I found this recipe a while back and use it exclusively from clams anymore. Give it a shot!
You will need: Razor clams, cleaned. (The fresher the better)
Eggs, beaten (however many you need for your egg wash).
Ritz Crackers, regular kind (not the low-fat or low-sodium varieties), crushed. Enough to coat the clams.
Butter, melted. (Margarine works)
Preparation: Turn your oven broiler on to high. It needs to be HOT.
1. Dip the cleaned clams in the egg wash.
2. Coat well with crushed Ritz crackers.
3. Lay the clams out, single layer, on a greased baking sheet. (Lining the sheet with foil first makes easier clean up)
4. Drizzle the clams with melted butter, more or less to taste. (Without it you’ll get dry clams)
1. Put the pan on the top oven rack under the HOT broiler.
2. Broil 3 minutes. Turn over. Broil 3 more minutes, and they’re done. Avoid over-cooking or the clams get rubbery.
The key is a HOT broiler or oven. You can do this in a HOT (500-degree) oven, without having to turn the clams over, but I’m not sure of the time. I prefer the broiler, thank you.
Done right, the clams are fork tender. And with no grease or oil spatter and mess from a frying pan, you’ll probably never want to fry a clam again!
You know something bad is going to happen when you hear..."Hey, hold my beer and watch this"