PM)

#843875 - 06/14/13 04:55 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
Jet diver's=Salmon fishing.Deeper.6-15'
Hot-n-tots=Steelhead fishing.More action. 3-8'
Good luck,
SZ

Like said above "No divers for native steelhead's"

This ^^^

Although I like Mud Bug better than Hot-N-Tot.
Hot-N-Tot is a searcher, moving back and forth a bit which translates to an unsteady motion at the rod tip.

Mud Bug is a straight, reliable runner which produces a steady drum beat at the rod tip.

Do not like jets at all.
Would rather back bounce for sammins.
Also they give poor feed back at the rod tip.
Whereas with a Mud Bug, I know immediately when it's fouled.

Generally would use live sand shrimp with "two hooks tied solid".
The lower hook would be one size larger than the upper....(you feed them head first).
Size your hooks according to the size of your sand shrimp.
The larger, lower hook goes in under the "rib cage" and out his mouth.
The smaller, upper hook goes in under the "belly segments" and finishes so that the eye of the hook is flush or slightly above the "flippers".
Use the egg loop on the upper hook to gather the flippers.

Stack 3-ish very small beads (clearance for spinning bobbers) and then the drift bobber of your choice above.
I would use a small Spin-N-Glow.

This rig acts like a float rig when being deployed.
Don't take your eyes off the plug as it floats down into position.

A sand shrimp rigged this way is fairly durable.

#843889 - 06/14/13 06:09 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: Paul Smenis]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: Yak-Fresh
Maybe the hook size and how many points one is using should also be taken into account?

When we use diver and bait its with a single red Owner Cutting Point in 3/0 with no barb. (personal preference)

When I see someone side drifting they are usually using what appears to be two #2 hooks, making me think smaller hooks means they will get eaten deeper...that is where my question stems from.

Yak-Fresh,

Usually I go even smaller on the hooks when side drifting. Dual size 4's. Even with the small hooks I tend to not hook them deep.

Thanks everyone for the diver and bait input. hoping to put it all together soon.

#843912 - 06/14/13 10:30 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

The fish choke the bait down too far and releasing them dead ain't a good thing.

That's such a myth.......

I've caught hundreds of steelhead on diver and bait and you could count on 1 hand how many have swallowed it.

The trick is a single 3/0 or4/0 owner cutting point.......

Keith

#843913 - 06/14/13 10:34 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Yak-Fresh

Serious question as I don't know any better, but do you find THAT big of difference as say side drifting with bait? Sorry to get off topic I just don't understand the difference myself. Thanks for your time.

Yes. Nothing but line disappearing down the throat sometimes. Lots of them hooked so all you can see is the hook eye.
Wild fish are even more aggressive. Ever heard the term, "Do you swallow?"..........................They do!

Honestly, you catch more fish that swallow it side drifting than you do back trolling....

Two reasons... Smaller hooks for side drifting (smaller offerings) and and free flowing presentation. A steelhead grabs and engulfs a bait as it's free flowing by them, not all swallow it but a much higher percentage do. Whereas with the bait trailer they usually grab and turn with it before swallowing hence corner of the mouth upwards of 80% of the time....

#843918 - 06/14/13 11:31 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: ]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Drew,

I am also just dipping into the diver deal... I've had more confidence in a teeny spin glo & sand shrimp than any combo with eggs (for steelhead that is). I've had mixed success with divers/eggs for salmon, the places I thought they would work trememdous (like the Hump) I've had a few bumps. Places that I thought diver/eggs were a maybe (like the Icicle) I've done very well.

#843919 - 06/14/13 11:33 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: Moravec]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Wild Steelhead? Yeah, if it's mid-February and I'm on the Coast (I mean come on, where else would someone from Seattle fish? Wink wink), I wouldn't be using bait divers, but if it's peak hatchery season, screw it... I'm using divers.

#843920 - 06/14/13 11:34 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: ]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
2many is spot on...you want to KILL fish? Diver and bait um...All the fish I caught today where deep throats.. As are most

#843938 - 06/15/13 01:03 AM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: ]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Remember last year Drew? Your bait don't catch SH!T....

Especially when presented by you... you got schooled son!

#843941 - 06/15/13 01:18 AM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: Bantam]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

hahaha. welp, in my defense I was fishing on the bow so the fish were hitting the other two baits before mine was even in the picture. and for the record. My baits did catch fish that day. Remember you started using my eggs and hooking fish? Bahahahaha. Plus I got that one on yarnie and shrimp by the radio hole. so nanner, nanner. Suck it brown boy.

#843944 - 06/15/13 01:42 AM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: Mystical Legends]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Mystical Legends
2many is spot on...you want to KILL fish? Diver and bait um...All the fish I caught today where deep throats.. As are most

What bait are you talking about and using....

I'm telling ya, from experience believe it or not... thumbs

Size 4/0 owner cutting point, sandshrimp and spinglo and you rarely hook them deep.

If your talking about summer steelhead or springers in 50+ degree water, yeah they're a bit more active and more likely to be "feeding"... Water temp plays a huge role in how a fish ingests it's offering...

But with winter natives which I assumed drew was asking about, they're a pretty lethargic fish...

Just sayin.

Keith

#843959 - 06/15/13 10:44 AM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: Mystical Legends]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall

What do you know?

2many IS right, but that wont get ya too far on this board.

#844012 - 06/15/13 07:25 PM Re: Lets talk diver and bait. [Re: Dave Vedder]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

What do you know?

Dammmmmit! I forget?

As far as running diver and baits for salmon or steel, when I do this I have one thing on my mind...killin fish.

In the Fall I use mostly Jet divers in sizes 10 and 20 but will go bigger if the water dictates..most area's I fish are relatively shallow so no need to go above a 20. I run these on a mainline slider and run about a 6ft leader to my bait which most of the time is on 40 pound leaders to a team of 3/0-4/0 hooks.

Most diver Steelhead fishing I do is with Brads divers either the Standards or Mags..leaders vary in length but four or five foot works on whatever pound test you like. My hooks sizes are matched to the size bait I'm using..1/0 seems to be good.

One thing to keep in mind to help ya get more fish...don't have a low holer in the boat..keep all the line the same distance out...team work pays big in diver fishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 360 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |