LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87846 - 03/21/00 04:55 AM A Matter Of Fishing Nomen Clature?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This dude Nomen (not a term from a convent), sure has done a number on the often mis-understood English language; especially when it comes to the different meanings of the same words used in England and America. This is certainly true of fishing terminology. Why is it that in it's Northern ranges Chinook salmon are called Kings? And in it's Southern ranges the Kings are called Chinooks? Steelhead are refered to as Ironheads, Steelies, Seagoing Rainbows, and even good old Head. I've seen bumper stickers that claim "there is no nookie like chinookie" and that "there is no head like steelhead". To those claimants I say that either I just don't appreciate my fishing enough...or, they just don't know how to have good sex! And there's this matter of the Queen's English, as they say overseas. So many differences. Our term closet means toilet in England. Here in the NW we use a chicken term hen for female salmon and the manly hunter's term of buck for male salmon. In England they also use the term hen for female Atlantic salmon but they use the chicken term cock for the males. Many linguologists have called for standardizing the English language for all countries that use it. However, could you imagine fishermen around the NW in such a scenario, with big Chinooks on or landed on the Oly. Penn or in Tillamook?? "HEY Bob!! You should see the huge cock I've got a hold of!" or "Ya shoulda seen the cock I had my hands on yesterday" to which a reply could come "That's nothin' to brag about, come over here and look at my cock!". As confusing as this language is, maybe it's best left unchanged? - Steve Hanson

#87847 - 03/21/00 09:53 AM Re: A Matter Of Fishing Nomen Clature?
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
I'm totally speechless, Steve. What a great idea for someone's senior thesis. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

P.S.-Hang in there, man. You still have a lot more fish to catch!

[This message has been edited by backlash2 (edited 03-21-2000).]

#87848 - 03/21/00 12:40 PM Re: A Matter Of Fishing Nomen Clature?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Reel Truth, If you get a real big cock you'll understand "no nookie like chinookie.

#87849 - 03/22/00 02:12 AM Re: A Matter Of Fishing Nomen Clature?
Anonymous
Unregistered

bl2- Thanks much for the encouragement! Got to have faith in their 90% cure rate of this type, this early. And I'm glad you enjoyed the above "concocktion". - AKK- I've had a heck of lot of both in my lifetime & at 51 I still prefer land nookie to landing chinookie!! - RT

#87850 - 03/22/00 09:52 PM Re: A Matter Of Fishing Nomen Clature?
ExtraStout Offline
Fry

Loc: Kirkland, WA. USA
This is the most hilarious post I have seen on this board to date! Thanks guys for the good laugh...it made my evening!

------------------
ExtraStout

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645441 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |