Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87984 - 03/07/00 09:50 PM Gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where is your favorite place to buy gear, the only real good place I know of is the outdoor emporium?

#87985 - 03/07/00 11:10 PM Re: Gear
jq Offline
Fry

Loc: evt usa
i like outdoor emporium for selection and price. i've not been able to find a good selection of spoons yet though. anyone know of a spoon place? i'm from the north end, but i've heard about some place in fife or tacoma.

#87986 - 03/07/00 11:15 PM Re: Gear
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Sportco in Fife...Its got everything almost and there prices are better than
O.E. example: Tadpollys at Sportco are 3.99, Ive never seen em cheaper anywere...Even distributor direct...

#87987 - 03/07/00 11:15 PM Re: Gear
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

This may not apply to many of us but if you ever road trip to Portland, go to Fisherman's Marine Supply. They have everything on the planet and it's TAX FREE!!! We have relatives down there so whenever we head that way, I stock up. It's a great place!

#87988 - 03/08/00 01:33 AM Re: Gear
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Any regular tackle shop owner will admit that Sportco and Outdoor Emporium and the likes are great places to buy gear if you are only intrested in price. But when it comes to the service and the knowledge of the employees nothing even compares to a true tackle store.
They get away with the ultra cheap prices by selling the gear for less than cost. Because they sell other high profit items like shoes they can afford this. The super low prices bring in customers who in turn by shoes.
I am in no way going to pimp the place that I work at just because it is against the rules of this bulletinboard but do remember the next time you go to one of these super large stores, the guy ringing you up probally has no idea how to tie an eggloop knot--one time I had a employee of one of these stores come into the shop where I work and he asked me how to tie an eggloop knot. If he does not know how tie a simple knot do you really think he knows the safe routes to take when you go out and float the Upper Sky?? Just something to think about.
Tight Lines
Ryan S. Petzold

[This message has been edited by RPetzold (edited 03-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RPetzold (edited 03-07-2000).]

#87989 - 03/08/00 02:11 AM Re: Gear
ctflyfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: ridgefield wa. usa
Low prices may not always be the best deal. In my area, one of the more expensive Portland shops gives back to the fishing community by providing free materials for fly tying classes and instructors for community casting clinics. Plus, it's nice to hit the shop and deal with a nationally known expert.
Can't get that at G.I. Joe's.

#87990 - 03/08/00 02:20 AM Re: Gear
ripple Offline
Smolt

Loc: Auburn, WA
Personally, I'm partial to Outdoor Emp. For those who enjoy fishing with the fly. Patrick's is a great store. Not big but the info is great.

#87991 - 03/08/00 03:46 AM Re: Gear
Backbouncer1 Offline
Fry

Loc: Portland, Or. - Wash. Co.
Hey, this is such a great board for the myriad of fishing info. & worthwhile debates!- Ryan, you work in a tackle shop. Many of them are excellant & some of them even have integrity when it comes to giving out accurate fishing reports. However, in our area, a high % of shops always overhype or outright lie about the fishing prospects to unethically increase their business at the expense & disappointment of the fishermen that support them. Fishermen, what's this situation like in NW Wash.? - Steve

#87992 - 03/08/00 07:38 AM Re: Gear
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
The only thing I can tell you guys, is that you often get what you pay for. I won't mention the name of the shop in Lynwood, but, I have had nothing but great experiences. I am sure that I could have probably gotten my stuff cheaper somewhere else. 3 of us came out to the west coast to do a little steelie fishing, and really weren't set up that well. We stopped at T*ds, and those guys spent a couple of hours trying to help us out, and get us set up for your monsters. They shared info on techniques, and generally knocked themselves out giving us a hand. I've called and talked to them several times in the last year, and shot the breeze about how some of the gear is working here in the Midwest. They UPS stuff to me, and I get it ASAP, without fail. That has to be worth something. You can bet money on where I stop on my way to the Zipper in a few more weeks. Nuff said.

#87993 - 03/08/00 08:56 AM Re: Gear
SteveL Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Without a doubt, Ted's in Lynnwood.

#87994 - 03/08/00 09:03 AM Re: Gear
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Yea you guys are right...If ya dont have a clue dont go to Srortco or Outdoor, But if your an expert and dont need advice (opinions) and fish so much you need good pricing then you will look to Sportco and the like!

#87995 - 03/08/00 11:53 AM Re: Gear
skunkmaster Offline
Parr

Loc: Cosmopolis,Wa USA
Try Barrys Bait and tackle in Richmond B.C.
Great service great expert advice all over the internet. The best and cheapest Canadian made gear such as Gibbs COHO spoons,at American doller prices. WWW.berrysbait.com

#87996 - 03/08/00 12:59 PM Re: Gear
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Hey JQ,

I live in Fremont and I think I've checked out just about every tackle shop within a 25 mile radius of "the Center of the Universe." Outdoor Emporium does have the best prices and selection on some things and there are a couple guys behind the counter who know what they're talking about and not just running bar codes.

But you're right about the spoon shortage. Stop in Salmon Bay Tackle in Ballard to pick up some Mor-Tac spoon components and shoot the poop. It's a smaller store that makes most of it's money off of flyguys but they're the only one aside from Sporties in Redmond that has Mor-Tac components. You can order direct from Mor-Tac's web site but the prices aren't any better and you have to pay shipping. Go figure.

Of course, if you live closer to Ted's the choice is easy.

Bruce

#87997 - 03/08/00 09:46 PM Re: Gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone ever been to Sportees in Redmond? they have some good stuff, and a few of the guys there even know what they are talking about.

#87998 - 03/09/00 11:56 PM Re: Gear
Jack Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Gig Harbor
Narrows Tackle and Marine in Tacoma also has an excellent selection of everything from Bass gear to Salmon gear. Their corky selection is fantastic as well as spoons, Wiggle Warts, rubber worms, spinners, hoochies, etc. The prices are a hit and miss kind of thing, sometimes they are higher on some things than Sportco and sometimes they are the same or even lower than Sportco. ( I'm not knocking Sportco).
Narrows Tackle and Marine is under rated when it comes to gear. If you don't find what you are looking for, just talk to Russell and he can usually get it for you.

#87999 - 03/10/00 01:22 AM Re: Gear
mutha goose Offline
Alevin

Loc: olympia wa
I guess I've been buying most of my gear at Sportco in Fife. This is partly because I work only about a quarter of a mile from them and their prices are pretty good. However, lately I've been wondering about the huge decline in the bait and tackle shops that once thrived on the rivers and in the bays and harbors where I fish. I've decided that saving a few cents on a corkie isn't as important as keeping these last few on the water proprieters in business. Whenever possible, I try to buy my fresh bait, snacks and some gear from these shops. Another bonus of these shops is that they usually have a huge amount of current information on their water and what the hot location and combination has been. If you're willing to spend a few minutes talking and a few dollars on merchandise they're usually more than willing to share their knowledge.

#88000 - 03/10/00 02:53 AM Re: Gear
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Two thumbs up for the Narrows. With the screwed-up saltwater regs we've got, these boat and bait guys need all the help they can get. Also, check out garage sales, estate sales, and hardware/sportshop closing sales for great prices. Looking for gear at these places is a lot like fishing. You put a lot of miles on the rig and often return home empty-handed.You get used to hearing-- You should have been here yesterday! Occasionally, you get so lucky, you want to show everybody your "prize catch".

#88001 - 03/10/00 04:26 PM Re: Gear
Scott Doherty Offline
Fry

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa.
Do most of my fishing/hunting shopping at Sportco, once saw the manager-owner of a small fishing tackle store there with probably $400-$500 in tackle in his cart, I'll bet he made a little profit off that shopping trip.

#88002 - 03/11/00 01:31 PM Re: Gear
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
On your next trip out to Forks, try "Swains" in Port Angeles. This is a great store with all kinds of stuff. It's a great place to get all of those things you forget when you leave town, sleeping bag, pliers, whatever.
"Swains has everything".

#88003 - 03/11/00 01:48 PM Re: Gear
free drifter Offline
Alevin

Loc: issaquah,wa
I will never shop at sporties again the owner is an asshole. outdoor for price Teds in lynnwood for price and service plus the guys behind the counter really know there stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |