Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84407 - 01/08/00 12:07 AM reiter ponds steelhead
oscar Offline
Fry

some of you may be aware that the funding for reiter ponds has been in jeopardy for quite some time now. i attended a meeting in snohomish this morning with 2 wdfw reps,rep hans dunshee, and the aide to rep koster. the govenor has included funding for reiter in his supplemental budget which the legislature will start addressing on monday(01/10). unfortunately the budget only calls for about 90k(40k below waht is needed per year). if you fish any system planted w/reiter summer runs it is imperative you contact your representatives and urge them to allocate the full 270k required to fund reiter foe the entire biennium. this will cover the 130k wdfw has taken from the wildlife fund to operate reiter this year and fund it for 2001 as well. if we lose reiter summer run fishing as we know it will cease to exist and we will never get it back. there was also talk from us sportsmen that the dept should bring the steelhead permit back with wording that the money from them would be dedicated to steelhead hatcheries and not go into the general fund. any thoughts and feelings?

#84408 - 01/08/00 12:53 AM Re: reiter ponds steelhead
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
I think it would be great if the monies from a steelhead permit went back into the steelhead fisheries and not the general fund. If you could post or email contact numbers, I would appreciate it.--mike

#84409 - 01/08/00 08:11 AM Re: reiter ponds steelhead
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think we should start returning the steelhead like the cowlitz.i once checked into this and they said it takes more money to release the fish than to kill them.how much more does it take to lift the gate and let the fish out.zero.once they spanwn the fish they go to the food bank or the mission and sometimes the food bank doesn't even take them. where do they go garbage.that rite there would cut back on funds and still let us have our fish in the future. we should talk to bob drewll of sno county and see if can get future funding.i have a prviot meeting with sno county this coming week on some other steam projects i'll see if i can make some waves on this matter.

#84410 - 01/08/00 05:41 PM Re: reiter ponds steelhead
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Isn't it funny how years ago Gov. Gardner made a deal whereby if he got to choose the WDFW director, the dept would have "steady, reliable funding" from the general fund. That funding philosophy still exists today even though the director is now voted by the commission(people). Really paid off didn't it? The money is there-it's all (and always will be) political and politics will always dictate what the dept. gets and doesn't get.

I've argued and bitched about adequate funding for years to no effect. There are SO-O-O-O-O many options to raise dollars for hatcheries and broodstock programs. Steelhead tags, $1.00 tax each time you buy fishing gear, lotteries, raffles....it's all been proposed to the commission, gov., legislature but that doesn't seem to be what they want.

There is a hidden agenda when OUR commission, dept, gov. and legislature has no ingenuity or desire to pursue innovative funding options-it's not hard!

Maybe it all comes back to sportfishers inability to unite as one voice statewide to get what we want?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Excitable Bob), 390 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |