THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#883254 - 02/01/14 01:27 PM Re: $500+ Rods, are they worth the money?????? [Re: GBL]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The blank is the most important part, of course...but there is a lot more in a fishing rod than just the blank and while the nicer/nicest components might not cost enough to justify a threefold price increase, they do make a rod much nicer to fish with.

I get my centerpin blanks from a guy in Oregon who makes them himself...for about $40 a pop. I'd probably buy a factory centerpin rod if someone would actually listen and stop making Great Lakes noodle rods for PNW steelhead fishermen, but instead I have to buy spey blanks and spin them up in centerpin configurations. Even with all the components they don't cost all that much for me to have them done.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#883285 - 02/01/14 04:18 PM Re: $500+ Rods, are they worth the money?????? [Re: Todd]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Centerpins and spoons?

Or are you branching out?

#883298 - 02/01/14 04:45 PM Re: $500+ Rods, are they worth the money?????? [Re: GBL]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: GBL
It is all about marketing and who will fall for the "sales pitch" for an expensive rod.
If you guys knew just how much carbon fiber goes into a high end rod vs a low end rod AND knew what these companies pay for that high modulus Carbon Fiber prepreg, you would not buy them.
The mark up is ridiculous.

True dat.

#883304 - 02/01/14 05:09 PM Re: $500+ Rods, are they worth the money?????? [Re: Eric]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: Eric
Centerpins and spoons?

Or are you branching out?

Nah, they're not for sale...but I've been fishing with them since college.

Fish on...

Todd

#883701 - 02/03/14 12:43 PM Re: $500+ Rods, are they worth the money?????? [Re: Todd]
Nick Berto Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Monroe, WA
New IMX rods are under $400 and well worth their value!

#883753 - 02/03/14 04:24 PM Re: $500+ Rods, are they worth the money?????? [Re: Todd]
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Todd
The blank is the most important part, of course...but there is a lot more in a fishing rod than just the blank and while the nicer/nicest components might not cost enough to justify a threefold price increase, they do make a rod much nicer to fish with.

I get my centerpin blanks from a guy in Oregon who makes them himself...for about $40 a pop. I'd probably buy a factory centerpin rod if someone would actually listen and stop making Great Lakes noodle rods for PNW steelhead fishermen, but instead I have to buy spey blanks and spin them up in centerpin configurations. Even with all the components they don't cost all that much for me to have them done.

Fish on...

Todd

Todd. I was just at NFC/Edge Rods a few days ago and we were talking centerpin blanks. They handed me a 13' rod that felt beefy. He said it was a 13'0" 8-17 lb blank. I told them they might have just made the perfect float rod for Washington pin anglers. It was a prototype I believe but I can find out more info if you are interested? It is built on (IM) material, similar to the old IMX but lighter and stronger.

#883755 - 02/03/14 04:35 PM Re: $500+ Rods, are they worth the money?????? [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

If it's actually an 8-17 then they are in the game. Would definitely like to hear more about it...because I am lazy and would rather have a factory rod that I like than build rods smile

Fish on...

Todd

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 918 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |