THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88503 - 03/29/00 09:56 PM Re: The really really big one!
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
hey swami, just get a close look at the scales on the back of that bid fish. if you look real good you will notice diffinent large scale swirls, ie: king salmon!!!!!
look close at a large steelhead and it will look just like a rainbow with small scales. don't hardly need to scale out a steelhead, just a hard rinse under the hose works.

thanks elmtree

#88504 - 03/29/00 09:58 PM Re: The really really big one!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Curt,

Very well might be a king, but the only visible gum line is on the upper right side. You can't even see the lower gumline because the angle at which the fish is being held. As in, both silvers and kings have black around their mnouths, but only silvers have that white line along their gums.

I'm sure B-RUN and the other guys from the eastside know an eastside king from a steelhead, so I'll just take their word for it.

Fish on..........

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#88505 - 03/29/00 11:05 PM Re: The really really big one!
JEB Offline
Parr

Loc: Lewiston, Idaho
The Dworshak hatchery gets its share of 40ish steelhead -- inches, not pounds. Guys do pull the occasional chinook out of the Clearwater, and that fish is assuredly one of them. Incidentally, it looks as if Idaho Fish and Game is going to OK a spring Chinook season on the Clearwater(hatchery run of course), probably for a couple weeks in June. Decision is due when F&G Commission meets in early April.

#88506 - 03/29/00 11:06 PM Re: The really really big one!
SBC Offline
Parr

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho 83858
It's a king and fall kings are off limits in the Clearwater. I wonder if the gamies know about that one?

#88507 - 03/30/00 12:13 AM Re: The really really big one!
Swami Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett,Wa
You want to see another dead 30lb steelhead go to http://www.northwestangling.com/ what a tail, what a shame.

#88508 - 03/30/00 08:58 AM Re: The really really big one!
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
One point to be made, they let that fish go!! Poor fish handling I know but they claim it swam off. The thing that makes it a freak is this. There are a very few fall chinook that come up the clearwater. These fish are on the small side ( 10 lbs or so) The spring run is larger and so are the fish. This fish was caught in november or december if I remember correctly. All spring fish would have been dead months ago. So where did it come from??? I think it was a totally screwed up spring fish that had its time clock way out of wack. I also belive that it was from the Hanford area in the columbia and somehow got lost. It would weigh well over 40 pounds which in itself would be a freak for an Idaho fish. As for 40 pounders in the hatchery.. I doubt that very much. I know they have had some 30's and back in the day of north fork clearwater natives 30 was not common but happened. The Idaho and Washington state record steelhead where both caught the same day in like 1974 or 1973 and both were clearwater B-run bucks. Both were in the mid 30's but I don't recall the actual weights.

#88509 - 03/30/00 02:17 PM Re: The really really big one!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I agree. It looks like a lost upriver bright.

Look at the head on this fish. Damn near the same, including the white coloration on the jaws.
http://staff.washington.edu/parker/salmon05.html

Parker

#88510 - 03/30/00 07:43 PM Re: The really really big one!
fishaholic Offline
Alevin

Potter,

That's a huge steelhead. Something most of us will never catch in a lifetime. I do have one question though. Why do many of the guides on the quinault choose to kill these magnificent fish? I can see killing a limit of 8 to 12 pounders provided there's a good return of fish, however, these larger fish are so few and far between. It would make more sense to me to release them and let them pass on their genes to the next generation of steelies. Nowadays a very good mount can be made from a picture and the fish can be release to fight another day. If everyone bonks a 25 to 30 pound steelhead eventually these size fish aren't going to be around very long. I can tell you there are alot of people that are more willing to pay big money for a legitamate shot at a 25lb to 30lb steelhead - more so than sheer numbers of fish. Just a thought. Tight lines!

#88511 - 03/31/00 03:31 AM Re: The really really big one!
JEB Offline
Parr

B-Run:

Your last post on this topic got me wondering, so I did some research. Washington state record (summer run) is 35 pounds, 1 ounce and was caught on lower Snake. Idaho record is 30.2 from the Clearwater. Both were caught in 1973; records didn't specify exact dates, but I've also heard that they were caught on same day (in the confluence, I presume). Think Idaho record fish was on display at now defunct Dave's Husky Sport Shop in Lewiston Orchards. It was a brute.

[This message has been edited by JEB (edited 03-31-2000).]

#88512 - 04/01/00 02:50 AM Re: The really really big one!
Bottomfeeder Offline
Fry

Loc: Richland, WA, USA
Hey Swami you suck, both pictures you posted are KING SALMON, not steelhead. You need to attend some sort of fish identification class. Think before you post!

#88513 - 04/01/00 03:45 AM Re: The really really big one!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bottomfeeder
The last one Swami posted from Northwestangling was no salmon. That sir is one big ass steelhead in full spawning colors!!!! Picture doesn't do it justice

#88514 - 04/01/00 07:30 AM Re: The really really big one!
Swami Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett,Wa
My point is that its dead, not on the bottom of the river.So it can feed its kids. The last one is a big steely for sure.

#88515 - 04/01/00 02:41 PM Re: The really really big one!
JEB Offline
Parr

Funny, image ID of that picture on Northwestangling says it's a 46-pound salmon. I'm hardly an ichthyologist, but if the computer geek who constructed that web site simply misidentified the species, then that truly is one "big-ass" steelie.

#88516 - 04/01/00 05:12 PM Re: The really really big one!
TK Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
One more interesting fact about those 30 lb state record B-run bucks.....they were only 2 years old!

TK

#88517 - 04/02/00 01:29 AM Re: The really really big one!
Bottomfeeder Offline
Fry

Loc: Richland, WA, USA
JEB, you are correct and Smilesforu should join Swami for a fish identification class. The second post of Swami's is a KING! Smileforu, can you not tell the difference between a fork tailed beedy-eyed king and a rainbow trout that went to sea? THAT LAST POST OF SWAMI'S IS NOT A STEELHEAD, YOU LOOK WORSE THAN HE DOES, THAT IS A CHINOOK SALMON!

#88518 - 04/02/00 03:01 AM Re: The really really big one!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bottom feeder we are talking about the fish on the daily pictures page Not the front salmon picture. Here is the full link so you can see what tail we are talking about.
http://www.northwestangling.com/photogal/index.html

#88519 - 04/03/00 12:59 AM Re: The really really big one!
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
what do all of these photos have in common?

They are terrible pictures of UGLY fish.

out, salmontackelr

#88520 - 04/03/00 11:27 AM Re: The really really big one!
LMT Offline
Egg

Loc: Salem,OR,USA
About the 30 lb steelhead, I think you guys are looking at the wrong picture. The first picture you see on the posting about the 30 pounder is a chinook, just scroll down to the third picture and you will see a hog of a steelhead and there is no question that this is a steelhead. Hopefully this will clear up some of the debate about chinook vs steelhead, If I am wrong ..........nevermind. Have a nice day. LMT

[This message has been edited by LMT (edited 04-03-2000).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cap'n Ron, Fred N, gvbest, Ray S.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |