Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#880307 - 01/14/14 04:11 PM fishing jounral
stlhdng Offline
Egg

hey guys i have looked all over the board and haven't found much info on fishing journals. i am hoping to start a new tradition of recording all of my fishing adventures. I have looked on amazon and there are a couple decent journals but i figured I'd see what other guys do. so, do you have a favorite journal that you purchase? do you make your own? what info have you found helpful (ie h2o temp, barometer, weather, tackle, cfm). as for now, I just fish when I can, so I don't pay attention to this, so is it worth the extra journal time to gather this info? do you do pics? it seems like everyone has an iphone these days so pics shouldn't be hard to get. is there any other considerations that you have or critiques of commercial journals that would help a newbie? thanks in advance for the advice, i look forward to seeing what other guys do.

#880311 - 01/14/14 04:22 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: stlhdng]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: stlhdng
hey guys i have looked all over the board and haven't found much info on fishing journals. i am hoping to start a new tradition of recording all of my fishing adventures. I have looked on amazon and there are a couple decent journals but i figured I'd see what other guys do. so, do you have a favorite journal that you purchase? do you make your own? what info have you found helpful (ie h2o temp, barometer, weather, tackle, cfm). as for now, I just fish when I can, so I don't pay attention to this, so is it worth the extra journal time to gather this info? do you do pics? it seems like everyone has an iphone these days so pics shouldn't be hard to get. is there any other considerations that you have or critiques of commercial journals that would help a newbie? thanks in advance for the advice, i look forward to seeing what other guys do.

I never kept one....wish that I did, though.

These days I would probably carry a scratch pad and then enter that day's data into custom (by me) spreadsheet form using Excel or similar when I got home.
And back it up, of course.

Instrument shops that carry surveyor's supplies have nice, all-weather note pads.

#880313 - 01/14/14 04:40 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Direct-Drive]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

I use to keep track of that. But now I'm at a point in life where I catch a lot of fish, far more than most. So now instead of detailed notes in a journal of every day fishing. I just keep track of exceptionally good days AND bad days. No more in between
After years of keeping logs about fishing I'm pretty good at just keep a memory logged of evey day and the conditions on a regular basis.

#880317 - 01/14/14 05:12 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: bankbum]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: bankbum
I use to keep track of that. But now I'm at a point in life where I catch a lot of fish, far more than most. So now instead of detailed notes in a journal of every day fishing. I just keep track of exceptionally good days AND bad days. No more in between
After years of keeping logs about fishing I'm pretty good at just keep a memory logged of evey day and the conditions on a regular basis.

what

#880319 - 01/14/14 05:16 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Direct-Drive]
Piper
Unregistered

The KeY to a Gud Jurnal is propur Speling and punctation and use of Capitolizacion,

#880329 - 01/14/14 06:16 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: ]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
I started one but Ive been too busy fishing to update it.

#880333 - 01/14/14 06:55 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: deerlick]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
In all my years fishing, I think ive only documented a couple pages of notes. Keep telling myself to get a journal and write down every trip, if for no other reason to look back on and remind myself how bad the fishing is getting...

For the beginner it can speed up the process of water height/clarity and color/size recognition for those conditions.

I second the Excell spreadsheet, you can customize it to your needs.. Date, River Locale, water height/temp, lure used, fish caught, etc...

#880336 - 01/14/14 07:12 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: stlhdng]
Sal Fario Offline
Fry

Excel to create and then record.

I have a 1 pager if you want. Circle most stuff cuz it's already listed.

#880341 - 01/14/14 07:32 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Sal Fario]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
I gave up on keeping one.

especially now, not worth it based on less and less steelhead being offered to the license holder.

#880350 - 01/14/14 08:05 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Brewer]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The value of the journal increases with time.

As one gets older, the ability to remember details starts to fade, and trips of days gone by just begin to blend together.

There is also the sentimental factor of being able to look many years back on past successes ( and failures) and who was there with you to share them. It helps you to appreciate the good times you had along the way, esp during long winters.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#880361 - 01/14/14 08:42 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: eyeFISH]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

As one gets older, the ability to remember details starts to fade, and trips of days gone by just begin to blend together.

There is also the sentimental factor of being able to look many years back on past successes ( and failures) and who was there with you to share them. It helps you to appreciate the good times you had along the way, esp during long winters.

This is a great answer ^^^

#880368 - 01/14/14 09:02 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Direct-Drive]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I try to put every trip, bite and landed. Been doing it since the early 80's.

I just use a calendar and have a big pile of them hidden!

fp

#880370 - 01/14/14 09:03 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Direct-Drive]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Personally, I just go fishing. The memorable days I never lose in my head and to be honest they are marked on a calendar, but not in any detail as to weather, temp, etc. Besides, the weather, water levels, etc., are so inconsistent from year to year, as are the runs, it seems kind of useless to count on the same results from one time period to the same time period the following year.

Not saying there isn't any value to keeping a journal, just not for me.

#880371 - 01/14/14 09:04 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Idaho Mike]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
When I was a kid I made one, had categories for all kinds of things that I was excited to keep track of...and then never put anything in it, not once.

Still haven't.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#880377 - 01/14/14 09:21 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: fp]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: fp
I try to put every trip, bite and landed. Been doing it since the early 80's.

I just use a calendar and have a big pile of them hidden!

fp

That's a good idea.
The equipment rental yards usually have big, free calenders for us construction types.
Plenty of room to make notes for each day....and did I mention, free ?

Check United or Sunbelt.
My favorite is Star but they're a Portland company.

Tech Tip:
If you ask real nice they might give you a 12" job office wall clock.

#880381 - 01/14/14 09:31 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Todd]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
I never had the discipline. Instead, I really enjoy reading the signs from weather, tide, a coarse level personal knowledge of run timing by location and variability in response to conditions, , etc. and making a decision to go fishing or not. Then on the water it happens at a finer scale, what gear to use, which hole to fish, when to move. Reading the water. Watching the birds. In short, I enjoy observing the circumstances and responding to them more than relying on a history of what happened before. The accumulated knowledge is in my head.

Now days, a lot of people look at the internet and see what happened yesterday to make thier decisions. Probably better than a journal if you dont yet have the instincts developed on how everything combines to influence fishing success. But I know a lot of people who make good use of a journal, so if you think it will help go for it.

#880391 - 01/14/14 09:59 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: milt roe]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:

+1

I wised up and started keeping one back in 93'. Every trip since, where I have a fish encountered gets recorded. This includes bites, rolled fish, hooked & lost and landed. Skunk trips do not get recorded.

I've done it for so long now that at the end of the day it's just automatic to sit down and record what happened for the day-not a hassle at all. Now that I have a 100+ pages of data, it is INVALUABLE for seeing trends and run timings under different conditions on different waters.

I just use a small-size 6" x 8" 3-ring binder with heavy stock lined paper like you'd see surveyors or foresters use. It holds up better over time. Pretty simple.

#880393 - 01/14/14 10:14 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Eric]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I used to keep one for all my saltwater beach fishing.
I then forget to note it or be to tired when I got home to do so.
Once you start getting the beaches dialed in regarding tides, it get pretty easy to determine what tides will produce and which will be a bust.

I do agree with Doc on the sentiment value. My best friend and I have fished together for over 40 years and have had many great times. We both bring up things now that one of use remembers and the other one can't recall.
SF

#880401 - 01/14/14 11:01 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: Brewer]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

I have been keeping a journal since 2000, I use the "Fishing Journal, Angling Legacy". By Frank Amoto publication, I document all river trips. The flow at start, finish, temp, clarity, the holes we hooked fish, the offering, hooked, landed, wild, hatchery, and partners fished with. It is a great resource

#880402 - 01/14/14 11:02 PM Re: fishing jounral [Re: stonefish]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Tried to do it once then realized it felt too much like work (data analysis, tracking, tallying, spreadsheets, etc.). I go fishing to forget about work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |