THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#825374 - 02/26/13 12:27 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

More good work Coley! You're a regular pro, except for working for free. I've become partial to a tarpon fly, whose name eludes me at the moment, but it's got a rabbit strip tail and a wide, flat head. I haven't figured out how to tie that head yet, or what poly material to use, so I buy them at PS Fly Anglers in Tacoma. The tarpon like 'em in black, purple, and blue.

The strip wing flies swim good, but sorry to report that the red one has taken up residence on some submerged wood on the OP the other day. I think I'll save the remainder for the Dean this summer, assuming we make the draw. The flies are too nice to fish real deep.

#825375 - 02/26/13 12:34 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
SG,
Would that be a Toad tarpon fly?

#825398 - 02/26/13 03:19 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Ah yes, Toads! I like how they swim, and the baby tarpon love 'em too.

#878319 - 01/03/14 11:36 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
It's that time of year again. Short days and long cold nights means too many hours spent looking for entertainment inside doors, otherwise known as tying season

I've had some fun projects so far this winter twisting up some stuff for friends taking warm water trips.

Lots of boner fish. Mainly the usual Crazy Charlie varieties but with a few new twists and, uh, turds thrown in. The first few batches of twenty some dozen so far this winter.

Moanna's Chili Pepper

Moose Turd

George Bush

I took a stab at knocking off a few of Kelly Galloup's articulated streamers. He's got some pretty badass stuff and I really like his big bug philosophy for trout. Check out his online fly shop and patterns if you haven't already.

A few Boogie Man variants. I didn't have any white deer hair for the heads and instead had to use bucktail. Less than ideal.

A a twist on the Sex Dungeon with a little more sculpin flavor for locale.

Fry patterns rock in the spring in these parts and here are a few quick and dirty versions that have treated me well.

Simple marabou fry. Been digging the UV fly finish, thanks Stonefish. Talk about quick and easy!

DNA fry

Ugly version of a wiggle tail fry...ugly but deadly.

And finally, just to throw a little bit of sacrilege into what could otherwise be a fairly civilized fly fishing discussion, the EZ Thread Yarn Ball factory has been cranking as of late. Must be steelhead season in the PNW?

(pardon the card, sometimes yarnie photos show up elsewhere without permission)

Anyone else dusting off the bobbins to lash feather and fur to hook as of late?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#878325 - 01/03/14 11:57 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Coley,
Glad to hear you like using the uv cures. Really no reason to use epoxy anymore.
Sometimes those blind Charlies will do the trick when nothing else will.
No flies being tied for me recently, but since you mentioned yarn balls I'll add I've been tying up while watching bowl games.
SF

#878328 - 01/04/14 12:03 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Great looking stuff!

I dig the prawn jigs. Very fishy looking and nicely done. The articulated rabbit varieties are sweet as well.

Bonus points for a new nightmare application as well smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#878365 - 01/04/14 01:50 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Sex Dungeon! Where are the Zoo Cougar's Coley?

Stoney - yeah gotta agree with Coley - those prawn jigs are handsome.

Nice job fellas!

#878408 - 01/04/14 01:34 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: NickD90]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

So are you guys using Clear Cure Goo?

#878491 - 01/04/14 11:34 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Sam,
I've used CCG Tack Free in the past. It works fine, but I've found it not to be tack free. As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, you need to either coat it with Sally Hansen's or get it outside in the sun to get the final cure. I used the CCG light as well.

Over the last six months or so, I've been using a brand called Crystal UV. It is truly tack free as advertised. I buy it from a member on WFF who goes by Silvercreek. I'd highly recommend his high power light. The light is so strong If you don't wand it over the uv cure the cure will start smoking.
It will cost you about $50 to get started with the cure and high power light.
I used it an my salt flies this summer and it held up really well to getting whacked on the beach. I really like his product and don't
really see myself using CCG again.
Here is some info on his product.
http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/uv-resin-system-t42344.html
SF

Edited by stonefish (01/05/14 11:47 AM)

#878508 - 01/05/14 03:44 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I've been using Loon's UV Clear Fly Finish and can't imagine anything being easier. It takes about 8 seconds of exposure to the light and the finish is clear, hard, and not tacky at all. No complaints.

They offer two different sized lights and I went with the larger of the two at friends recommendation.

I also went with the thick , which is definitely thick, but that doesn't seem to be a bad thing as you haven plenty of time to move it around and even out proportions before it runs off on you. I'd like to try the thin for the sake of comparison, but again I can't think of anything that needs improving with my current setup. Very glad to have put the epoxy and softtex away.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#878547 - 01/05/14 01:26 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Originally Posted By: Banned User
...you talkeetna boyz got all the cool stuff

Including all of our teeth.

Jealous quilbilly?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#878554 - 01/05/14 01:51 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Amazing hook trickery.

Great work !

#878555 - 01/05/14 01:52 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Coley,
Good to here the Loon product is working well for you. I was using Knot Sense Sense. A fly shop employee had told me all the Loon uv products were the same, just sold under different names. That obviously isn't true based on your experience.
The light I used may have played a bit in the tackiness of the Knot Sense as well.
I only had one of their tiny key chain type lights so I used the CCG light on it.
I hear you about epoxy. I doubt I'll ever use it again. The uv cures are just way to easy.

Based on my research, it seems the light plays a large role in the final curing process. Different lights may or may not fully cure with the different uv products on the market.
I have noticed that changing the batteries also helps. Fresh batteries seem to improve the curing process.
SF

#878562 - 01/05/14 02:19 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Spent a few hours on this married wing fly. Marrying those 75 or so calf fibers for the perfect over wing is tedious business.

Attachments
coleycopy (356x475).jpg

#878571 - 01/05/14 02:55 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: stonefish
The light is so strong If you don't wand it over the uv cure the cure will start smoking.

Guess you could give your self a sun burn with that light, eh?

I ordered the CCG stuff from WW yesterday afternoon. I'll see how it does. I'm not liking what you say about the tackiness of the cured finish. Hope I have different results. We'll see. If not, it's not the end of the world, I'll make due.

There are some bait patterns I want to tie that have had epoxy heads. I can see some using some of the thin finish for still water flys.

#878596 - 01/05/14 05:04 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Nailed it wntrrn!

Don't stare at the light Sam, it's pretty, but it hurts.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#878623 - 01/05/14 06:59 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

Don't stare at the light Sam, it's pretty, but it hurts.

Now you tell me????

#878679 - 01/05/14 10:49 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: Banned User

Been tying a bit myself, will try and contribute a pic or two when I get off work.

Well....you working nights?
I know you have a problem with cameras and posting pictures, but "will try" sound like promise to me. grin
Let's see what you've been twisting up John.

#878752 - 01/06/14 01:47 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I'm getting low on bait myself, so it's time to hit the vise and tie some more.

I'm not familiar with this high-falutin' UV stuff. It this to put plastic heads on baitfish style patterns? I tie very few salt water flies, but from what I've read and heard, eyes make a big difference when it comes to getting eaten.

#878755 - 01/06/14 01:58 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Salmo,
The UV cures basically takes the place of epoxy.
Super easy to use, just zap it with the UV light and it is done in a matter of seconds.
No more epoxy mixing, yellowing or turning to dry.
It is good for lots of uses like baitfish heads, chironomid bodies, wing cases, scud bodies ect. Any pattern you would have used epoxy on you can substitute with UV cure.
SF

Page 3 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24 25 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |