Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#892130 - 04/17/14 09:03 AM Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Originally published Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam

Modifications to the fish ladders at Wanapum Dam are allowing safe passage to upstream migrating adult salmon and steelhead.

BEVERLY, Wash. —
Modifications to the fish ladders at Wanapum Dam are allowing safe passage to upstream migrating adult salmon and steelhead.

A crack that was found February in Wanapum Dam resulted in a reservoir drawdown at the dam that had left the original fish ladders high and dry. But the fish ladders have been modified to allow passage.

The Grant County Public Utility District said Wednesday the most recent counts showed 31 spring chinook and 102 steelhead successfully exited the Wanapum Dam left bank fish ladder this week. They were the first of 15,000 spring chinook expected to make their way up the Columbia River to spawning grounds.

Three steelhead and eight whitefish have gone on to pass the Rock Island Dam fish ladders since counts began this week.

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#892136 - 04/17/14 11:49 AM Re: Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam [Re: Phoenix77]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I just heard that from a bone dry fish ladder to watering it up, in an hour and forty minutes the first chinook passed through the modified fish ladder. A large pump puts water in the fish ladder, and at the crest the fish jump over a false weir as though moving up to the next step pool in the ladder, only instead they land in a water slide that takes them down to the lowered forebay on the upstream side of Wanapum Dam. So far, so good. The second ladder should come into service today, well before large numbers of fish begin showing up.

#892145 - 04/17/14 12:13 PM Re: Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The weir/slide will be a fun thing to watch when the fish really get moving thru...I wonder kind of capacity it will have?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#892165 - 04/17/14 01:34 PM Re: Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam [Re: Salmo g.]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
, in an hour and forty minutes the first chinook passed through the modified fish ladder.

Sounds like a hour and forty minutes of swimming in line before it your turn on the slide...wild waves on a sunny weekend...

#892188 - 04/17/14 05:20 PM Re: Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam [Re: RognSue]
Fishyfeller Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
I wonder what their plans are for the fish/smolts when they head down river

#892195 - 04/17/14 06:23 PM Re: Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam [Re: Fishyfeller]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
That is going to be crazy when the Sockeye start coming over. I hope someone up there has a video camera.

#892222 - 04/17/14 10:11 PM Re: Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam [Re: Swifty27]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Capacity shouldn't be a concern until it gets above 12 fish per minute, or possibly higher. So far, so good. The fish counter and a camera are stationed at the water slide because the usual fish counting window in one of the ladder pools is partially dewatered.

When the sockeye start coming like gangbusters, I think it will go to a combination of the two modified fish ladders plus trap and haul from Priest Rapids Dam fish ladder. Everyone is aware it's going to be a busy season, and that's why they've been working non-stop since the draw down began.

Smolt passage will be through designated spill gates. The fairly new fish bypass is literally high and dry and out of service for this season.

#893171 - 04/26/14 01:37 AM Re: Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam [Re: Salmo g.]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

If they can't get 'em past WD efficiently, it could make the fish in' a bit better…

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#893174 - 04/26/14 02:46 AM Re: Salmon swim past Wanapum Dam [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Been googling for a vid of the retrofit in action the past week… so far, nun yet.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 986 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |