Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84790 - 01/15/00 02:49 PM jig head/pink worm
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: ridgefield WA 98642
I am a new join to the jig head pink worm mania. I recently saw a post on this board about attaching pink worms to jig heads. I tried it, however I was wondering about presentation with a float. My question is: How close to the bottom do you want the jig/worm. I tried to change the depth to where it occasionally taps (float). Once you see that is is touching bottom (float tapping) should you decrease the depth and take it off the bottom more (if so how much).

...Man those pink worms remind me of my tackle box when I was a kid, all melted to the trays.

#84791 - 01/15/00 06:05 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I tend to fish the worms slightly deeper than jigs. Tapping the bottom occasionally works well, but if you can run them 6" to a foot off the bottom you'll get alot less snags. the worms need to be kept in a plastic bag if your going to have them in a tackle box, they react with the plastic of the box.

#84792 - 01/15/00 07:30 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

thanks jig man! I appreciate the help.
I only had the sticky tray problem when I was a kid. Adult hood brought with it the introduction to the ziplock bag, and organized tackle boxes:-)

I think it was you that had the post before on the jig/worms. How much worm did you say that you have on the jig? I bought some six inchers and cut of about an inch and a half of the head, and then put the jig on. Is this about right? thanks for the reply <@)((((><

#84793 - 01/15/00 08:21 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
Jigman Offline
Spawner

I get the 4 inchers and pinch an inch off the head. You tend to get some fish that will just grab the tail if you run the worm too long on the jighead.

#84794 - 01/16/00 08:56 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
dawhunt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washougal
Ive heard a lot about pink worm and steelhead fishing,would you give a quick course in how to rig them on a jighead and can you use them for drift fishing?? If you can how would you rig them ???

#84795 - 01/16/00 09:28 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
Jigman Offline
Spawner

If you look in Bob's tip section he explains how to rig them for drift fishing. On a jighead you fish them as you would a jig, beneath a float.Take a plain 1/8 or 1/4 oz jighead and thread the worm on leaving about 1 1/2 inches hanging behind the bend of the hook. Fish them just off the bottom and hang on!

#84796 - 01/16/00 10:26 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can also use other colored worms on your jig or even a hoochie.

------------------
Marty
www.steelheader.net
marty@steelheader.net

#84797 - 01/16/00 10:36 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
Jigman Offline
Spawner

bubble gum pink seems to be the best color, with a paler pink working well in super clear water. I wouldn't get caught up in carrying a whole lot of different colors. Pink is a key color for steelhead and that's the only color most guys fish.

#84798 - 01/16/00 11:00 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
dawhunt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washougal
Thanks very much,I'm new to this site,but I'm getting the hang of it,I fish the washougal river 99% of the time and Ive been wanting to try this pink worm fishing.I caught two natives today(unclipped hatchery fish)I'm going out in the morning and I'll try these pink worms I ran out to the store while waiting for your answer.So good fishing to you and thanks for getting back to me.

#84799 - 01/16/00 11:57 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
Jigman Offline
Spawner

I heard that Washougal was pumping them out! Go get em!

#84800 - 01/17/00 04:28 AM Re: jig head/pink worm
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

hey jigman,
You mentioned that you go an inch and a half beyond the jig, in your opinion is it possible to go longer?
any one,
Is it necessary to put a corkie or other bobber with the worm, or will the worm float by itself (using a 3/0 gammy)

#84801 - 01/17/00 04:29 AM Re: jig head/pink worm
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

hey jigman,
You mentioned that you go an inch and a half beyond the jig, in your opinion is it possible to go longer?
any one,
Is it necessary to put a corkie or other bobber with the worm, or will the worm float by itself (using a 3/0 gammy) for drifting

#84802 - 01/17/00 01:45 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
Anonymous
Unregistered

They make floating worms

#84803 - 01/17/00 10:15 PM Re: jig head/pink worm
Jigman Offline
Spawner

You can fish the worm as long as you want on the jighead but you may get fish that don't get the whole thing in their mouth(tail grabbers). The float goes under, you set the hook and come back with the worm hanging on the end of the hook......the fish just grabbed the tail. The shorter worm on the jighead prevents this.

#84804 - 01/18/00 10:34 AM Re: jig head/pink worm
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
You don't want a corky when using a worm on a jig hook, but I like to use a pink corky in front of the worm when using drift gear. My favorite worm is the Yamaguchi with the curly tail; they are not floating. The Exude worm by Mister Twister floats so you don't have to use a corky.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |