meathunter Offline
Habitual Board Troll

how to imx compare to glx?

#887800 - 03/04/14 11:23 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: meathunter]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: meathunter

Good question, I can tell you I can't tell the difference between my IMX and the new IMX series. If anything I think the new rods are heavier.

#887801 - 03/04/14 11:48 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Salman]
big.fishy
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Salman

Good question, I can tell you I can't tell the difference between my IMX and the new IMX series. If anything I think the new rods are heavier.

I agree that the new rods feel heavier. I use my 1084 all the time and bought a new imx 1104 which feels a lot heavier....but it is two inches longer.. Just doesn't seem like it should be that much heavier for 2". I have caught a few fish on the new imx 1104 and it may just be me but I feel that there is way more sensitivity in my old 1084. I keep trying to get used to the new imx but I keep going back to the 1084. Its almost night and day for me. The 1104 sure does feel good once there is a fish on the other end of it though.

#887852 - 03/05/14 12:24 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Any rod feelz good with a fish on the end of it.....Just sayin.Interested in the IMX-GLX comparison.Good luck,

SZ

#887860 - 03/05/14 12:50 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Damn I'm really bummed to hear this. We haven't gotten any of the new rods down here in CA yet for me to hold, but I was counting on the new 1086c to finally be my answer to a 10-20lb drift rod for Kings that isn't tip heavy and had an exposed blank reel seat. Damnit!

#888423 - 03/10/14 08:51 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Loomis_Shimano_Rep Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: big.fishy

I agree that the new rods feel heavier. I use my 1084 all the time and bought a new imx 1104 which feels a lot heavier....but it is two inches longer.. Just doesn't seem like it should be that much heavier for 2". I have caught a few fish on the new imx 1104 and it may just be me but I feel that there is way more sensitivity in my old 1084. I keep trying to get used to the new imx but I keep going back to the 1084. Its almost night and day for me. The 1104 sure does feel good once there is a fish on the other end of it though.

The 1104 versus a 1084 isn't exactly comparing apples to oranges. You're talking 2" longer, and extra guides. As far as the rod not being the old 1084, you're spot on, its not. It isn't meant to be, which is why we kept the classic IMX's (1141, 1082, 1084, 1025, 1021) unchanged. The new IMX's are overall a slower action than the classic IMX's. Mostly due to material changes, and increased strength/durability. Talking about sensitivity, I think without a doubt the new rods are more sensitive, so have the people I've talked to that have fished them, but to each their own.

#888424 - 03/10/14 08:52 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Salman]
Loomis_Shimano_Rep Offline
Fry

What rods are you comparing? Keep in mind these rods aren't meant to replace the old IMX rods, they're made to replace the Steelhead series rods. Classic IMX's are still being made, unchanged.

#888427 - 03/10/14 08:59 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Loomis_Shimano_Rep]
Jet Offline
Parr

You guy's should drop the gear rods, and concentrate on the fly flingers, I know WDFW is.

#888445 - 03/10/14 11:35 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Loomis_Shimano_Rep]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

One of the shops down here is finally getting some of the new rods in this week. Can't wait to hold a few and form my own opinion. Will post my impressions here FWIW.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (03/10/14 11:35 PM)

#888472 - 03/11/14 10:25 AM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Loomis_Shimano_Rep]
big.fishy
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Loomis_Shimano_Rep

What rods are you comparing? Keep in mind these rods aren't meant to replace the old IMX rods, they're made to replace the Steelhead series rods. Classic IMX's are still being made, unchanged.

The other day I called and spoke with an associate at loomis, I targeted questions about the new imx rods and the old imx. Specifically, I asked about the discontinuing of the old lineups and what will still be available. Since I saw that there was a few of the old imx rods including the 1084 and 1082 in the classic steelhead section I asked if those will still be in production. He said that they are old inventory and once those are sold out they will not be made anymore. He said that the new imx rods are taking the place of them. I was bummed to hear that because I love the old imx 1084 which he said won't be in production anymore.

Now you are saying something completely different.

#888473 - 03/11/14 10:51 AM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
widge Offline
Smolt

Loc: Pierce county
Been a loyal Loomis user since the IM6. We recently fished with the new series 1104C, 1165C and 1262C for a few days. I'm sorry to say, compared to the Lamiglas SI, St. Croix Legend and Fetha' Styx Homewater rods these new rods are heavy and slow The 1262 is very tip heavy compared to other rods of the same type. For the high price you would expect a much better product. It seems as though innovation and fishabilty went out the door with Gary.

Edited by widge (03/11/14 10:54 AM)

#888476 - 03/11/14 11:08 AM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Big Fishy - I think you got some bad info. Seems there is some confusion out there, but here's what my buddy who works at Loomis told me...those rods that have equivalents in the new lineup will go away from the old lineup once existing inventory is gone. The HSR 1021c is an example. Those rods that do NOT have an equivalent in the new lineup will remain in production as part of the classic line. Examples would be 1084c and 1025c. My buddy is in a position there where he has to know this stuff, so I believe his version of this. Besides, why would Loomis discontinue the 1084c or 1025c in IMX - two of their best selling rods!?

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (03/11/14 12:56 PM)

#888489 - 03/11/14 01:00 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: widge]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: widge
It seems as though innovation and fishabilty went out the door with Gary.

You do realize that some of their best stuff has come out after Gary left? Ever heard of NRX? The Steelhead Series? I'm not defending the new IMX line - have not had a chance to check them out yet - but to say that Loomis hasn't done anything since Gary was there is flat wrong.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (03/11/14 01:01 PM)

#888492 - 03/11/14 01:48 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
big.fishy
Unregistered

Nor Cal- I figured the info I got over the phone was bad. Discontinuing the rods you mentioned would be a mistake.Thanks for the clear up. My question would be; would the classic 1084, 1025, 1082, etc be in the old imx or the new imx? Might be a dumb question, so I might be expecting a dumb answer.

#888493 - 03/11/14 01:56 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Classic = old lineup, so those rods will stay in the old "classic" line for the time being. Not sure if there are plans to move any of those rods to the new lineup - that seems like it would make sense from an ease of production standpoint, but have not heard that yet.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (03/11/14 01:57 PM)

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 955 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |