Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#886162 - 02/19/14 10:11 AM Halibut Gaff
RobJob Offline
Fry

Been a big water (ocean) boat ho for tooooo many years.
Purchased an 18' boat last year for Puget Sound Salmon & Hood Canal shrimp/crab. Unfortunately, I got "jones'd" on getting Halibut then again on Tuna fishing last year. Fed up, I traded my 1year old 18 footer and purchased my own 2014 Boulton 22 foot boat so I can go out with the "big kids" and catch what I want when I want.
Looking to start outfitting it for Halibut, then Tuna, so here's where the conundrums begin...

What do you think is the best gaff for Halibut?
The gaff's we used on friends boat was a wooden handled one that was around 50 years old (was his dads from way back). Haven't ever seen one like it...~3' long round wood handle with a 2"-3" gap stainless hook.
Usually carried a harpoon but we never used it; probably should have a couple times when we hooked into 80+lb halibut. Just pulled their head to the side of the boat and bashed the skulls with the bat until mushy, pulled them aboard with no issues.

Part 2 is Best gaff for Tuna?
Friends boats we had 3 gaff's onboard: from 4' to 6' long, aluminum handles and I'm thinking a 2" gap stainless hook. (I think aftco's)

Well, what do you all think? Please let me know thoughts, worries, stories etc. so I can try to make a good decision that won't leave me stranded (broken or undersized/oversized gaff) with a fish on the line and no way of getting it onboard the boat.

#886175 - 02/19/14 12:19 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: RobJob]
topwater Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
best gaff for halibut is a long one, so you don't have to bend over and swing. All you do is stand tall, hold the gaff in the water, let the halibut's slide underneath, and lift. much more precise than those silly little ones most people have.

belly-gaffed halibut this way up to 135 lbs with no need for harpoons.

#886186 - 02/19/14 01:36 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: topwater]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Better get a harpoon also.Good luck,

SZ

#886204 - 02/19/14 03:20 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
And a 410 to shoot them in the head!

#886331 - 02/20/14 08:56 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: GBL]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
22 Boulton I'd say 6ft handles. 5-6" hook for getting halibut though the peck fins, and a 2-3" hook for head shots on Albacore. Fiberglass handle gaffs rattle less the aluminum and are quite light. This company makes a real nice gaff with cork tape grips and offer 2-5" hooks. http://www.precisionmarinehardware.com/html/gaffs.html

#886449 - 02/21/14 01:22 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: Jaydee]
the machinist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis WA
Go to a commercial fishing supply store. These commercial guys have been using gaffs for years & a good store should be able to get about anything you would need.

#886492 - 02/21/14 05:21 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: the machinist]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA
I agree on the above mentioned gaffs, but one thing I see that hasn't been mentioned that I find to be an essential tool for big butts is a shark hook or flying gaff. The ones to use are the mustad 14/0 shark hooks. They are 8 inches long, simply attach a length of strong rope and your good to go. Comes in handy when tying up large butts on a small boat along with many other uses. You can order them on www.pacificnetandtwine.ca along with gaffs and harpoons or I believe SeaMar has them as well. As far as gaffs and harpoons, I make my own out of solid glass rod blanks. You can find the parts to build your own pretty easy. If your can't find some that work for ya or don't want to build some and want some custom ones built just send a pm and I can hook ya up. Good Luck.

Edited by Castaway (02/21/14 05:22 PM)

#886494 - 02/21/14 05:34 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: GBL]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: GBL
And a 410 to shoot them in the head!

I prefer a .45 with hollow points, but this thread is about gaffs grin

Rogue and I have been bringing and using two gaffs over the last several years, and I can think of a few times we were very glad to have two gaffs aboard. The name of the game is to be prepared for anything, so having a long primary and shorter backup is simply good preparedness.

Most boats have mooring lines that will quickly double as a line you can use to hog tie a fish, but make sure you have a good rope with a slip-knot loop made in the end of it handy too.

#886577 - 02/22/14 04:13 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: Sky-Guy]
the machinist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis WA
I agree with two gaffs, but rather like the long "D" handled hay hooks for pulling them aboard OR those big flying gaffs tied to a rope.

#886579 - 02/22/14 05:17 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: the machinist]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Get a gaff with a straight "hook" on it like the DANIELSON - GAFF HOOK COMMERCIAL 32". I gaffed thousands of halibut and salmon when I was trolling/longlineing. The round hooked ones are worthless.

#886617 - 02/23/14 01:37 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: Keta]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA
Originally Posted By: Keta
Get a gaff with a straight "hook" on it like the DANIELSON - GAFF HOOK COMMERCIAL 32". I gaffed thousands of halibut and salmon when I was trolling/longlineing. The round hooked ones are worthless.

+1

#886619 - 02/23/14 01:46 PM Re: Halibut Gaff [Re: Castaway]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |