Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#869470 - 11/14/13 07:20 PM Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/11/1...intcmp=features

Remains of the world’s oldest known stone-tipped throwing spears, described in a new paper, and so ancient that they actually predate the earliest known fossils for our species by 85,000 years.

There are a few possible implications, and both are mind-blowing. The first is that our species could be much older than previously thought, which would forever change the existing human family tree.

The second, and more likely at this point, is that a predecessor species to ours was extremely crafty and clever, making sophisticated tools long before Homo sapiens emerged.

Homo heidelbergensis, aka Heidelberg Man, lived in Africa, Europe and western Asia from at least 600,000 years ago. He clearly got around, and many think this species was the direct ancestor ofHomo sapiens in Africa and Neanderthals in Europe and Asia.

The new paper, published in the latest PLoS ONE, focuses on the newly identified stone-tipped spears, which date to 280,000 years ago. They were found at an Ethiopian Stone Age site known as Gademotta.

Sahle, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California at Berkeley’s Human Evolution Research Center, and his team analyzed the weapons. They determined that the spears were made from obsidian found near the site. The toolmakers had to craft the pointy spearhead shapes and spear shafts. They then needed to attach the points securely to the shafts. Even today, all of this would require skill, concentration and multiple steps.

Could a Steve Jobs-like innovator within the Heidelberg Man set have come up with this useful tool and production process?

Possibly, according to Sahle.

“Technological advances were not necessarily associated with anatomical changes (among Homo species),” he said. “The advances might have started earlier.”

The intelligence needed to create such tools could therefore have predated our present body type. Based on the recreations I’ve seen of Heidelberg Man (and Heidelberg Woman), they did look very much like us. They were known to have been fairly tall and muscular.

As for why innovative tools from this period are known only from this site in Ethiopia, Sahle has some ideas.

“High-quality raw materials were nearby, so those could have allowed for the full expression of technological skills,” he said.

“Second, a bigger population was supported at the site,” he continued. With more individuals around, there would have been a greater chance for the spread of innovative ideas. If there was indeed a Steve Jobs-type in the mix, he would have been able to influence more individuals and perhaps even created a prehistoric spear-making assembly line of sorts.

“Thirdly, there was a mega lake at the site,” Sahle said. “It might have attracted stable occupations there, further fueling technological advances.”

It’s not clear yet what the prehistoric ancestral humans were hunting with the spears. A mishmash of animal remains was found, but the researchers haven’t been able to tease them apart yet.

What is clear is that the spears were thrown from a distance at prey, instead of thrust into victims, Neanderthal-style.

- Albert Einstein.

#869497 - 11/14/13 08:50 PM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: Sol Duc]
Piper
Unregistered

the title should read... "Sol Duc's lost spear tip found - predates intelligence"

slap

#869511 - 11/14/13 09:25 PM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: Piper
the title should read... "Sol Duc's lost spear tip found - predates intelligence"

slap

Nice delete post and repost..."loosing" LOL

- Albert Einstein.

#869566 - 11/14/13 11:24 PM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Since it was on FoxNews' site I'm surprised they didn't offer equal time to the "The World is Only 6000 Years Old and the Spearhead was Planted by Satan" crowd.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#869582 - 11/15/13 12:15 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
YBD
Unregistered

Lol

#869589 - 11/15/13 12:23 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

One more mean, nasty comment,and I'm outta here! Then, I'm going to send TRBO an email to have my account deleted. laugh

- Albert Einstein.

#869590 - 11/15/13 12:25 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: salmosalar

So does this mean Sol Cuck or Scabby is a Neanderthal?

Go Red Sox,
cds

Comparing those two to Neanderthal is an insult to Neanderthal...

#869592 - 11/15/13 12:33 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

F/O Diaper. wink

- Albert Einstein.

#869596 - 11/15/13 12:35 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: Sol Duc]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
F/O Diaper. wink

does that mean you think about me every time you put yours on?

#869597 - 11/15/13 12:37 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

No,just after it's full of goodies. grin

- Albert Einstein.

#869598 - 11/15/13 12:39 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: Sol Duc]
_Nate_
Unregistered

arent any of you fvckers fishing?

#869600 - 11/15/13 12:41 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

No, we have jobs. eek

- Albert Einstein.

#869601 - 11/15/13 12:42 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: _Nate_
arent any of you fvckers fishing?

Those of us that don't live with mom work during the week. you should try it sometime wink

#869602 - 11/15/13 12:42 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: Sol Duc]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Just the tip?

#869603 - 11/15/13 12:43 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: Sol Duc]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
lol

Must...........fish...........more....................

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#869605 - 11/15/13 12:45 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: RB3]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: RB3
Just the tip?

Yeah,it's so big she, she screams if I go any further. B!tch!

Edited by Sol Duc (11/15/13 12:46 AM)

- Albert Einstein.

#869609 - 11/15/13 12:46 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: Sol Duc]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I actually am very intrigued by Neanderthals, and all of the prior species before Homo Sapiens came into existence. What a time to live, seriously. Kill or be killed. Hunt & gather to survive. I'm jealous of the freedom they had, but respect the danger they faced every day.

Simpler times. wink

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#869610 - 11/15/13 12:46 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: Sol Duc]
_Nate_
Unregistered

i cant stop, im addicted to it...

seriously...

(today) thumbs

#869613 - 11/15/13 12:48 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: Dogfish]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
I actually am very intrigued by Neanderthals, and all of the prior species before Homo Sapiens came into existence. What a time to live, seriously. Kill or be killed. Hunt & gather to survive. I'm jealous of the freedom they had, but respect the danger they faced every day.

Simpler times. wink

Just relocate to Chicago?

- Albert Einstein.

#869614 - 11/15/13 12:49 AM Re: Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans b [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
blinger

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 957 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |