Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#843660 - 06/13/13 04:07 PM Who knew? Flossing is legal in California
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

I always thought that flossing was illegal. Apparently in California it is perfectly legal. I sent an email to the head of the Cal DF@G to get a clarification on flossing after seeing a huge increase in the activity. The regs say that under section 2.00 (c) Fishing Methods: It is unlawful to kill, or retain in possession any fish which has not voluntarily taken the bait or artificial lure in its mouth. Any fish not taken pursuant to these regulations, shall be released immediately back into the water. Also under section 1.05 Angling: To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth.

I was wrong. I'm thinking they need to re-write the regs. This is the email response I got back.

Quote:

From
Milotz, Michael@Wildlife

To

XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX

Hi XXXXX and thanks for your e-mail. Sorry It has taken me some time to reply, I have been out of the office. I can understand your concern. The basic answer is yes, it is legal and as you have read/seen a common practice that is growing in popularity. There are many issues with this style of fishing. The extra-long leaders do often foul hook fish, many times hooked in the face or tail of the fish. Some people retain the fish (violating ccr T14 2.00) others do the right thing and release the fish.

Mike

Lieutenant Michael Milotz

Department of Fish and Wildlife

Law Enforcement Division

CalTIP Coordinator
1416 9th Street, Room 1326
Sacramento, CA. 95814
916-654-1485 (office)

1-888-334-CalTIP – 24 hour Poaching/Polluting Hotline

Edited by Blktailhunter (06/13/13 04:08 PM)

#843665 - 06/13/13 04:19 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Blktailhunter]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Lame...I think that officer needs to read his own regulations.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#843670 - 06/13/13 04:30 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Todd]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Agreed. The law seems pretty unambiguous to me (although *proving* that a fish didn't take something willingly would be near impossible). Unfortunately, law enforcement officers are not always the experts on the law.

#843694 - 06/13/13 07:05 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The way I read his response, the USE of flossing rigs is perfectly legal. Fish COULD willfully "take" the presentation.

Retaining fish that did not willfully "take" the gear is what's illegal.

He plainly states that some people keep them anyway, while others do the "right" thing.

Bottom line, while it may not be legal, such "take" seems to be tolerated by enforcement.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#843706 - 06/13/13 07:36 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: ]
RobertF
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Bead fishing is the preferred method on the American river and the reason I don't fish there. You can run into flossers on a few rivers here, but the American and the Mad are where I've seen the most.

rofl

Those flossers on the mad kill me. When its muddy they are there in droves. When the water turns green they all bag it,and thats when that river can be lights out on hatchery turds. I like going up there and bait fishing for a few bucks for the smoker.

The bite is where it's at. Flossing isn't fishing. If its a terminal area like Nimbus basin or Thermalito on the feather I say let them floss those hatchery boots and keep them off the water I fish

Edited by RobertF (06/13/13 07:39 PM)

#843707 - 06/13/13 07:53 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: ]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
"The extra-long leaders do often foul hook fish, many times hooked in the face or tail of the fish"

Seems to me that he is stating that the long leaders are legal but that fish hooked in the face or other places are considered foul hooked. I assume that it is not legal to keep foul hooked fish, so all fish not hooked in the mouth would be illegal. If it is legal to keep foul hooked fish, then the whole rules are screwed up.

#843732 - 06/13/13 09:07 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Krijack]
Salman Offline
Spawner

It's alright to retain a fish as long as it was hooked in the mouth, it doesn't matter if a knowitall called it flossing.

#843755 - 06/13/13 11:07 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: ]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
From what I understand flossing is them is illegal in CA, but it is popular on the American like Hank said.

I also think the email was saying that retaining those fish is NOT legal.

Best,

#843773 - 06/14/13 12:25 AM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: eugene1]
americanriverfishe Offline
Egg

ive kept thousands salmon /steel in ca since 1990 all hooked in the mouth mostly fished nimbus clay banks and sailor bar just below hatchery. i used minimum 25'-30' leader small bead and a #2 gami small pencil lead was the ticket just enough to tick bottom fish will be nice and bright august- sept i really miss being down there . but its much easyer pickins here in wa got plenty practice from nimbus dam im glad i did it destroys fish in wa same method from cali.

Edited by americanriverfishe (06/14/13 12:31 AM)

#843777 - 06/14/13 12:41 AM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: ]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Salman
It's alright to retain a fish as long as it was hooked in the mouth, it doesn't matter if a knowitall called it flossing.

How long are the leaders you use when you're hooking them in the mouth?

90 feet.

#843876 - 06/14/13 04:57 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Salman]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Eyefish and some others on here should be HUGE supporters of flossing on some of the rivers down here - it gets rid of hatchery fish that otherwise would try to spawn in the river.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (06/14/13 04:58 PM)

#843877 - 06/14/13 05:07 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
The flosser's brain is wired in such a way, that he/she has no need/desire to experience the take.
Probably some don't know that "the take" exists.

Cali should fix the reg.

#843966 - 06/15/13 12:06 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Direct-Drive]
Tyler_C Offline
Parr

The way i take it is that its NOT legal. A fish is not VOLUNTEERING to take the bait, which, according to the regs, is not legal.

I don't care what anyone says, flossing is illegal. The fish isn't taking the bait. You're forcing the fish to "take" the bait, but in reality, the fish didn't volunteer to hit it whatsoever. They are the same as snaggers in my eyes. No need for em

#843976 - 06/15/13 03:38 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Flyfishermen call flossing "the swing". laugh

#844047 - 06/15/13 11:10 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Tyler_C]
tooshort Offline
Egg

best lawyer in world could not prove flossed fish..oh ask the fish what happened duh

#844066 - 06/16/13 11:15 AM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: tooshort]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: tooshort
best lawyer in world could not prove flossed fish..oh ask the fish what happened duh

Flossers are counting on it.

#858109 - 09/19/13 12:34 AM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Direct-Drive]
Nathan29 Offline
Egg

Loc: FL
The laws are different for different state so in most of the state that Flossing is legal and i think most of the people think that its the easy way and using that.But may its illegal in other state near you.
get the info about world's best solicitors

Edited by Nathan29 (09/21/13 03:23 AM)

#858115 - 09/19/13 01:24 AM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: americanriverfishe]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
Originally Posted By: americanriverfishe
ive kept thousands salmon /steel in ca since 1990 all hooked in the mouth mostly fished nimbus clay banks and sailor bar just below hatchery. i used minimum 25'-30' leader small bead and a #2 gami small pencil lead was the ticket just enough to tick bottom fish will be nice and bright august- sept i really miss being down there . but its much easyer pickins here in wa got plenty practice from nimbus dam im glad i did it destroys fish in wa same method from cali.

hmmmm? 1 post. any guesses who this joker might be?

#858119 - 09/19/13 02:19 AM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: ParaLeaks]
menelaus22 Offline
Fry

If you think that's true then RVRFSHR ought to be names RVRSNAGR

#858124 - 09/19/13 08:11 AM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: menelaus22]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
speeding on the freeway is illegal too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |