Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#868282 - 11/09/13 11:33 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Mergantroider]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
eyefish should get ban hammered for posting that pic! that pic is total cryfish worthy.

i'm totally disgusted and appalled that he even considered such a effeminate photo on this board.

if there's any Mod here, please take it down.

#1042801 - 11/27/20 09:56 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
it was sunny today

#1044221 - 12/19/20 09:12 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Saturday 9/21/13

Quite a few bankies fishing "jacks", I was the only boater......not as many biters as in the recent few days.

I had 5, was looking for 6..........wham......fish hits and takes off "up river"....line screaming off reel, pull anchor, get motor started, have to get line off a branch, fish still there but BUT BUT, my 75 yards of braid is about gone.......can see backing.......fish runs more......line completely gone.....1st time in my life I've been spooled.

Never really had a chance....10.5' rod, rated 4-8 #.......but it was fun!!!!

Jay Eff See!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1044222 - 12/19/20 09:43 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Thanks f4b for resurrecting this thread. I read it beginning to end. Depressing and entertaining... all in one. Definitely some lessons to be learned here.

BTW... a quarter million Chehalis coho is a MIGHTY big number in the 21st century.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1044227 - 12/20/20 10:53 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Real time report from downtown Aberdonia...

Puking BROWN mud and whole trees into Grays Harbor.... dropping into low tide.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1044238 - 12/20/20 10:10 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: eyeFISH]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I saw the mouth of the Wishkah pouring a dirt road
into the Chehalis today.

fp

#1044411 - 12/27/20 10:11 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/27/2020

Bored yesterday so did my "lookie lou bit".....Wynoochee, Satsop and Chehalis.

Chehalis at Fuller Bridge....1 rig in parking lot, no sign of boat and 1 pickup on ramp, shoveling dug off the ramp, into his pickup.

Satsop at highway, 1 rig still on trailer, just looking.

Wynoochee, no plunkers in lower river, couple at Black Ck. and some under the bridge......

Crying shame, all 3 of these rivers would have legal Coho to catch and of course some hatchery steelhead.

Be safe !!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1044455 - 12/28/20 05:34 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: DrifterWA]
riverdick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: around the next bend
[quote=DrifterWA]12/27/2020

Wynoochee, no plunkers in lower river, couple at Black Ck. and some under the bridge......

Wow baitless plunking! I have only plunked a handful of times with near zero success. I felt that bait was my only hope in the game. I know it can be done without but I would be pretty discouraged after the first 15 minutes of No action. Even though 90% my river fishing is baitless.

Guess it could have its own thread on techniques for baitles plunking.

#1044457 - 12/28/20 06:35 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Baitless Spin'N'Glo has accounted for many a dead hatchery (and wild) steelhead over the decades.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1044463 - 12/28/20 10:51 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Baitless Spin'N'Glo has accounted for many a dead hatchery (and wild) steelhead over the decades.

1968 - 1974....My fishing was plunking....spin and glows, Apple Knockers, Wobble Glo's, and other lures long gone. For some reason I drove to "Crooked Bridge" on the lower Humptulips. Some weekends there would be as many as 20 fishermen, on a long gravel bar. Oh the memories of fish caught, stories told, of older guys that remembered the glory days of "working in the woods, with the BIG TIMBER".

These years were all before the Bolt decision, so many BIG fish, lots of wild steelhead. Memories, memories and more memories......

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1044498 - 12/29/20 05:54 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Glory days for sure, would’ve loved that. I would think since Washington doesn’t fish Steelhead commercially the tribes wouldn’t either, why do they? Did they before the Boldt decision?

#1044499 - 12/29/20 06:13 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Salman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Back when Steelhead was not commercially viable and tribal folks supplied towns with fish. Along came canneries and salmon harvest became an industrial money maker and tribal fishers were displaced. So I think the answer to your question depends on your point in time from the 1860's forward.

#1044503 - 12/29/20 07:43 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
Salman Offline
Spawner

What’s your point in time from the 1860’s foreward?

#1044504 - 12/29/20 07:59 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Salman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
No idea really. When my Dad was a kid in the 30's he went out on the log booms with a pike pole when the tide was going out and the salmon hit the effluent from the mill and bellied up to get fish to sell or trade. Tribal fishers were all up the coast and locals traded salmon for Steelhead. In the late 20's until the war things got a bit strange with the depression. At the time of the treaty tribal folks hunted and fished whatever was available. All a Steelhead was to both the settlers and tribal folks was a fish, nothing more and nothing less.

#1044505 - 12/29/20 08:07 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
We have lost a lot. Unfortunately, we don't seem to want to recover what is lost but just to have "something".

#1044508 - 12/29/20 08:54 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Each new crop of fish managers falls prey to the shifting baseline of depletion. The level of depletion they inherit is viewed as the "new normal" and becomes the metric or benchmark against which their tenure as manager is judged. Past failures to stem the perpetual depletion are not seen as "their problem"... and so the historic enormity of the problem is lost in the present context.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1044516 - 12/30/20 07:38 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

In the 80s, when I was in management, I also worked on Fraser Management and we (there) were used to runs in the millions. Plus, when I started out on the research project, we had a couple thousand chums in a mile or so of stream. So, I was used to high density.

But, one year we had a great pink run. Lots more than we had seen in years. So, I set up a flight in one of WDF's Beavers and took the staff out to actually see what lots of fish in a river looked like.

You're right about shifting baselines but we all do it. "Fishing/hunting was great in the (fill in the years when you were at your peak) and has gone to s**t now."

I started hunting deer down in Goldendale about a dozen years ago and thought I had died and going to heaven. Deer everywhere. Generally out of bow range but there. Numbers are way down now, probably due to all the new 5-acre ranchettes.

Look at how many people now drool over a 20-pound Chinook. That's barely "bait" to what Chinook should be. Same with coho; they seem to be shrinking........

#1044519 - 12/30/20 08:14 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Carcassman]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
In the 80s, when I was in management, I also worked on Fraser Management and we (there) were used to runs in the millions. Plus, when I started out on the research project, we had a couple thousand chums in a mile or so of stream. So, I was used to high density.

But, one year we had a great pink run. Lots more than we had seen in years. So, I set up a flight in one of WDF's Beavers and took the staff out to actually see what lots of fish in a river looked like.

You're right about shifting baselines but we all do it. "Fishing/hunting was great in the (fill in the years when you were at your peak) and has gone to s**t now."

I started hunting deer down in Goldendale about a dozen years ago and thought I had died and going to heaven. Deer everywhere. Generally out of bow range but there. Numbers are way down now, probably due to all the new 5-acre ranchettes.

Look at how many people now drool over a 20-pound Chinook. That's barely "bait" to what Chinook should be. Same with coho; they seem to be shrinking........

I don’t think they are shrinking, take the Snohomish for example: as soon as the Chums were wiped out I noticed the size of Coho got smaller. What are the chances the Chum fishery hit the big Coho/Kings also?

#1044520 - 12/30/20 08:34 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

The Chinook have been shrining for a century. Initially, it was fishery related and is now food related too.

The chum fishery had nothing to do with Chinook, as the timing of fisheries are way different. There is some overlap with coho and chum but in my experience, we protected coho in chum fisheries by using larger mesh nets. Caught no coho. When mesh size was then dropped for steelhead lots of coho showed.

#1044531 - 12/30/20 10:16 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Carcassman]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
In the mid 1970's I volunteered to help spawn chinook at the Lower Kalama hatchery on my days off. I learned some things. In those days the largest, healthiest specimens were selected for taking eggs, and sperm. It made sense to me because those would be generally replacing the fish that had been caught in the sport and commercial fisheries, both by troll and gillnet. Then, some years later I learned that the hatchery administration wanted a broader spectrum of fish sizes spawned, not just the largest. Do you think that is still the directive?

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 950 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |