Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#876668 - 12/22/13 08:46 PM Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I have an open request for advice & help. When I moved to WA in 2005, I made myself the promise to focus only on fishing. Now that I'm dialed, I am jonesing to get back into big game hunting. I grew up in CO and MI and have taken many whitetail, mulies and elk. Rifle only, no bow. I have not put in for anything since living here (a bad mistake in hindsight) and it’s my 2014 New Year's resolution to put in for something...anything.

Since I've taken whitetail and mulies - I'd really like to get a Blacktail. Of course, a nice rack would be awesome, but I'm also realistic and would be happy with a fork horn if I'm lucky. Elk would be my second choice. East side mulies third.

I can and will put in the time for scouting & prep work. I'll hunt any terrain, any condition, anytime & anywhere - but WA intimidates me and it's sort of confusing for a first timer. I'll also perform any sort of manual labor (except hay work); help with official events, road clean-ups and whatever else for some good tips and potential access...somewhere...anywhere? I'll pay for good keys.

So consider I'm starting from scratch. What do I do in this state and where the heck do I go? Specifically - I need real help.

PS > I'm also looking for a hunting buddy. In fishing, I'd give Parker a run on his boat ho'ing skills and I always get invited back for many reasons but mostly because I carry and pay for my weight and THEN SOME. This trait of busting ass while having fun carries over to hunting as well. Again, I will also work for this privilege if needed.

PPS > I understand that spots and whatnot are sacred. I'm not asking for any of that. Maybe some base towns or general GMU's, but that's it. I can find my own road. PM me if you want. I'll take any advice I can get here.

Thanks for listening and here's to the 2014 season! smile

#876801 - 12/23/13 06:41 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: NickD90]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

My first advise is to look on the WDFW website. Success rates for each GMU by weapon are listed. That will narrow down where hunting is generally good and generally bad. From there, figure out what weapon you want to use. Rifle is probably best for blacktails based on season timing and the weapon itself. I don't think the same applies for elk, especially if you want any kind of solitude. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have more specific questions along the way. I'd be happy to share what I know.

#876827 - 12/23/13 10:35 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: wsu]
NickD90 Offline

Thanks WSU and after I've done more research (and I've done a good bit so far), I'm going to take you up on that pm.

On the GMU's, how much does elevation play into Blacktail? Should I be looking more for low-land, farm / timber / Oly country or higher up in the eastern Cascades (clear cuts, heavy timber etc)? I'm used to backpacking & horse hunting at 9 - 13K feet, so I'll go way, way in as needed. I've heard of places like Vail Tree Farm, but it sounds like a cluster. What about the higher elevations in the north - eastern Cascades? I'm also going to stop by the local WDFW office for more info and maybe luck into a tip or two.

Anyone else have any wisdom or starting out advice to share? It would be most appreciated and welcome. Thanks,

#876909 - 12/24/13 11:03 AM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline

But that's my question on Blacktail country. I'm like you and like rough, mountain country, but I'm also not opposed to farm / woodland country hunting. For Blacktail, which is generally better? Like I said, I'm used to Mulies at altitude in terrain similar to Okanogan & west side country, but I also have taken many whitetails over Michigan bait piles while sitting a heated blind watching football and eating left over turkey (rough I know).

I'd hunt west side Mulies if given the opp, but I would prefer Blacktail. So is lowland (Chehalis, Centralia, Forks country better) for BT's or something higher up and more rugged (mountain passes, big timber etc)? Snoqualmie, Upper Skagit, Rainer etc..

How much does the snow level play a part in their movement? I.e. is it better to hunt higher earlier in the year? When selecting GMU's - does it pay to have one GMU of each type or is it better to centralize GMU's to one specific area / region?

Sorry - lots of questions.

#876952 - 12/24/13 01:25 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I like timber and edges for blacktail. No West Side mulies, that may have been your typo, meaning east side.

I hate modern rifle deer season, so I hunt muzzle loader. Pretty successful at it too. No crowds, deer aren't spooked, better weather in the early season, and a good chance to hunt in snow during the late season. Makes you hunt harder as well, as you need to close the distance and make your one shot count.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#877304 - 12/27/13 08:44 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline

Dogfish - yes that was a multiple typo and I mean't "eastside". My other "left hand". Ha!

Thanks for the continued good tips. It helps a lot, so keep em' coming! I've been doing some additional recon in the past week and have got a better idea on some things. But I got a lot more to learn. Thanks everyone.

#878093 - 01/02/14 05:05 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

I've spent the past couple of weeks scouring for every piece of info I can find and my damn head is spinning. This State makes things way, way too difficult (or maybe I am?). However, I am starting to piece together the bigger picture. Still a long ways to go and short time to get there...

#882448 - 01/27/14 05:45 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: NickD90]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

I bow hunt the rifle season, and rattle them in, think farms, old overgrown apple orchards, from past homestead periods. I have killed some whoppers with this method, lots of May,June,July scouting will help locate an area with potential, once they rub the velvet they start to become reclusive.

#883264 - 02/01/14 02:19 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
A trophy blacktail is as hard to hunt as any whitetail. If they get any pressure early they will become a vampire ( nocturnal) . For a Beginner take Andys advice tree lines, clearcuts etc. I only hunt blacktails during the late season, because I hunt Mulies and Whitetails during the regular season. There is a lot of timber lands here on the westside to hunt. Good luck.......Os

#883296 - 02/01/14 04:42 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: Osprey]
NickD90 Offline

Thanks Osprey - that is solid advice. I am looking forward to the challenge. Everything I've heard and learned about BT's so far puts them in a class harder to hunt than WT's. You can at least pattern WT's and hunt them over field plots which in and of itself makes things that much easier. Thanks again,

#883468 - 02/02/14 01:08 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: NickD90]
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Its not unheard of to pattern a blacktail. Trail cameras work awesome. But if you get busted by him.....everything changes.....use the force Luke
.........Os

#884022 - 02/05/14 01:02 PM Re: Blacktail & Elk - Request for help & advice [Re: Osprey]
Osprey Offline
Spawner

We haven't even gotten into talkin bout Elk, I know youve taken a Rocky mountain.
But a Roosevelt is a little different ,because of where he lives and how they respond , not as talkative for sure. You have to sweet talk him a little.......Os

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Tug 3, Carcassman), 184 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |