Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#891403 - 04/09/14 09:17 PM Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Do any of you have a Bradley Digital Smoker? What do you think about it. My old gas smoker has bit the dust and I want to go electric this time. I am looking at the 108 liter model.
Thanks in advance.

Mike

#891417 - 04/10/14 12:19 AM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Idaho Mike]
Fishyfeller Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
I have the analog smoker. I think the digital one would be nicer to help with temp regulating. The downside to the bradleys are the wood smoking pucks .. very over priced IMHO.
My analog one does an awesome job smoking fish to brisket and everything in between.

#891431 - 04/10/14 09:47 AM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Fishyfeller]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Strike Zone has one and likes it (I believe).
Maybe he'll comment.

Personally, the pucks would keep me away and the 108's $600 price point is getting close to the next class of machines.

#891495 - 04/10/14 06:47 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Direct-Drive]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Thanks for the info guys. I know the pucks are pricey and so is the smoker itself. I was also looking at the Masterbuilt Elite Smoker; that is digital, but uses regular wood chips. However; I am not seeing a lot of love for that one from the reviews on line compared to the Bradley.

I have had the gas fired smoker for years. It did a good job, but required a lot of attention to keep the temp under control. With electric, I am looking for more temp control and less attention to the smoker during the smoking process. I don't mind spending probably more than I should if it does what I need. Didn't pay as much in Tax this year as I had saved for so got some money and clearance from the wife to upgrade the smoker.

Up sides and down sides to everything. Just hoping to hear more from users of the Bradley.

Mike

#891506 - 04/10/14 07:08 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Idaho Mike]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

The Bradley is in that price point between the Easy Bake Ovens (Big Chief/Little Chief) and the entry-level pellet machines.
Masterbuilt is probably its main competitor.

In fact the lower end Traegers, Green Mountain Grills and MAK are not too much more money.
I would look at those before pulling the trigger on a Bradley.

The better smoked fish I've seen from pellet machines are those with a cold smoker box attached.
With these you have the horsepower to turn around and do the big stuff like brisket, Boston Butts, turkey, etc.

#891589 - 04/11/14 12:08 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Direct-Drive]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
I have a digital 4 rack Bradley and love it. The taller unit with two more racks hold more but even heat on all racks can be a challenge to get down pat. The pucks are spendy but temp is controlled so your able to time the smoke separate from temp so just takes a bit to get what one wants out of the machine. Spoils the hell out of you!

#891605 - 04/11/14 05:21 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

My wives are not allowed to touch any outdoor cooking device.
I'm still rockin' the Man Card.

smile

#891607 - 04/11/14 05:46 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Direct-Drive]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Zinggggg.... moose

#891611 - 04/11/14 07:26 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: NickD90]
navigator Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sequim, WA
My wife does not touch my 6-rack Digital. I have made everything from smoked almonds to all kinds of fish, as well as brisket, pork butt, canadian bacon, turkey and ham. It is an awesome thing. I too was hesitant, because of the price of pucks, but I am so glad now that I went ahead.

#891612 - 04/11/14 07:29 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: NickD90]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
I researched this a lot before I went with my current set up. I went with Original Bradley smoker with an Auber dual probe PID. the temp swing in Bradley can be big and the Auber is the best thing to regulate it. especially if going to be making sausage or peperoni without it your likely to get fat out. (i did not do any of this before the Bradley but now we do). only other thing i would want to do is add a fan to get rid of hot spots. I was close to buying the digital a few times before deciding on this. but the temp swing (up to 30 deg) was why i went the way i did. I also use a maverick hand held to check temps.

the best thing about the dual probe PID I can turn smoke on and off in different cycles as well as set it to end smoking at a certain Internal temp ( comes in handy for over night shoulders and brisket) and once it is set it is done. can program 8 different temps to end on time or internal temp.

Loading ours up here in a hour with 10 pounds of snack sticks...

besides the pucks cost I am happy with it been a few years now. there are a few that have converted there’s over to pellet.

#891613 - 04/11/14 08:04 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: hybridcx]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

try the Peterson Pucks, they are 10 bucks a bag, are the same amount as 4 bags of chips, or 96 Bradley pucks...

plus they work great..

#891652 - 04/12/14 01:09 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: 5 * General Evo]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Love my Bradley and I use the Peterson pucks. Good luck,

SZ

#891699 - 04/12/14 09:28 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
duc'Hunter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lynnwood, Wa. USA
I have had one for 5 years and love it, pucks are a little pricy but work great!!

#891733 - 04/13/14 06:19 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: duc'Hunter]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
Bradley and Peterson Pucks, can't go wrong!

#891737 - 04/13/14 08:50 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Idaho Mike]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
I thought the Peterson pucks were too big for the Bradley? where does one get these pucks around sequim? I will switch no problem now that Bradley discontinued the 120 packs...

#891745 - 04/13/14 09:56 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: hybridcx]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Petersons do not fit in tube....I just put 4 on the burner double stacked and walk away for a few hours then add a couple more. The bradly pucks suck as they are spendy and
Don't burn all the way which is a waste of money, the petetsons taste better if ya ask me. Good luck,

SZ

#891798 - 04/14/14 12:56 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
My wives are not allowed to touch any outdoor cooking device.
I'm still rockin' the Man Card.

smile

Bummer.
I bought the Bradley for her on purpose.
They make an awesome team.

I would much rather be on the river.

At least say no to the shopping trips and purse holding.

smile

#891799 - 04/14/14 01:31 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Direct-Drive]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Great info and thanks. I am going to go with the Bradley. Glad to hear the Petersons can be made to work in the Bradley. I checked out the Auber PID too. I will wait and see how the Bradley does and add that if necessary. I mostly smoke fish, ribs, and deer and elk jerky. Again, thanks for the help.

Mike

#891806 - 04/14/14 03:21 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Idaho Mike]
Keeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Just a side note:

I have the four rack digital Bradley. When the smoke is on, the temp is 180 min in my box with the vent wide open. I use a cooking thermometer in through the top vent holes and I can confirm that when the smoke is working the box willnot go below 170-180 without the door open. I was just putting up with it and smoking everything in 4 hours or so at the higher temp but it makes the meat a dryer than a traditional smoke.

#891812 - 04/14/14 04:39 PM Re: Bradley Digital Smoker Reviews Requested [Re: Keeper]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

170F-180F is way to hot to smoke fish.
Fish cooks at those temps.
Salmon comes out with that light orange color and is further insulted with that fugly whitish curd.
I know, I've done it with a Totem smoker (too many times)....that thing wants to run at 140 and it still cooks the fish at that temp.

Finally modded it with two Weber daisy wheel fresh air intakes and two 1-1/4" x 8" MC stacks.
I can now run at around 110F and produce professional-looking product.
My last smoke probably averaged 112F for about 14 hours.
Nice deep orange color with no fawking curd.

Another key is to air dry the fish after the brine and get good pellicle established before smoking.
Next I'm going to try a rub and no brine soak.

With a large smoker that runs too hot for fish you can also build a cold smoke box and pipe your exhaust through that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |