Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#887830 - 03/05/14 10:09 AM another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper
crawdadhunter Offline
Fry

Loc: Winlock,WA
I read in the Longview news paper yesterday that we'll get one more sat. to dip smelt. Have not seen any information on wdfw site yet but lets assume the paper is correct. I''ll check with wdfw this morning to confirm this. The water flows are way up and rising, so please be safe. Put a life jacket on kids or yourself its not a bad thing. Heavy buckets to all

#887853 - 03/05/14 12:28 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: crawdadhunter]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Other than using them as bait for sturgeon, what does one do with smelt? Really. When I was a kid we would go down to the Cowlitz to dip smelt because anything that might be called fishing was automatically fun. But then what to do with all those dang smelt? I remember cleaning hundreds of them at a time with my step-brother, and then my mom would roll them in flour and then fry them up in oil. And there was absolutely nothing good about them as food. Does anyone actually like to eat them? I mean, just because fish protein is healthy doesn't mean it's good food.

Sg

#887854 - 03/05/14 12:31 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: Salmo g.]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

DEE LEE CIOUS

Headed out myself there on Saturday morning. I'm already fasting between now and Saturday, so that I can stuff my belly full of these fried buggers by the weekend.

#887949 - 03/05/14 07:46 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: cheapskate]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
The surf smelt are even better........

#887963 - 03/05/14 09:43 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: N W Panhandler]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I absolutely love fried smelt. They are for sure in my top 10 favorite fish and I have tried quite a few varieties of fish.

I also love them smoked. I have fond memories of sneaking into dads smokehouse to get a handful of smelt to munch on. Delicious!!!

I will not be able to go this weekend as I have a trip planned. But if I could find them in the store I would for sure buy a few pounds.

Edited by Dave Vedder (03/05/14 09:45 PM)

#887964 - 03/05/14 09:49 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: Dave Vedder]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Dave -

The Central Market in Mill Creek had fresh smelt 3 days ago. They looked great and I regret not pulling the trigger...

#887982 - 03/05/14 11:20 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: NickD90]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Nick

That's a ways out of my way, but i will check it out.

Thanks!

Edited by Dave Vedder (03/05/14 11:21 PM)

#887984 - 03/05/14 11:33 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: Dave Vedder]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
Last I heard was that NO Body had dipped any?

#887986 - 03/05/14 11:46 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: chasbo]
NickD90 Offline

That sux on the strike outs. I was hoping to hear something good that might temp me to get back into it. Last time I smelted was in college at Michigan State in the mid 90's. Those great lake smelt are much smaller than their west coast cousins, but they were perfect for a quick clip and fry. I could eat pounds of em' like French fries. Sooo flippin' good. We used to get plastered drunk and then go get buckets and buckets and buckets of em'. I'm actually surprised I didn't drown. Good times...

Edited by NickD90 (03/05/14 11:47 PM)

#887990 - 03/06/14 12:25 AM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: NickD90]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

I had smelt once at a friends house. They were fried whole. Broke the heads off and pulled the guts out. Yuk. Never again. I stick with fish that I can clean and can provide a few meals out of one fish.

How do you really clean all those little things? Seems like to much effort for so little benefit. But, then again, so does steelhead fishing for me.

#887991 - 03/06/14 12:29 AM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: SRoffe]
NickD90 Offline

It's easy. Grab a pair of scissors, cut the head off and clip up the gut to empty. Each one takes like 3 seconds. I could do a 5 gallon bucket in 1/2 hour or so. I'd never eat em' with the head on and guts fried in. Yuck. When just the bodies are fried up right - they really are fantastic and I'm not a big fish eater.

#887993 - 03/06/14 02:01 AM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: NickD90]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Never had 'em any way but smoked, but I found them delicious that way. Only time I ever ate a fish, guts, bones, fins, and all and enjoyed every bite. And this comes from a guy who is so picky about fish flesh that he usually cuts the lateral line goo out of salmon and steelhead fillets before cooking them. I didn't eat the heads, but everything else had a very consistent flavor that was quite good. If I had any idea how or where to dip smelt, I'd probably do it. Good luck to those who do.

#888018 - 03/06/14 01:51 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: FleaFlickr02]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
I just saw a fishing report...very smelty! but then again it has rained a bit this week?

#888256 - 03/08/14 02:12 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: chasbo]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

excellent dipping this morning.

one dip = 1 limit for me. Others around us were doing just as well.

I don't know how good the smelt dipping was in the "good old days", but I can't imagine those days being much better than what I saw this morning. Absolutely amazing.

Will be eating fried smelt for the next few days.

Edited by cheapskate (03/08/14 02:12 PM)

#888319 - 03/09/14 12:20 PM Re: another day for smelt approved per Longview Paper [Re: N W Panhandler]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
I absolutely love fried smelt. They are for sure in my top 10 favorite fish and I have tried quite a few varieties of fish.

I also love them smoked.

I agree, mmmmmmmmmm

Wynoochee River had a abnormal run show up, early 90's. River was jammed with smelt, mouth to around Black Ck. I remember smoking "lot's" and taking them to work, Aberdeen High School, putting them out at lunch time.......all were gone in short time.

Originally Posted By: N W Panhandler
The surf smelt are even better........

I agree, with this statement. Kalaloch area has a small run, that spawns in that area. The ocean smelt were better tasting.

I always cleaned mine......wife and my 2 boys wouldn't eat them if not cleaned.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |