Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88296 - 03/23/00 03:43 AM Re: Vision Hooks
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
PLEASE, SUPERFLY. Comparing your hooks to Gamakatsu is pathetic. You know as well as I that they are no comparison.

[This message has been edited by salmontackler (edited 03-27-2000).]

#88297 - 03/23/00 09:35 AM Re: Vision Hooks
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I fish Gammi's all the time. If I do try out a new hook it is when I am fishing for chums. I am still with Gammi's....tell you anything?

#88298 - 03/23/00 10:45 AM Re: Vision Hooks
FishNJED Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Renton, WA, USA
As with any product, you will have some folks who love them and others who hate them. I personally, as well as my fishing buddy, love them. As mentioned, they are way cheaper than most and are very sharp to boot. We have been using them sucessfully for about 6 months with no problems to speak of. You can get them from Outdoor Emporium cheaply downtown Seattle if interested.

#88299 - 03/23/00 06:33 PM Re: Vision Hooks
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
I used vision hooks befor, I lked them alto. Only problem is.......I cant find them down here.
Superfly, Can I get them in bulk through you or someone else.
Gammies are good hooks, but you could go broke using them. I use VMC hooks. I can get 125 oh them for about 7 bucks. All ya do is touch em up witha file and you're ready to fish

#88300 - 03/24/00 12:01 AM Re: Vision Hooks
Humpie Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett WA U.S.A
Howdy,
I'm not being facetious when I say my favorite hook's are the one's I pull out of snag's. (I guess a lot of guy's don't wear chest wader's or just don't care to retrieve lost rig's) So I say snag, I mean buy Gonnacatchu's. The hook I'll spend money on is size 2 Danielson worm hook's. 39cent's for six. I usually won't use yarn, so I snip the snell off, slide a corkie on the mainline, tie a simple clinch knot and place a splitshot 18in. up the line. These hook's hold a shrimp chunk better than an egg hook. I'm dedicated to the KISS method!

#88301 - 03/24/00 04:24 AM Re: Vision Hooks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got a sample pack from superfly and would like to thank him for them. Thank you for the opportunity to evaluate the hooks and swivels.

I recieved bronze 3/0, red 3/0 hooks and some barrel swivels.
The swivels were of a very nice quality and would highly recommend you give them a try.

I found 1/3 of the hooks to be of a quality I could take out of the package and fish with. The second third of the hooks needed to be sharpened to meet my standards. And the last third were not of a quality I wished to fish at all. One of the hooks I received had the barb on the outside of the shaft. Two others had blunt points, another had the point circled. I also found that design of the point reminded me of a circle hook. Once into a fish I am sure it would hold nicely, the problem being I can't wait that long with steelhead to get the point.
The ability to get away from sharpening my hooks with vision hooks does not exist. Each hook needed to be inspected because of the inconsistancy in quality. If all the hooks had been of the best 1/3 quality they would get a sterling review from me....sorry :-(

I would recommend vision hooks above vmc, some eagle claw, but not above mustad or gamakatsu.

Hope this helps some of you make better decisions for hooks.
Tight lines

------------------
Marty
www.steelheader.net
marty@steelheader.net

#88302 - 03/24/00 11:15 AM Re: Vision Hooks
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
obviosly salmon tracker has never fished the hooks and has a problem with a free market society. I would like to know what store you work at. Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#88303 - 03/27/00 01:45 AM Re: Vision Hooks
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Superfly, stopped in at Auburn Sports and Marine to check out your hooks, I was looking for 4/0 octapus but the biggest I found were 3/0, is this the biggest hook you make or should I look elsewhere?

#88304 - 03/27/00 04:25 AM Re: Vision Hooks
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Superfly, just like the poster above "smilesforu" I found your hooks to be very inconsistent, undersized, and thick diametered.

[This message has been edited by salmontackler (edited 03-27-2000).]

#88305 - 03/27/00 12:52 PM Re: Vision Hooks
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

AKKings, We make up to 8/0 in the octapus style hook, they have not put in the bigger sizes as of yet. Maybe ask Troy or Jeff to put them in. If you would like e-mail me and I will send you some 5/0's to try. We have already sold thousands of these this year to guides and lodges in Alaska, as well as some terminal gear commercial fisherman. Thank you for the interest. and Salmon Tackler, When I looked at your profile before it said fishing retail, sorry if I made a mistake. Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

#88306 - 03/27/00 07:29 PM Re: Vision Hooks
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
I have to agree with "smilesforu". I recently bought a hundred pack of vision at the outdoor emporium and decided to fish them exclusively to see how they faired. I found quite a few that were out of the package that were rather dull, and a couple that had the barbs on the outside?? I found that the hooks dulled quickly. The points are sharp but thin and the slightest knick on the bottom would dull them, I would keep inspecting the hooks after a slight snag and quickly found this out. I landed a few nice fish with these hooks but lost eight consecutive fish using these hooks. Fish that were hooked for a while, would suddenly come unpinned?? I quickly made the decision to stop using vision, and got rid of the remaining hooks. Though vision hooks are cheaper(less than half of Gammies) they don't seem as durable. I am back to gammies, and unless I hear rave reviews about another hook, I am hesitant to try another.--mike

#88307 - 03/28/00 11:55 PM Re: Vision Hooks
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

I guess it is time to go on the offensive since so many of you out there think you are experts.
First to Kore, The Hooks do not bend over or dull as easy as you say they do, they are made of the exact type of steel that Gammies are, and they are chemically sharpend like gammies giving them the same sharp point. I will give you the fact that the quality control is not up to snuff yet, I am working on that, but we have only been around for a short while, obviously you don't remember all the problems gammy had there first 5 years in this country, I think my learning curve is far ahead of where they were at this time in the game. As for losing eight fish in a row, get real.
To salmontackler, the only hook on the market with smaller wire diameter is the Gammy,you make it sound like it is a 2x wire, why don't you put a mic on it and see for yourself.
to smiles for you, the visions are definatley better than the vmc's, eagle claw and mustads, I don't know what you are smokin up there in P.A, like I said we are working on quality control and should improve greatly when I change packagers. If the hooks were as bad as all of you say they are I would not be selling thousands upon thousands of them to guides. I sell more hooks to guides in this state than any other manufacturer. Besides they are all x-gammy staffers and rave about how good the hooks are, if you want some refrences let me know and I will post them.
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

#88308 - 03/29/00 01:57 AM Re: Vision Hooks
side slider Offline
Parr

it is a free world superflop. if you would have opened this post and then just took the criticism and made the hooks better I would have at least looked at the hooks. now when I see them all I will think of is this defensive little man who still chases chick.

#88309 - 03/29/00 02:08 AM Re: Vision Hooks
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
Give us a list of guides you sell to!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#88310 - 03/29/00 02:27 AM Re: Vision Hooks
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Superfly

I never said the hooks bent, I said the points are thinner and sharper and dull easy. Try it for yourself. Also buy a hundred pack of vision hooks dump them out and go through them you will find many that are sub par. As for me losing eight fish, I would say we should go fishing sometime, but I usually go fishing to get away from attitudes such as yours. If you don't want feed back on something, don't post it. --mike

#88311 - 03/29/00 04:43 AM Re: Vision Hooks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Superfly
If you had looked at what you sent me as samples you would have gotten a good review. Because you wouldn't send them if you did!! I did find 1/3 to be of superior quality. The other 2/3 were crap. On the quality alone they don't match the consistantency of any other manufacturer. Who wants to have to sort their hooks to see which ones they can use?.....

On the best of the hooks you sent I did find them as sharp as gammies, but hell that is only 1/3. The 2/3 is the majority of your hooks....What the hell you smoking....I was honest in what I said about your hooks. If you bring all your hooks up to the top 1/3 then you got some fine hooks. I hope the criticism improves your hooks quality control!!!!!

#88312 - 03/29/00 08:32 AM Re: Vision Hooks
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Guides huh? A 100 dollar sticker on the side of your boat makes you an expert? I think not! Lets see if some of the "true greats" are on your sales list! POST THAT LIST! Sup...

#88313 - 03/29/00 10:18 AM Re: Vision Hooks
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

to All, this post has given me information that will improve the Vision Product. I have been fighting the quality control battle for some time. The only way for me to improve it was to change packagers which is a huge task in itself and is being done now to improve the quality of the hooks that are on the shelves for the consumers to buy. I never asked to Be attacked Personally, but obviously there are still people out there that have nothing better to do. I am sorry for the way you feel , but I refuse to be that way , Grow up.
AS for a list of guides Here are a few Names Forks Area: Larry Scott, Bob Kratzer, Mike Zavadlov
Guides who fish all over: Chuck Wickens,Sean Orr , Don KInsey,Mike Kelly,Rich Mercado,Dan Little
Seattle area Guides: David Lee, Rod Bush,Jim Harrington, Doug Palmer, Chris Olsen, Bob Hammond
S.W Washington guides: Mike Sexton, Bear( Mike Pallas) Joe Little, Rich Bogle, Victor and Dawna's giude service.
Quinalt Guides: Letty potter, John Bryson (Tater) Robin Rhoades.
this is some of the guides I sell to , I hope it helps. Everyone have a good day!
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

#88314 - 03/29/00 12:38 PM Re: Vision Hooks
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Your original claim was that and I quote..."definetly as sharp right out of the box". Now if you'd have said 1/3 are as sharp and were working on the other 2/3rds, obiously some of us would have taken a differnt stance! I fish in Forks and bought a pack there. They were inconsistant but I like the price. And the ones that were good were really good. Most people have open minds and when the quality is up to our/or there standards then possibly we will give them another chance. At least I will. And hopefully some how some way sombody can produce a hook that is comparable to a Gammy...CONSISTANTLY. But until then youll have to keep working on those quality guys...
Let em read these posts...that may get there attention.
Believe me I deal with Quality too. Im an Eng at a corp whos iso9001 certified.
Anyway sorry for any bad feelings if there are any. But these reviews wiil help in the long run and your doing the right thing by asking the Hard Cores of the Sport side! We dont care what it costs if it greatly helps our success rate. I remember when catching 1 or 2 steelies a month was considered good, but now a slow day is 1 fish a day and pretty good is 3... Funny how it gets competitive. But man we need a hook that we dont have to worry about, after all there are plenty of other things in a battle with a hog you should be worring about. Not your terminal gear. Let us know when we should re-evaluate? Id be happy too!

By the way there are some really respected guides on that list. Thanks for the post!

Good fishing...

Bob D

#88315 - 03/29/00 08:57 PM Re: Vision Hooks
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Thanks for the post Bob D, I am working on the quality side of things like I said. I am going to have to take a trip to Asia this June or July in fact and visit the factories with my trading company reps. Besides being on the phone twice a week in the middle of the night gets old after a while, but they understand that we americans want A-1 quality first and formost, then price. I have had absolutley no problems with the hooks from size 1 and smaller, it is the 1/0 and up where I need to crack down on.
One thing I know is that I have to figure a way to use our Bass hooks in steelhead and Salmon fishing, they are just awsome, I could not believe it when I recieved the samples, we ordered right away and already have some large players in the Bass side of things very interested. also coming are si-wash, trebles ,Barbless and 4 styles of fly hooks.
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1426 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |