LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84546 - 01/09/00 09:36 PM FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
Fish Offline
Parr

Loc: Orting, Wa.
Hey Guys & Gals
Just looking for a little advice on the drag systems for spinning reels, I'm looking at a couple of Shimano's the Symetre and the Sahara in the 2000 & 4000 size, the Sahara also has 6.2:1 gear ratio in both models but the Symetre only has 6.2:1 in the 4000 model? Thanks for your help Fish.

#84547 - 01/09/00 11:52 PM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Front drag, it lasts longer.

#84548 - 01/10/00 02:20 AM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
I like the rear drags, cause they are easy to get to, when fighting a fish. When a little more or a little less is necessary.

#84549 - 01/10/00 02:55 AM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
AkBill Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Front drag. Set it a hair light and you can put pressure on the spool with your fingers/palm.

#84550 - 01/10/00 07:10 AM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
fish,
You are`nt by chance feeding on my ignorance are ya`?..*L* Thanks for asking questions I wouldn`t know any better too..heh-heh..
BTW, I`d right now have to say front, it`s all the better I know,,so far..

#84551 - 01/10/00 12:16 PM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
EastCoast Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett,WA
Front drags perform better. The larger washer size dissipates the heat on those long runs. The larger washer size also means it will be smoother. The location on top of the reel means the tension is more dirrect and not transferd down the shaft. If you set your drad a little light and apply pressure with your finger during the fight don't forget to grab the spool when setting the hook!

#84552 - 01/10/00 01:20 PM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
Keith Jackson Offline
Alevin

Loc: Port Townsend, WA, Jefferson
Here's another option-- Abu Garcia has introduced a new center drag reel system. One is built in Sweden and costs a lot; it's the Suveran. It's heavy being all metal, but it is great. They just introduced a lighter model, the Center Drag, that I was fortunate enough to test on chinook in the Elk River in SW Oregon.
I don't think I would have a spinning reel without a center drag system if I was fishing for big, hard-running fish. Not only are the drag washers two to four times larger than those on front-drag reels (and a whole lot larger than those on rear drag reels), they are easy to get to if you want to adjust the drag while playing a fish.
On this trip, we landed chinook up to 30 lbs on the reels with no problems.
I've also used the Suveran and turned a seal which grabbed my rockfish. The seal ran about 100 yards before stopping, and the drag had no faults or chatters. It equalled the drag on the best baitcasters.
If you're stuck on Shimano, that's one thing, they are good reels, but I would certainly look at the Center Drags before I buy.

#84553 - 01/10/00 02:06 PM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Although rear drags are easier to reach, front drags are consistently smoother. I've had the Shimano Spirex 2000 in both front and rear drags, and there's definitely a difference; the front drag reel is much smoother.

I also prefer the 2000 to the 4000 size, but I run thin diameter 8 and 10 lb line on the smaller reel (12 lb is not recommended). It holds between 100-110 yards; plenty enough for fishing, but if you break a significant chunk, you definitely don't want to hook a runner. The 4000 holds way more line than is necessary and is a lot heavier than most steelhead spinning and casting reels. Shimano could use a '3000' series, but until one comes along, I'm satisfied with the 2000.

You may also want to include the Spirex in your choices. I like the paddle reel handle for easy reeling, especially after first setting the hook when I'm groping for the handle. The Spirex also has a roller bearing in the line guide, making the drag even smoother. The Symetre has a bushing thats not nearly as smooth (I'm not familiar with the Sahara). Good Luck

#84554 - 01/11/00 09:00 PM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
Fish Offline
Parr

Thanks to everyone that replied,it helped me out alot. I did a little more research as suggested. The center drag sounds okay but its heavier than the others, and only has a 5.2:1 gear ratio? The Shimano Sahara has a front drag, 6.2:1 gear ratio, and 3 ball bearings + 1 ball bearing instead of a roller bearing, as in the Spirex, also it has super stopper II positive stop without that little back spin like the Spirex has when you try to set the hook? I have the Spirex 2000rb and 4000rb.
Thanks again Fish.

#84555 - 01/12/00 11:02 PM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
Fish Offline
Parr

OOPS?
Sorry had the wrong info on that Shimano Sahara, I left the old computer and went down to the local tackle store today and found out the +1 ball bearing is the one with anti reverse for the super stopper II, not the line roller, but this reel also comes with a free spare aluminum spool not the graphite one like the others. I also tried out that Abu Garcia center drag reel, it was the 6 bb model and it wasn't as free and smooth as the Sahara but the drag system is twice as big?
See Ya Fish.

#84556 - 01/13/00 12:44 PM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
Keith Jackson Offline
Alevin

Loc: Port Townsend, WA, Jefferson
Fish--

Can't answer for the stickiness of the Suveran reel... I'm surprised though. I have a couple of the smaller models that are very good; the best drag I've used on a spinning reel since the days of the Daiwa SS series. Since I haven't fished with the Shimanos, I can't compare them.

What I do like with the center drag reel is the fact that the drag is right under your finger tips. You don't have to do contortions to change your drag setting. If you give me your e-mail address, I can forward a jpg file that shows the differences in drag washers... if I can find it.

Another point, on a trip the party I was with caught 5 chinook in the 28-30 lb. size range on the Abu Center Drag. At no point did we have problems with the drag sticking or chattering.

#84557 - 01/13/00 02:26 PM Re: FRONT OR REAR DRAG ON SPINNING REELS?
Fish Offline
Parr

Hey Keith
My E-Mail address is on the profile of this board. There's no doubt about it the drag was way bigger, the guy behind the counter was also very fond of it also?
See Ya Fish.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |