Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84595 - 01/13/00 12:44 AM Great News...Well Kinda
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Woohoo the state has sorta kinda woken up, if you can call it that. Begining Sunday all Wild Steelhead must be realesead in the Snohomish and Stilliguamish systems because harvestable numbers of wild steelhead are expected to be taken by that time. Its kinda sad to realize that that many natives have been bonked on the head but it can also be looked at as goodnews because never have I seen them close it to wild steelhead take because substaintiable (sp?) have already been caught, its usually because there are not enough expected to return. Could this be another banner year for wild winter fish?? It looks like it might be ...damn school and work take up all my fishing time .
For more info see the website of the evil people...www.wa.gov/wdfw
Tight Lines
Ryan S. Petzold

#84596 - 01/13/00 11:45 AM Re: Great News...Well Kinda
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I haven't looked at the WDFW release, but I'm wondering if your interpretation is a little optimistic. To me it sounds like so few nates have shown up that WDFW is worried about getting escapement, so is shutting it down early. Their decision may also be influenced by the rather late and lackluster showing of hatchery fish on both watersheds. WDFW figures that whatever affected the hatchery fish in the ocean will also have an affect on the natives so is being cautious.

Anybody see this any other way?

#84597 - 01/13/00 12:14 PM Re: Great News...Well Kinda
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
obsessed,
Nope, I`m with you.

#84598 - 01/13/00 12:34 PM Re: Great News...Well Kinda
oscar Offline
Fry

i agree totally. i fish the snohomish system and haven't seen or heard of all that many fish being taken. the numbers have are slowly picking up but not what it should be. and from what i have heard the bulk of the fish are hatchery with the occassional wild fish mixed in. i read the article in the herald today. real curios as to how the wdfw knows that the 800 natives for the snohomish have been caught. the fish checker can't be everywhere. i think the numbers are low as they have been for the last couple years.

#84599 - 01/13/00 03:04 PM Re: Great News...Well Kinda
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
From memory, when there are low returns of Nates they usually say so and that they are closing it to protect the few natives returnig but this time they said that and this a quote from the website "The release requirement is being imposed because the harvestable number of wild-run steelhead is expected to be taken in those river systems by Jan. 15." I just interpreted that it meant their pre-set numbers on harvetable natives has been reached already.
Maybe I am wrong...that would be a first though!! j/k
Tight Lines
Ryan

#84600 - 01/13/00 04:36 PM Re: Great News...Well Kinda
HillbillyRedneck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Darrington, WA
I just read the Wayne Kruse section of the Herald. My favorite part is the state biologist saying:

If you're interested in boating and keeping one of these larger fish, however, you'd best get right on it. Kraemer says wild-steelhead release goes into effect Sunday on the Snohomish (including the Skykomish, Snoqualmie and all tributaries) and Stillaguamish river systems.
"You can whack 'em Saturday, but not Sunday," Kraemer says.
In other words get on out there and kill as many many wild fish as you can.The state sure wouldn't want to promote any C&R with the over-abundance of wild fish in the system.

#84601 - 01/13/00 10:56 PM Re: Great News...Well Kinda
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

What's interesting is the tribe is still scheduled to net Sunday through Wednesday unless somethings changed there too which I doubt.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, eddie, 1 invisible), 1266 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |