Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84531 - 01/11/00 03:05 AM nymphing verses swinging the fly
joe Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
I have spent the last couple of weeks fishing the penninsula with a buddy who is a trout guide on the Green river in utah. He consistantly out fished me nymphing glo-bugs under an indicator. Everything I have ever seen about flyfishing for steelhead was the downstream swing. I have caught a lot of fish doing this, but he schooled me with his trout fishing tecniques. Anyone have experience with this?

#84532 - 01/11/00 03:57 AM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
I fly fish in the summer and in late spring sometimes. Nymphing is a pretty good technique for those slower holes and deep slots. It seems this is a better method for hatchery fish, cause they don't seem to chase a fly like the nates. You have to get the fly down to them with a slower presentation. Swinging seems to work well for the nates, as does nymphing, Nates seem to chase flies more in the colder water, than hatchery fish. This is just what I have found from my fishing experiences. But In the summer, when the water is warmer, Hatchery steelhead will chase a fly, and swinging works well.
--good luck
--Mike Korenko

#84533 - 01/11/00 03:30 PM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Nymphing can be an effective method, but there is something about the swing and "grab" that leaves you weak in the knees.

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 01-11-2000).]

#84534 - 01/11/00 05:08 PM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
Steve Offline
Alevin

Loc: Longview,wa,usa
I use nymphing quite a bit especially for sea run cutts in the fall. I think it works better when the fish are lethargic and you can drift the fly right in front of them. That way them having to move for it doesn't cross there minds when they think about eating it.

#84535 - 01/11/00 05:38 PM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
I'm with you Rich. There's nothing like the grab on the swing. Weak in the knees is right! I've taken several unwanted baths because my leg-to-brain connection has failed.

#84536 - 01/11/00 07:04 PM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
Lazy Drifter Offline
Fry

Loc: Darrington, WA
There really is nothing better than the traditional swing. However, a weighted fly under a indicator will fish water that is almost impossible to approach any other way.Always cracks me up to hear the term "indicator" when it applies to heavy weighted flies and a dink float. We used to call that "bobber fishing".Don't get me wrong. I do break out the jig flies occasionally.(don't tell Russ Miller

#84537 - 01/12/00 03:56 AM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joe
Glad you could put your friend on fish. Talked to a couple of friends who saw you guys fishing (they are still shaking there heads). I have not fished this method, but can easily see how it could have its advantages over swing fishing. Especially in the winter when a slow presentation is important. I also think he can cover more water using this technique. Is it time to switch your spey swing presentation to spey nymphing? Are the glowbugs underwrapped with lead or is the split shot on there? Can't beat them join them.
Tight lines

------------------
Marty
www.steelheader.net
marty@steelheader.net

#84538 - 01/12/00 02:40 PM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
Misty Offline
Smolt

Loc: Poulsbo, WA, USA
It's all in the presentation. As with anything. As long as your are nymphing properly you will catch fish. My buddy and I have been using this technique on the penisula this winter. So far we have had good success doing this.

#84539 - 01/12/00 06:26 PM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
joe Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
When trout fishing we often use a two nymph rig, Is this legal steelheading outside special regs areas?

#84540 - 01/13/00 02:19 AM Re: nymphing verses swinging the fly
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know the plunkers use a double setup all the time. Not sure though

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (I'm Still RichG, Excitable Bob), 547 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |