THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85657 - 01/23/00 10:26 PM Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Mavrick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
Anyone have any reports on these Jan. Feb. jewels?

Potter, How's the Plug pulling going in your neck of the woods?

[This message has been edited by Mavrick (edited 01-23-2000).]

#85658 - 02/03/00 06:05 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
sink tip Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: idaho
The Salmon is starting to pick up again but most fish are up river.. you need a jet boat. Clearwater is combat fishing near Orofino and you have to hit the fish right on the head. Most being taken with jig and bobber.. that will be true till end of season

#85659 - 02/03/00 10:32 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
potter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Pacific Beach, WA, USA
Still some being caught with plugs by 101 on the Quinault but I switched to bait down river. Heard 1 guy fished the Salmon (in Wa. State) and caught 2 yesterday on rez. Cook Creek also produced a few late hatchery yesterday.

#85660 - 02/03/00 10:46 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
JTownley Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia,WA, USA
I wonder if we can launch my buddy's new Alumaweld at Hartzels and run up the Salmon? I'll bet the turn above the bridge is a doozie. Sinktip--the Salmon river they're talking about in on the Olympic Penn. and is a tributary of the Queets. It would be tough sledding for sure.

#85661 - 02/04/00 01:06 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
....and after you jet up the Salmon you can go to the Nooch and take it to the head waters and make some more friends!

#85662 - 02/04/00 02:19 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Mavrick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Fished the Salmon today on the REZ side with my "Quinalt sponsor" and just like it has for the past four weeks we were the only ones on the river again just "hammering these beautiful fish" quit counting after about 10 raging hookups, and landing my 5th fish over 42", who cares about girth these fish are just "real thick!" There's nothing like fishing a couple of times a weekin almost complete solitude with your favorite IMX in hand and 10lb Izorline and saying to yourself "you da man!"

#85663 - 02/04/00 11:12 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
sink tip Offline
Eyed Egg

Feel like an ass on the salmon river thing. Around here. Did not know there was any other
than the "river of no return" Its hard to keep track of all those Washington state rivers. Nik Nak flows into the Nak Nak before it gets to the Hump Back over by Wak Nak.. etc. You guys are lucky. We understand that you have a run somewhere every month of the year..

#85664 - 02/04/00 11:39 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Mavrick you da man. I gotsta make a few indigenous friends.

"it's not what you know, it's who you know" -- dude from Chicago

[This message has been edited by Hohwaiian (edited 02-04-2000).]

#85665 - 02/05/00 10:45 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mr. Maverick
Or anyone in the know. I am going out to the Quinalt, Queets, Salmon area next weekend. I have fished the Salmon before but am interested in the tribal fishing area on either the Quinalt or Salmon / bank or boat fishing can anyone give me a good lead on who to contact and where to go at this time of year (guides). Thanks in advance

#85666 - 02/05/00 11:54 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
CHROMEDOMEHUNTER Offline
Fry

Loc: tacoma,Wa.
Dave
An awesome guide to fish the Salmon,Clearwater,or Quinault would be Robbin Rhoades.You can reach him at 1-800-767-4749.Definately no disappointments fishing with him although you might find it tough to find a date he has open.

#85667 - 02/06/00 01:39 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Mavrick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Sorry Fellas,
I like the the solitude,and would like to keep it that way for awhile, but I would look for other sponsors other than Rhodes and some others' even though I do make a very good living for myself & family, 125 bucks to be cut loose and walk the banks 2-3 times a week is, lets just say a Lexus and a Pickup lease. One just really needs to get access to the fishery, a seasoned steelheader will have no problem finding the snow-white bellied beauties'

#85668 - 02/06/00 08:04 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Maverick, I don't understand, why even mention anything about it if you want the solitude? Also there's a fine line between confidence and stroking your own ego.

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 02-06-2000).]

#85669 - 02/08/00 03:34 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
I am surprized that nobody has flamed Mavrick for jerking our chains yet! Well I am going to start the fire.....Mavrick probably hasn't even caught a steelhead, considering that he can brag about catching 5 steelies in one day that were all over 42 inches. Does he know how big those fish would have been? I just got off the phone with by brother in Alaska and since I told him that my fishing buddy and I went to the Salmon on Sunday, he asked me if I had read the post about the Salmon river. He asked me if I had read Mavricks post and then I realized just how big those fish would have to be....well into the twenty pound class.
Maybe this guy is related to the guy that fishes the rivers during the floods and accuses "Bob" of hiding the good reports during these periods.
Give us a break......and by the way......did not see a fish in the Salmon, but did hook and release a fish on the way home from there. I won't say where, but you guys can take an educated guess and BTW it was not the Wynoochee.
Good fishing to most and wishing to the rest. Let the roasting begin!

PS. NO, I have never taken my sled in the Wynoochee....that is what my partners Willie drift-boat is for, although I would much rather fish the Zipperlip.

------------------
Steve Ng....The FishNg1
99 F-350 4x4 SD, 18ft Alumaweld Formula Vee Sled, 115 Yamaha.

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#85670 - 02/08/00 05:07 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Steve, although the post was ambiguous, I gave Mav some positive stroking because I assumed those five fish in question were caught over a lifetime of pursuing the wily steelhead. Five "over" 42's landed in one day? Not even Sir Lancelot can claim that kind of numbers! Mavrick please clarify. Would hate to have NoodleRodder call B.S. on you.

#85671 - 02/08/00 09:50 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
sink tip Offline
Eyed Egg

5 fish over 42 inches in one day would be a hard to swallow number from a gill net.. Also see another sink tip handle here- I'll change mine to B-RUN.. Sorry about that.

#85672 - 02/08/00 11:18 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
HillbillyRedneck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Darrington, WA
After reading Mavricks posts, all I can say is:"I'm cornfused!"

#85673 - 02/08/00 11:42 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Sink tip,

Not to worry about the name. Mine is one word, yours is two. Your call on the switch.Besides it looks like we both hail from Idaho. I grew up outside of Genesee and used to fish the Clearwater and Snake regularly. Went back over on the Snake this fall and had a great time. So how is the N. Fork doing? Did the B-runs ever show up this year? In Novemeber, I know they were still holding in the Columbia.

Take care. Sinktip

#85674 - 02/08/00 06:20 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
It looks like Mavrick is talking about landing one fish over 42" in his last trip to Salmon River. I do not find this hard to believe. A buddy of mine caught a 24.5 lb. Hatchery buck in that river in February. This late in the season, you pretty well have to be up in the reservation section of the river in order to hit quantities of fish. And Mavrick, this river used to be a secret, it sure isn't any more. Get used to the crowds unless you hire a Quinault guide. There is enough river to fish on the rez without causing too much pressure. Below, the rez; well that's another story. Tight lines to all.

Eddie

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#85675 - 02/09/00 03:10 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Fish2Much Offline
Alevin

Loc: Battle Ground, Wa
No Eddie, he said his FIFTH fish over 42". Sure, I'd believe one, but 5 over 42 inches in one day... Please.

#85676 - 02/09/00 10:15 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Steelheader boy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia Wa.
I need my chest waders on this one!!!LOL
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH MAV YOU ARE A FUNNY GUY!!

------------------
Tight Lines
<*)>><

#85677 - 02/09/00 12:20 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Mavrick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Mr. Ng
Why is it hard for you to believe that one cannot bang 5 big ones in a day on a fishery such as this that. Maybe you should give the "Cowlitz" a rest and leave your "aircraft carrier" of a boatat home once in awhile and wash the Comencement Bay saltwater off your rod and reel before you hit the fresh, and fish this river a day or two before or after the Queets choke the lower river, timing and research is the keypoint to keep yourself from contracting the Pepe' LePeu syndrome, Sundays were a very bad day in Jan. but if you could find out the new Feb. schedule, you weekend warrrior might be able to "spot fish holding", you know what I maybe spotted only 1 of those big boys before he picked up my presentation, sight fishing here is not very productive, as well as many other rivers during the winter, exciting but not a producer. One does not have to see fish to know their holding or in the system, common sense! (Maybe this might hold true AK? does it brother Ng?) especailly when you know that the hatchery that is producing this run has had returns in of up to 6000+ in the past.
C'mon Steve reseach & common sense! If you prefer seeing your fish before catching I suggest you try the begginers hole at Cooks' Creek. By the way that is the 5th fish measuring from the butt om IMX1082S to the 1st eye(42" exactly) and then some, landed ( a few more haven't made it to shore) and bonked on the head since the new Millenium.
Steve, for the past 3 years I've have hooked and landed 150+ winter runs how about you? Anyways don't you cook all week long for a living? Why would you want to start a roast on your spare time, maybe you do your fishng homework. Semper Fi.

(formerly)
Cook Creek Kid
1975 Datsun PU
8' rowboat (oars) Pleez get a life.

P.S. Fished the Rez part of the Salmon yesterday hooked 2 before she blew, and headed to the Creek for a little fishing derby with "Biggie"

[This message has been edited by Mavrick (edited 02-09-2000).]

#85678 - 02/09/00 12:57 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
5 fish over 42 inches in one day.. Dude you are not the man.. you are the KING !!! You win the big prize of all time and forever

#85679 - 02/09/00 02:23 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
I have never fished that fishery nor do I know Mavrick or his abilities. I would also never call anyone on here a liar as I have seen some hard to believe fishing occurences. I will say though that if 5 fish over 42" were landed in one day, the fisher would qualify for Fish God status and we mere mortals would not be worthy of even associating with him. If that kind of fishing is available on that river, I think I better stay away as I know my heart could not take it.

#85680 - 02/09/00 05:12 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
The line go out.. the 42 incher come in. The line go out.. the 42 incher come in.. The line go out.. the 42 incher come in.. Yawn !!!! ITS GOOD TO BE KING

#85681 - 02/09/00 10:33 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Mavrick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

C'mon guys if you read last post thats since the new year. and in the first no where did i say in 1 day, which would rate fish god status which I am far, far from. In all its an icredible fishery period! Where you at Steve?

#85682 - 02/09/00 10:50 PM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Mavrik, I have been following these posts on your "REZ" adventures and I guess I've been a alittle confused. Now it's 5th over 42" in the past 4 weeks and 10 raging hookups that made you quit counting. So then you have had 10 hookups in 4 weeks? I had you "in my mind" as the man but now only 10 hookups in 4 weeks I have to put you back down with the rest of us.
Do we need to take up a collection and buy you a tape measure? I think your 42" mark on your rod is a bit off. Most 42" steelhead are very close to the 25# mark.

#85683 - 02/10/00 02:16 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
Mavrick Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I guess I'll clear things up for the slow, & confused readers.
went fishing, had a nice quiet day on the a river.
hooked and landed several fish.
caught a big fish.
5th biggest fish caught this year.
gotta sleep going fishing. hopefully #6
good luck to the rest of you.

#85684 - 02/10/00 04:57 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Mavrick, for one thing I rarely fish the cowlitz, or any other river that is choked with fisherman. I myself prefer to share the river with the least amount of people as possible, although in this day and age we all know that is impossible. Maybe if you weren't so rambunctious with your story telling, the rest of us might leave you alone. IE: Most of us don't have to go around here tooting our own horns, we let our fishing abilities and stature speak for themselves. Case in point....I can send you pictures if that is what it takes. Why is it that you now start stating that I was sight fishing for my fish. I personally don't need to see the fish to fish for them, an educated experienced fisherman can read the water and actually close their eyes and imagine they can see where the fish should be or are laying. I hope you aren't one of those guys that likes to "line" fish. And I also hope that you release ALL of your native fish.
I personally know and talk to many of the readers and writers on this board and they know my abilities as a fisherman. They also know that I am not one to rub it in their faces or go around boasting about my abilities. Please excuse me if this is what it sounds like!
Many of my co-workers think that I am crazy or addicted to fishing, because that is all I do. I live to fish, as do all the Ng guys in our family, and probably most of the readers of this board. If you want to question my abilities, I invite you to show me yours anytime.
BTW, if you think that an 18 foot sled is a battleship, than I think that you have missed the boat.....get the pun, eh. I don't mind a little commencment bay salt on my boat at all, as far as I am concerned, any fishing is good fishing. And if you had not heard, the fishing in this area was pretty darn good last season for 10, 15 and 20 pound average Kings. Anyone else have a problem with saltwater and good fishing?
I have been fishing the rivers of western Washington all of my life and have seen many changes here. Don't think that you are the only guy that can fish, because there are many of us out here. And yes, I do have to support my family by working a six day a week schedule, but I can also take the time off as needed and when needed to hit the rivers (or salt) at their prime.
I remember when you went to Forks and did not have a line of drift-boats going thru town. I can remember when the big thing was to head for Lapush to fish for the big Kings on a regular basis. And I have done plenty of those drive till you die trips to get to go fishing.....What I am getting at, is, maybe you are the weekend warrior, as it you seem to know how to pay to fish, pretty well.
Self-employed??? Hope that doesn't mean that you sold those 150 steelies.
Well so much for the fun that we have had toasting each other! Maybe we will meet in person, (who knows,if you fish as much as it seems, than we probably already have). Lets just go out and have fun fishing!

------------------
Steve Ng....The FishNg1
99 F-350 4x4 SD, 18ft Alumaweld Formula Vee Sled, 115 Yamaha.

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#85685 - 02/10/00 11:10 AM Re: Clearwater,Queets, Salmon River reports?
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
I would just like to say congrats to Maverick and everybody else that has landed a 42" Steelhead, As I never have landed such a fish. My largest was about a 15lber on the Salmon a couple years ago. But I sure have a lot of fun with 6 - 8 lbers I've brought to the bank this year, and no Nate has left the River. I am by no stretch of the imagination an "expert Steelheader", but by reading this web page and spending time on the river, I think I am getting better. I just love to fish! Being raised in Michigan I didn't learn to fish quite the same way as most folks out here, I just learned to love and respect the sport of angling. Now that I live here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest I get to learn and experience more types of fishing, and I'd like to thank every one that has given me a tip to help me out. Be it on this message board or one of the many "experienced Steelheaders" that have given some advice on the river. Hopefully someday I will get that thrill of bring in that 42"er, but if not.. I will still have many memorable days spent on the rivers of Washington.

Tight Lines!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645441 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |