NEWS RELEASE
Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/
January 17, 2014
Commission Office, (360) 902-2267
Commission seeks comments on revised
draft policy for Grays Harbor fisheries
OLYMPIA - The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission is seeking public comments on a revised draft policy to improve salmon management in Grays Harbor.
The revised draft policy includes new provisions recently proposed by the commission to conserve wild salmon runs, clarify catch allocation, and reduce conflicts between sport and commercial fishers in the harbor.
The commission, a citizen panel that sets policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), added the new provisions during a public meeting attended by more than 150 fishers Jan. 10-11 in Tumwater.
Ron Warren, deputy assistant director of WDFW's Fish Program, thanked the commission for adding provisions he said would provide the department with clear direction for setting future seasons for non-tribal salmon fisheries in Grays Harbor.
"We need to focus on conserving and restoring the salmon runs in the Grays Harbor Basin," Warren said.
The revised policy, scheduled for a vote by the commission at a meeting Feb. 7-8, is available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/fisheries/grays_harbor_salmon/ .
Written comments on the revised draft policy may be submitted through Jan. 31 via email to commission@dfw.wa.gov or by mail to the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission, 600 Capitol Way N., Olympia, WA 98501-1091.
Commissioner Rolland Schmitten, who spoke in favor of the amendments, noted that fisheries in southeast Alaska and Canada intercept nearly half of all fall chinook salmon returning to the Chehalis River, which flows into Grays Harbor.
"Our challenge is that there are simply not enough salmon to meet the expectations of all stakeholders," Schmitten said.
In other business, the commission modified fishing rules for two rivers on opposite sides of the Cascade Range:
• Naselle River: Fishing from a floating device equipped with an internal combustion motor was prohibited year round from the Highway 4 Bridge upstream to the Crown mainline (Salme) Bridge. The commission's action was based on a citizens' petition.
• San Poil River: The daily limit for walleye was raised from eight fish to 16 fish to address an overpopulation of walleye in this tributary to Lake Roosevelt.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/fisheries/grays_harbor_salmon/

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#881636 - 01/21/14 09:13 PM Re: Revised draft policy for Grays Harbor fisheries [Re: Phoenix77]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
"Commissioner Rolland Schmitten, who spoke in favor of the amendments, noted that fisheries in southeast Alaska and Canada intercept nearly half of all fall chinook salmon returning to the Chehalis River, which flows into Grays Harbor.
"Our challenge is that there are simply not enough salmon to meet the expectations of all stakeholders," Schmitten said. "

This where a major battle should be waged!!!
It is well documented that we target Canadian bound fisheries and should make a deal with them to do the same. Yeah I know they (us & them) have an agreement but neither side complies, it's all a political clusterfuck and we loose!!!

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#881683 - 01/22/14 10:40 AM Re: Revised draft policy for Grays Harbor fisheries [Re: Misguided]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Much of the Canadian taking of WA/OR fish is in response to AK taking theirs. WA and Canada can get into a **ssing match where they clobber each others fish and it still doesn't slow AK. Since nobody else takes "their" fish (AK), who cares?

#881770 - 01/22/14 10:09 PM Re: Revised draft policy for Grays Harbor fisheries [Re: ]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

……and the need for terminal fisheries only!

Each state or province gets out of it what they put into it. No interception.

Now, back to reality.

#881771 - 01/22/14 10:19 PM Re: Revised draft policy for Grays Harbor fisheries [Re: Eric]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Eric
……and the need for terminal fisheries only!

Each state or province gets out of it what they put into it. No interception.

Now, back to reality.

Unfortunately that would end all saltwater salmon fishing (outside of San Francisco Bay, Tillamook Bay, Lower Columbia River, Willapa Bay, Grays Harbor, and Inner Puget Sound) everywhere from Southern California to the Arctic Circle. As primarily a river fisherman that wouldn't cramp my style too much, but I suspect a few others might have a strong opinion about that...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#881776 - 01/22/14 10:41 PM Re: Revised draft policy for Grays Harbor fisheries [Re: Todd]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

No doubt Todd, it would be a change for some. But I wonder how loud the complaining would be when our returns jumped by 4 or 5-fold? The GH interception alone is mind-boggling and has been well-documented on this site.

#881780 - 01/22/14 11:26 PM Re: Revised draft policy for Grays Harbor fisheries [Re: Eric]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Can't get hung up on how many Hump Kings get caught in Sitka or Nootka... that's a losing battle. Get the QIN to stop netting 5 days/week? Probably just as unrealistic but would have a great impact on escapement.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |