Page 11 of 25 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#884735 - 02/09/14 11:24 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: Banned User

I hate to take issue with coley, but I do like a straight eye over an upturned. Hence my affinity for the 5 degree mcneese hooks.

I guess I was speaking more to fish catching functionality (shanks specifically) in making that statement. From a tying standpoint, I agree entirely. Generally speaking, I don't think eye orientation means much when it comes to how a fly fishes and/or swims

And for the record, you love to take issue with anyone, me included smile

Blind eye...oh my. Full ascot alert indeed.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#884742 - 02/09/14 11:54 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Interesting. Why wouldn't a down eye then be best seeing as how it's angle of pull levers the point and bend into place? I tend to think that the long shank is the traditional hooks undoing when it comes to keeping fish on, angle and direction of the eye being insignificant by comparison.

That having been said, I do trust your judgement and experience and if you say it is so, I'm inclined to believe. I will require articulation and factual support at some point, preferably shared riverside and/or whilst enjoying a wee dram.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#884746 - 02/10/14 12:02 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

KK, going full on spey pride? I knew it wouldn't take long for him break out in a pink fanny pack...

#884804 - 02/10/14 12:41 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Nick,

If you have a bunch of streamer hooks, those would make great shanks for tying on. Just add a wire or braid loop as Coley mentioned, to use your favorite octopus style hook as the stinger. I have a friend who uses 25# Maxima for his stinger loops. He says they have never pulled loose; he adds super glue to the thread as he lashes in on the shank.

Anybody got a good sculpin pattern that both looks bulky but sinks well? I've seen some with rabbit that look good, but also look like they need a half ounce of lead to get them down. Mrs. Salmo and I are going to Fernie, B.C. in Sept. to fish for cutthroat, but there's a lot of fishing for some very large bull trout also. I could tie up a half chicken sized sculpin with lots of weight, but that would take an 8 wt Spey rod to cast. I'm thinking along the lines of a sculpin streamer pattern that I can chuck out with a single hand 7 wt.

Sg

#884814 - 02/10/14 01:40 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

See the Sex Dungeon pattern I posted previously. It looks bulky but most of the materials are light and sink quickly. It's easy to cast as you require and has great action in the water. I added the pectoral fins to Galloup's pattern for a more sculpiny look.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#884830 - 02/10/14 02:39 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
+1 on the Sex Dungeon. Another one is the Zoo Cougar. I've taken many nice Browns in Michigan on both patterns. If ol' wary, night feeding Browns will eat it - anything will eat it.

#884833 - 02/10/14 03:18 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: NickD90]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I like the Whitlock sculpin quite a bit as well.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#884897 - 02/10/14 10:24 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
A few recent ditch pickle ties. grin
I think the Murdich Minnows would work for other species as well.
SF

#884908 - 02/10/14 10:56 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: stonefish]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

A smaller version of those Murdich minnows would make a nice spring smolt/dry pattern. I like em.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#884939 - 02/11/14 07:26 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Looks like the rivers are gonna blow for the next 10 days. Small window today in forks. Rain wont start till about noon then the spigot is full on at about 4 . Off wok at 6 am and on the road to put the Polish II series to work.

BU I will be passing the junction about 0700 or so.

#885071 - 02/11/14 11:43 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: metaladdiction]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Quick and dirty step-by-step of a quick and dirty EP Intruder style fly for Nick.

I almost feel bad for using "intruder" to describe these types of utility flies as the Skagit Master's would surely call blasphemy and ban me from the ascot club forever for the sacrilege.

The intruder style, generally speaking, is a thin bodied fly with a high profile head and skirt (for lack of a better term) that are essentially symmetrical. The profile is lot easier to define or pin point than the materials, of which there is an endless pool of possible combinations.

Ill point out a couple of other signatures or trademark features of the style as we go along. I think this style of fly has become poplar for a number of reasons, they tend to be easy to cast because of their relatively minimal bulk and or weight. Despite their relatively minimal bulk and weight, they maintain a substantial profile and don't thin out in heavier currents. The materials used tend to be long, webby and have great action in the water. The stinger/hangback hook rigging hooks and retains fish well, etc. etc.

In summary, the general template for this fly makes it easy to incorporate all of the fishy characteristics of color, contrast and movement in a user friendly design. The one potential downside is that it does take a bit of effort to twist them up, but no more so than many other classic and/or "modern" patterns once you get rolling. Once you get in the groove, cranking out a simple yet functional version shouldn't take more than 15 minutes if you pause to sip your favorite beverage at fairly regular intervals.

First test drive of the new fly tying station. I needed something that was a little more orderly and kid proof than my previous pile of plastic drawers and bags.

I learned a new word a few days back, credenza. Apparently it means folding fly tying table in greek.

As previously mentioned, just about any shank will do. Either cut a cheap hook down to length or use something pre-made like a Waddington shank or spinner shaft. I tend to like my shanks shorter rather than longer as a shorter shank hook will let more of the materials move and work as compared to a longer shank on a fly of the same length.

I like the 25mm Waddington shanks though lately I've been buying the 45mm and cutting them in half. Two 20mm shanks for the price of one smile

For the trailer/stinger hook loop I've been digging Senyo's Intruder wire though braid, dacron, etc all work just fine.

Lash on your hook loop. If you are unsure of how long to leave the loop, attach your hook, adjust the loop length so that you an easily place and remove the hook, and then finish wrapping the wire to the shank.

I put a 180 degree bend in the wire which virtually guarantees it will never pull out. Put some glue on it if you must, but you don't need it.

Tie in a tail. I used ostrich and crystal flash here.

One of the signature characteristics of the intruder is the flare of the materials in the head and skirt section of the fly. This is achieve a few different ways. One, you need a nice, fairly even diameter ball or base wrap that will push everything you tie on top of it up and out. Next, you need to stack some stiffer material on top of it to prop up softer and more active materials that you might layer on later. Again the material combinations are endless, but getting the characteristics right is key to winding up with a fishy end result.

Here I've used a turn or two of polar chenille which adds some flash and well as the needed base shape for the flare. Synthetic dubbing materials like ice dub are also a popular. Go high contrast or match the body color, your choice.

Next, palmer or dub in a layer of something that will prop up whatever else you decide to put on top. Keep this layer shorter and lower profile and add length as you layer on top and you'll preserve the movement of the longer materials. Here I am using whiting hen hackle which is a little soft for the purpose but it works. Polar bear is awesome and other coarse but user friendly hairs like fox are great.

On top of the whiting I added one turn of the Enrico Puglisi 's Anadromous Brush. This fly won't show it but I'll often add another layer of something like schlappen or guinea on top of the brush for some more color and contrast.

Add some longer, swimmy materials. Here I am using a few barbs of rhea and a few of amherst tail. You can dub them in a loop and then palmer or just add them individually. Keep them pretty thin and well spaced for the best action.

Tie in your body material, some ribbing, and a body hackle. I used diamond braid for the body, large largartun tinsel for the rib, and grizzly for the body hackle.

Bring your body materials forward.

Then repeat everything that you did for the skirt section of the fly at the head. Sometimes I like to put one or two turns of x-select marabou at the head which adds some nice flowy movement to the fly which compliments the stiffer amherst and rhea that take a little more turbulence to move.

Toss some wings on there if you are so inclined. Style points for eyes if you take the time.

Try out a variety of colors.

Repeat as needed.

Go fishing and catch a fish.

Many different ways to skin the intruder style cat. Playing around with different materials is lots of fun can keep you entertained for days. I am always surprised (for better and worse) when I give these flies the swim test.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#885085 - 02/12/14 12:49 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Simply Awesome.

#885122 - 02/12/14 12:19 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: NickD90]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley, for a bait chucker you wear the ascot very, very well. That's some nice work there, both the flies and the photo essay.

Sg

#885129 - 02/12/14 12:52 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Bait slinger, hardware chucker, fly flinger, plug puller.

Or of you prefer, fisherman smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#885134 - 02/12/14 01:02 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Nice tutorial Coley. thumbs
I've never tied up a Intruder, but you've inspired me to do so.
I don't have quite the right feathers. I'll see what I can come up with material wise to crank something out that might resemble a Intruder out this weekend.
SF

#885135 - 02/12/14 01:05 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: ColeyG

In your case Fish Catcher is a better fit.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#885159 - 02/12/14 02:35 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Jerry Garcia]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Coley comes through. Hit the Solduc yesterday before the hard rains. Nice green color. No takes, but the polish series all swam well. Stopped early enough to stop at Waters West in PA. Cool shop lots of material and the owner does alot of custom dyes. Got out of there for under a hundy.

#885238 - 02/12/14 09:18 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

Conceptually inclusiveness is so PC, but being in the biz all these years, "fisherman" extends to draggers, mid-trawlers, high seas gillnet, terminal area gillnet, purse seine, trollers, long-liners, pots and traps and you name it. I don't have the same level of comfort with every method that lives under the "fisherman" umbrella.

#885240 - 02/12/14 09:22 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Touché!

Is "angler" narrow enough for you, or does that descriptor corral too much riff raff for your liking?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#885282 - 02/13/14 12:45 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Free_Globbin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Thanks for the awesome tutorial Coley. I gotta say, this thread has inspired to start tying again.

Page 11 of 25 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24 25 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |