Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87700 - 03/18/00 01:50 AM Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA USA
The final episode of season one, Fisherman's Heaven features a fish-fest that consists of:

1) King Salmon on the Satsop
2) Trophy Rainbows on a private lake
3) Native Steelhead from the Sauk River

Monday at 6PM, Tuesday at 9PM and Friday at 10:00 AM on the Outdoor Channel.

Mike Wasch
Fisherman's Heaven http://www.fishermansheaven.com

#87701 - 03/18/00 03:56 AM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
Fishtick Offline
Smolt

Loc: S.W. WA
TV dudes. Can we get your program in SW Wash.? Maybe from a Portland cable station? A post back would be appreciated. Thanks

#87702 - 03/18/00 12:03 PM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Fishtick,
It depends upon your local cable system whether or not you receive the Outdoor Channel. AT&T systems in Puget Sound do NOT receive it, however, many of the smaller systems do and some "digital cable" systems carry it. Do not confuse it with "Outdoor Life" as it is NOT the same. Also, anyone with a traditional satellite system or anyone with the Dish Network (channel 153) can get it.
We are currently talking to local stations in WA, OR and CA in regards to airing in those areas later this year. Stay tuned to our website for updates on that.
Thanks,
Mike Wasch

#87703 - 03/18/00 05:39 PM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
fp Online   content
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
T V Hosts, Everytime you post a show on here I just cringe because I can't get the stations on my TV.cable. Now, if you were nice guys you would bundle them all up and send them to me. I would look at them and forward them to the next guy on a list we could make here and so forth. Man in our eyes you would be famous like Roland Martin and all them other bass guys. We just ain't the Bass kind around here. Just think of all the good posts you would have on here. Please!!!!!!!!!!I'll look at them and forward them on and pay for the shipping.
fp

#87704 - 03/18/00 06:09 PM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

FP,
Go to our website and send me an e-mail and I'll send you a free tape with our steelhead series on it. All it will cost you is a post here later to let people know what you thought of them compared to Billy Bob bass shows. However, we'd appreciate it if you didn't send it on to others. We very much appreciate your interest in the show, however, we are attempting to be a business. Actually, we WANT to be a business and to this point we are very much on the negative side as we have been a charity for the most part. It's been a very "interesting" learning experience to try to get people excited about fishing again in this state, in hopes that we can galvanize the energies of all the sportsanglers here and try to make some positive changes by showing some of the GREAT STORIES that still exist.

Except for a very small number of companies in this state (see http://www.fishermansheaven.com/sponsors.htm), everyone in Washington seems to love the idea of having a fishing show which highlights "real fish" like salmon, steelhead, sturgeon and trout but nobody is willing to invest anything in it. Companies in the fishing business complain that their industry is heading downhill and underpublicized, but when approached with a show that can put some hope and energy back into their sport, they all claim poverty.

Even the local television stations that have expressed interest (like Fox Sports NW) want us to pay to be on the screen (unfortunately, infomercials have made life hard for EVERYONE these days and TV stations expect shows to PAY their way on). For Billy Bob's bass shows, that might be understandable (they all look alike don't they?) because the production value is near zero, but we have spent a lot of time and money to create a superior product. Shows like Outdoor Journal and Flyfish pay FSN each week to air their shows and we will not stoop to that level. KONG-TV in Seattle doesn't have room for outdoor shows, but they air about 9 hours of infomercials per day.

We even approached the Washington Dept. of Tourism at one point and their director told us "we would never sponsor a fishing show in this state because ALL fish in this state are on the endangered species list and nobody would ever come here to fish." Isn't that scary that the person who makes the budget decisions for our state's tourist dollars is so uninformed? WDFW pleaded poverty also and then spent a bunch of money on a CD-ROM about Washington fisheries that nobody buys.

OK, so I'm done ranting and I'll answer your question: For those who are not in an area that carries our shows, all our episodes are for sale at http://www.fishermansheaven.com/onstore.htm

Thanks,

Kevin

#87705 - 03/18/00 08:40 PM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Hey TV Hosts.........It seems that you get a lot of "charity" advertising off of Bob's Piscatorial Pursuits, but I can't seem to find a reciprocal link on your website???

#87706 - 03/18/00 10:27 PM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Posh II,
Charity advertising? Hmmm....I think our topics are very relevant to the salmon and steelhead bulletin boards and I have e-mailed with Bob for permission before ever posting. We don't have a "links" page..just sponsors.
Thanks though,
Kevin

#87707 - 03/19/00 12:19 AM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Kevin....I just spent the better part of an hour clicking on all of your LINKS, separate from your sponsors, that took me to MANY different web sites. You even have a section that says LINKS. Let's see. My original question was why you didn't have a reciprocal link? That's right! You don't have any. And yet, you just made another link for the sale of your tapes!!

#87708 - 03/19/00 12:22 AM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I Used to get the Outdoor Channel on the Dish Network. Then they blocked it out. Just a bunch of booring bass fishing. Why don't they just give a free sneak preview of Fisherman's Heaven so we can see if its worth subscribing to the Outdoor Channel?

#87709 - 03/19/00 12:44 AM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Posh II,

To my knowledge, every link on the FH website is a link to a show sponsor or a guide we've used on the show. Exactly what web page has a section called links? Maybe take this offline and e-mail me direct at kevin@fishermansheaven.com because I'm a little confused and don't want to waste too much of Bob's bulletin board space.
K

Steelheadman,

You are right. Most of the shows on the Outdoor Channel are Billy Bob bass shows. That's why next week's show is our LAST on their network (we don't want to be known as an "Outdoor Channel Show" because that is NOT a compliment). We're pursuing a more regional approach at this time.

Thanks to both for your interest,

Kevin
FH http://www.fishermansheaven.com

#87710 - 03/19/00 11:56 PM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
skunkmaster Offline
Parr

Loc: Cosmopolis,Wa USA
I saw your show last week on the Outdoor Channel I pick it up on the Satellite out here in the boonies. Boy what a great show it got my blood pumping, The Salmon is a great river. How do you choose what where and when you will do a production. Were you using eggs under a float on the Salmon you might explain some of your technique for the beginers. I know look forward to somthing on mondays while monday night football is off.
Fishing With Shelly and Courtney is in for a little competition.
Keep it up. We just need to tell more people.

#87711 - 03/20/00 12:54 AM Re: Kings, rainbows and steelies on TV
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Skunkmaster,

Thanks very much...we appreciate that a lot. Yes, the Salmon River is incredible when the steelhead are running.

As far as how we choose when and where to tape a show.....word of mouth mostly. The first time we ever taped a show was with Rod Bush of River Otter Guide Service (http://www.greatnw.com/riverotter/). He had heard about us (this was long before we were on TV) and took us out fishing. I became about a 1000% better fisherman at that point..LOL - amazing how much better I am with a guide than by myself. Anyway, he put us in touch with a couple more guides and we went from there. Now we try to cover different species and different parts of the state. Steelhead are such a special fish and such great fighters that you can NEVER have too many steelhead shows.

On that salmon river show, we were using a cluster of cured eggs under a float. It's a real simple technique... a float is just a glorified bobber and it sounds more "glamorous" than the word "bobber." A float and then a few feet of leader (depending on depth..you want the eggs at least a foot off bottom) and then your gob of eggs. When the float goes under or pulls to one side, set that hook like there's no tomorrow! That's all there is too it. That river was so full of fish that day that we also caught them on spinners, spoons, jigs and shrimp. I think a pickle might have worked!

We'll only be on the Outdoor Channel one more week. It really does our sponsors (and therefore us too) no good to be on nationally because they are MAINLY concerned with the northwest. Plus, the Outdoor Channel is rapidly becoming the "Outdoor Infomercial Network" and airing the shows that pay them the most money...it's a real disgusting business sometimes. That's why you see so many bass shows that are owned by some company (can you say spiderwire?) and the whole show is basically a half hour ad for the main sponsor. We are currently pursuing getting on locally and regionally (Washington, Oregon, California etc.). We will keep you posted as long as POSH II doesn't get too upset at us for posting on Piscatorial Pursuits. Feel free to e-mail us anytime for more info and/or how you can help us get on locally. Thanks again for your interest.

Kevin Erickson
kevin@fishermansheaven.com

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |